Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Grand Cayman

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Grand Cayman

Old Jan 24, 2002, 7:54 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jabez:
Highlights of Grand Cayman is swiming with the sting rays and the water. That's it. Overall,IMHO,there are many better places to travel to.</font>
I've been going to GCM every year, twice a year for 16 years. When I go there, it's with the intent purpose of doing a couple of dives, laying on the beach without being hassled by vendors selling trinkets, and drinking foo-foo beverages. For this purpose, GCM can't be beat. If you want to go somewhere with lots to do, skip GCM. All the "touristy" things can be done in 1 day.

As for lodging, the Marriott is very sub-par as mentioned by everyone. I am loyal to Hyatt (never stayed at the Westin) as they tend to always upgrade me to the beachfront suites.

------------------
Not sure where I'm going, but I'm gettting there fast.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 12:38 pm

Grand Cayman/snorkeling at the Marriott

I have read here and other places that the beach at the Marriott on Grand Cayman is washed away. Would that matter to someone who doesn't care about sitting on the beach, but wants to snorkel right from shore? How far would we have to walk to have great snorkeling from the Marriott? Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
The beach at the MC GCM never washed away, it never existed.

You can snorkel all you want right there. The slope to deep water is very gentle, you easily go out 100 feet it's only 15 feet or so deep. There are a few mini reefs there and within a reasonable swim or walk up the beach that have plenty to see.

Being a diver, I'd get bored within a couple of hours there, so you might consider snorkeling at Stingray city. You can snorkel there while the divers dive. It's only 12 feet deep and a kickbutt time.

------------------
Not sure where I'm going, but I'm getting there fast.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 8:01 pm
Original Member

We go there all the time, and I think I can give you pretty good guidance.

From the Marriott, looking at the ocean, walk over to the left (south) and walk down the beach a ways. Go into the water there, near the point, and swim out to the reef out in front of Treasure Island. small reef about 30 yards from shore, but good reef about 125 yards from shore. Lots of good fish, barracuda, tarpon, lobsters, etc.

Alternative, walk down the beach to the right (north) for about 10-15 mins, until you reach Governor's House. Good reef out about 50-75 yards from shore. Last time I snorkeled it, saw great lobsters, octopus, moray eels, etc.

Finally, take your car, or a taxi (about an $8-10 ride) north to the Cemetery north of Westin Casuarina, walk past cemetery to the beach, and snorkel out to Cemetery reef. This is the best of the close in reefs, about 50-75 yards out, and has lots of underwater life.

On the culinary side, head over to Hemingways at the Hyatt on the beach and get the best Key Lime pie anywhere.

Djlawman
Old Oct 17, 2003, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Grand Cayman Marriott

My sister is interested in staying here for her honeymoon - I noticed on their website that it says that that there is some beach erosion and has a narrow stretch of beach. Anyone been here recently? Does that mean that the beach isn't the "flowing Carribean white sands" and that its probably an short & narrow eroded beach?

Just curious...thanks!

www.marriott.com/gcmgc

"Due to environmental occurrences, the hotel has experienced some beach erosion and currently offers a narrow stretch of beach. Ongoing plans are already in place to refurbish this added amenity. Guests are still able to enjoy the cool clear waters of the Caribbean, or may enjoy themselves in a snorkel adventure. "
Old Oct 17, 2003, 1:38 pm

I would not stay here for my honeymoon. My family of four stayed here in March 2002 and we were very disappointed with the beach erosion. We stayed at the Westin in March 2003 which has a beautiful beach.

The Marriott also felt quite crowded, the pool area was small and by 10 AM, most if not all the pool chairs were taken.

Service was slow and the rooms were fair. I noticed the property lowered their category from a 6 to a 5.

I would only go back if it was a free stay and if I was prepared to walk up the beach to a better area. Honeymoon hotels should be special and this is not it.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 1:47 pm

I stayed at the Grand Cayman Marriott on an award in Feb of this year. The beach is by no means large....enough room to put a row of beach chairs or two, and to have people stand at the shoreline, with a small path between, thats about it.

Having said that, I nonetheless liked it very much. The sand was very pure and clean, no rocks or debris. In fact, in walking down the beach, this appeared to be the most "clean" area amongst several adjoining properties.

The waters were full of schools of beautiful fish. There is also a reef just offshore from the hotel which was an easy swim and was wonderful for snorkeling.

The ocean is clean and was very warm, even in Feb (air temp was in the 90s ).

