Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Grand Cayman

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Grand Cayman

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG MR Platinum Prem
Info on Courtyard Grand Cayman?

Hi - I booked at reservation at this property when it was a Holiday Inn resort. I've contacted them and the say they still have my reservation, so that shouldnt be a problem. Has anyone been to this property since it switched? I picked it because I heard a lot of good things when it was a Holiday Inn and was wondering if it was still a good location now that it is a Courtyard.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Deleted

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited Mar 23, 2004).]
Old Feb 20, 2004, 8:24 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by socrates:
HELL 3 NORTHWEST
</font>
Well, that's a selling point.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Old Mar 8, 2004, 12:22 pm

Location: DTW- USA, NWA Gold, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Gold, Marriot Plat, Hertz PC
Ritz ?'s: Redemption Category List & Grand Cayman

2 ?'s
1) Not too long ago I remember being able to view the category that the various Ritz-Carlton's participated in for MR redemption (cat 1 or 2). I can't seem to find this page anymore - does anyone have a list?

2) The Ritz Grand Caymen is scheduled to open fall of 2004 - does anyone know which category this hotel will participate in for reward redemption?

I called MR and emailed the info desk for the R-C GC and have not had any luck with getting an answer.

Thanks in advance!

Old Mar 8, 2004, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Old Mar 9, 2004, 3:13 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Courtyard in Grand Cayman

Did anyone notice that there is a Courtyard property in the Cayman Islands? Has anyone been there or going there any time soon?

http://marriott.com/property/propert...rshaCode=GCMCY
Old Mar 9, 2004, 3:17 pm

Flyaway,

I'll be at the Westin, GCM in 10 days. I want to check this property out while I am there. I'll report back--I think it is a rebranded Holiday Inn that is across the street from Seven Mile Beach.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Odd - it didn't exist when I was there a few months ago.

According to the Attractions, it's the same distance from the Turtle Farm, 4.5 miles further from Atlantis, and 3.5 miles further from downtown, and 14(?!) miles closer to the Botanical Park that the Marriott Beach Resort . I'm not sure that's possible

No map - anyone have ideas?
Old Mar 10, 2004, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Old Mar 10, 2004, 11:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG MR Platinum Prem
I just got back from the courtyard about a week ago...It is a former Holiday Inn property. This change happened recently, since much of their stuff still stays holiday inn, and all the local information still has it marked as a holiday inn.

Overall it was nice, with an excellent beach section. It is kind of isolated, more north on 7 mile beach than everything else, so unless you want to eat at the hotel restaurant every night you'll need cabs or a car. It was not very crowded at all, and the beach is separated from the public areas where cruise ship passengers go, so we never had a problem getting a chair on the beach.

Overall, very good especially for the price. I'd recommend staying there for half as much as the hyatt or westin, then renting a car so you can go wherever you want.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
Has anyone been there since hurricane season ended?
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:02 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
No I have not stayed there since the hurricane. Actually I have never stayed there. But below is the latest information I have regarding conditions at that property and it isn't that recent as it is from October 27, 2004:

"Damaged, but habitable to some extent. People are staying there. No cell coverage in area. They have generator power. (people are charging phones and walking a long ways to make calls)"

This is the link to the source of the above information.

If I recall correctly the Marriott Courtyard (former Holiday Inn) is on the opposite side of the road from the beach. The previous poster, hrdjeepzj, who indicated he had been to this property should be able to confirm or correct me on this. FWIW, this property has been on Marriott's web site since last spring at least because that is when I first saw mention of it when I was planning a June, 2004 trip.

BTW, the Marriott property on 7-mile beach is closed through March. Even though I am a MR whore, I personally would not recommend this property (the Marriott, not the Courtyard) as it has limited beach front, no beach (OK it has a beach but its only 10 ft wide, and that was before the last hurricane), small pool, and is mediocre IMO. The rack rates at the Westin and Marriott have been about the same over the past few years. For that reason, I usually stay at the Westin using the *wood 1000 point reward for 5-nights at 50% off rates which makes this Hotel a really nice bargain. The Westin has a full Spa (if it wasn't blown away during the hurricane), wide beach (if it's still there), beautiful pool, swim up bar, and nice restaurants. Best deal in Cayman for the higher end, on the beach properties. I am sure the new Ritz Carlton is even nicer but at $600+/night I don't think so.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:27 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I personally would not recommend this property (the Marriott, not the Courtyard) as it has limited beach front, no beach (OK it has a beach but its only 10 ft wide, and that was before the last hurricane), small pool, and is mediocre IMO.
My wife and I stayed at the Marriott a few years back on an award stay.

There was no mention of the beach being washed away, we were pissed.
They did offer to shuttle us down to the Holiday Inn's beach.

Anyway,

With the value of the dollar you are foolish to hang out with snoby britts.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 8:07 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Actually there are not that many Brits there, the clientele is mainly US and Canadian citizens. I go down about twice a year, some years more, some less. This year and next probably less due to the last hurricane. Most of the workers on the island are Canadian, why we nicknamed it the Grand Canadian Islands. The rate of exchanged in the Cayman Islands is fixed on the US dollar at $1.25 US to a Cayman dollar, so now and in the future you may find more Europeans going there as the exchange rate is to their advantage, but does not affect us in the US since it is fixed to the US dollar. With that said, if you are looking for a bargain, I would not choose Cayman.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.