The hotel is nice, by no means a palace OR a real resort....and I tend to be much less finicky about these things than other FTers, so if you do a search here you may find differing opinions. Rooms were a generous size.

We were delayed a day by a snowstorm here in NY and when I called to inform the hotel that our arrival would be a day late, they were more than accomodating and offered to extend our award reservation until we could arrive (alas, we had to lose a day due to other obigations). Since we lost a day, I was now sitting on a 5 night award cert for a 4 night stay. The front desk clerk was very helpful, telling us not to worry, that she would call Marriott and get a 4 night cert issued, and indeed upon checkout there were absolutely no problems.

We were upgraded to an oceanfront room and that was amazing. Beautiful sunsets and view of the ships pulling into town. I'd definitely recommend going for that, especially for honeymooners.

A few other unsolicited comments......the Cayman Island have some of the best waters in the world for underwater exploration. If your sister and her fiance' are so inclined, it's a huge bonus to be diving certified for this trip...lots of great excursions that are fantastic. Snorkeling is also a great activity and more tame. I'd suggest an outing to Stingray City....an unforgettable afternoon spent in 5 foot deep, perfectly crystal clear blue water with these fascinating creatures that was the highlight of our trip.

Food is expensive there....at least 25% more than I am used to paying in NYC, so be forewarned.

Hope this helps!
Old Oct 17, 2003, 2:04 pm

I have to agree with all of Flyerwife's comments about Grand Cayman. It is a spectacular place for water sports and a clean, beautiful island. It would be a wonderful place to have a honeymoon.

However, it is not nearly as nice as the Westin which in my opinion is the nicest resort on the island and a much better, more romantic place for a Honeymoon.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the input - I e-mailed them this link so they will check this out...
Old Oct 17, 2003, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Deleted

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited Mar 23, 2004).]
Old Oct 18, 2003, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I touched down about 4 hours ago from a week at the Grand Cayman Marriott, so I think I can give some relatively recent info&lt;g&gt;.

At the very southern edge of the property there is a stretch of about 20 feet where, at low tide, there are a few feet of dry sand. At the extreme edge, a few folks even wedged in reclining chairs - up against the seawall.

I.e. - no, there is no beach.

While the property is showing it's age and could use a good re-do (and some lighting - boy are the hallways dark), my family still enjoyed the stay immensely - one of my 3 favorite spots on the planet, along with St. Johns and Capri). We hung out in the chairs aroung the pool, went down the stairs into the water to do some snorkling, and made the 5-10 minute drive to one of the many available public beaches when we wanted sand.

I hear the Westing truly is a top-class property, and the under-construction Ritz will no doubt be exceptional (they are pushing beach-front condos at only 2.1 Mil)
Old Oct 19, 2003, 8:31 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
As loyal as I am to Marriott - the Westin Grand Cayman is great. The beach there was fabulous.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 11:18 am

Currently, the Hyatt is the top spot on Seven Mile beach, but the Ritz should usurp that position. The Hyatt is very nice, gorgeous grounds and fantastic pool, great gym (worked out while Michael Jordan was there during the basketball strike a a few years ago!) but it is on the other side of the road from the beach.... not really a problem though. Also, you can get one of the condo-villas, which are just like home.

The Marriott was terribly second-rate, although I saw a lot of honeymooners and weddings there. The gym is terrible, the pool small, the rooms generic and average. When I was there, they had just lost their beach, so guests were sent up to the Westin to use their facilities. The Westin beach and pool are very nice and at the end of 7-mile beach so it is far enough away from the riff-raff coming off the cruise ships. The only thing I was a little bothered by was that there seemed to be a lot of small kids, so if you're looking for a more adult-oriented, quiet environment, go to the Hyatt or Ritz.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 12:25 pm

I would not recomend staying at this property due to the lack of beach and lack of renovation
Old Oct 23, 2003, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (7yrs); Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC
I spent a week at the GC Marriott in Jan 2003. There was a slim line of beach at low tide, no beach at high tide. The pool area is fairly small. The hotel was showing its age but the service was very good.

I've heard the best reviews on the Hyatt and the new Ritz Carlton looks to be excellent.

A more secluded option would be to rent a house/condo up at Rum Point. Very beautiful and away from the traffic.

Another (cheaper) option would be the Holiday Inn. A few minutes north and right across the street from an excellent public beach. Maybe not the best for a honeymoon, but a good location :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.