Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa (Mexico) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa (Mexico) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by smilee
You can get a bagel and cream cheese instead of toast. That is what I did most days. And I agree the $10 upgrade at the buffet is pretty good deal as the buffet is quite nice.

They only gave us 2 days to use the drink coupon. We didn't use and forgot about those drink coupons until the 4th day when they were already expired

I agree, being so close to the airport makes this a great destination hotel to go for a short trip to Puerto Vallarta.
Indeed it is close to the Airport, in fact, close enough that I have walked.

Tip: Don't get a taxi on the airport grounds! The first time I was there it cost me ~$350 MXN for a ride to the Marriott. Now I walk out of the Airport and catch a taxi for $60 MXN. There won't be a shortage of Taxis slowing down and asking if you need a ride or there will be a few stopped at the intersection of Av Paseo de la Marina.

James
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by smilee
You can get a bagel and cream cheese instead of toast.
How generous of them. Frozen bagels from the Mexican equivelent of Sysco or Gordon Food Service.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:52 pm

We are considering a trip after Christmas before New Years. While I'm sure it will be crowded, it's one last trip with the SW CP, so looking to return by 12/31 - HA.

I'm planning to use points for the family trip, and I can get 5 nights (1 free) here at the Marriott using existing Bonvoy points. Cash rate is roughly $425 a night during holidays after taxes and fees, so it's a decent redemption. However, my concern is pricing of food and drink at the resort, as I cannot find a menu with prices anywhere. I could do an all-inclusive like the Hyatt Ziva for 40,000 points a night, or CSR redemption for an all inclusive like the Amber Now, Grand Fiesta, or Iberostar Playa Mita for just under 40,000 CSR points per night. For our family of four, considering meals and alcohol for mom and dad, how much am I going to get taken for at the Marriott vs going all-inclusive? We may go into town one or two times, but the purpose of this trip is to relax and spend most of the time at the resort pools and beach. Kids are 5 and 6.

Does this Marriott offer daily events for kids, just as crafts, games, pool activities, etc?

For those familiar with the Marriott and other family friendly all-inclusive resorts in the area, what are your recommendations?

Last edited by dprocuk; May 10, 2019 at 4:36 pm
Old May 21, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: Some/Most/All
I was there a couple of weeks ago. Not a bad place. Random thoughts at the bottom...
Originally Posted by dprocuk
However, my concern is pricing of food and drink at the resort, as I cannot find a menu with prices anywhere.
I thought prices were fairly reasonable. Entrees at Las Casitas, the casual restaurant on the beach that also serves the pool, are in the USD$10 range for most items. Alcohol and water were reasonably priced, too. $3-4 for beer, $5-7 for mixed drinks. I didn't eat at the formal Japanese restaurant or the sports bar.
Originally Posted by dprocuk
Does this Marriott offer daily events for kids, just as crafts, games, pool activities, etc?
There is a "Marriott Kids Club," a separate kiddie pool that has some water features, and some planned activities. I didn't pay too much attention, so you might reach out to the hotel directly.

Random Thoughts: Had a good visit here. Renovated rooms are nice, not overly special, but nice. The pool needs a reno, and it's getting it. It should be closed now through July, which is the rainy season anyway. I paid the $10 for the breakfast upgrade. I don't necessarily like it, but it was worth it. I think both Marriott Intl and the properties share blame in this. Corporate for putting so many loopholes and weak clauses in the T&Cs and the properties for not showing a little initiative. Like others, I walked from the airport. Took one look at the taxi rate and nope'd out of there. (Uber does now serve PV, but I don't know if you can get it from the airport or have to walk down the street a bit.)

The whole visit was just average. Nothing bad, but nothing spectacular, either. It's like the staff watched a short video or read a short paper on customer service and loyalty, but still doesn't *get* it. Again, no negatives, but I didn't have that 'wow, they really value my business and/or loyalty' moment. I don't know that I would shy away from it the next time I am in PV, but I might also be tempted to check out other properties.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by JBKettle
The whole visit was just average. Nothing bad, but nothing spectacular, either. It's like the staff watched a short video or read a short paper on customer service and loyalty, but still doesn't *get* it. Again, no negatives, but I didn't have that 'wow, they really value my business and/or loyalty' moment. I don't know that I would shy away from it the next time I am in PV, but I might also be tempted to check out other properties.
Thanks JBKettle. We are also considering Iberostar Playa Mita for the trip. I was able to snag it for 126k UR points over the same dates as Marriott PVR. Leaning towards Iberostar just due to the fact of all-inclusive and plenty of kid activities. Anyone with direct comparison?
Old May 22, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: MarriottTitanium, LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond,IHG Diamond,Amb,Wyndham Diamond
Awful Breakfast

Originally Posted by JBKettle
I was there a couple of weeks ago. Not a bad place. Random thoughts at the bottom...

I thought prices were fairly reasonable. Entrees at Las Casitas, the casual restaurant on the beach that also serves the pool, are in the USD$10 range for most items. Alcohol and water were reasonably priced, too. $3-4 for beer, $5-7 for mixed drinks. I didn't eat at the formal Japanese restaurant or the sports bar.

There is a "Marriott Kids Club," a separate kiddie pool that has some water features, and some planned activities. I didn't pay too much attention, so you might reach out to the hotel directly.

Random Thoughts: Had a good visit here. Renovated rooms are nice, not overly special, but nice. The pool needs a reno, and it's getting it. It should be closed now through July, which is the rainy season anyway. I paid the $10 for the breakfast upgrade. I don't necessarily like it, but it was worth it. I think both Marriott Intl and the properties share blame in this. Corporate for putting so many loopholes and weak clauses in the T&Cs and the properties for not showing a little initiative. Like others, I walked from the airport. Took one look at the taxi rate and nope'd out of there. (Uber does now serve PV, but I don't know if you can get it from the airport or have to walk down the street a bit.)

Breakfast sucks even with the $10 upgrade.,Lots of Beans,Cheap Condensed Juices,Bread mostly stale But Place is nice,Rooms so so,Location is Great, Employee morale was Low due to not enough Front Desk employees for Sold out Hotel for 5 nights.would not might going Back but will arrange for Breakfast/Lunch at the Marina nearby.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Excellent stay!

Spent 5 days/4 nights at this resort. They had an excellent rate at $100/night which included $75/day resort credit. The resort credit can be used on:
  • Food and beverages in any restaurant including deli and room service
  • Spa treatments* and beauty salon
  • Gift shop
  • Floating devices in pool
  • Minibar
Not included: Tours & motor sports at the beach, phone calls and internet charges, laundry service, kids club, tips *Note that the spa told me I could use my credits on massages, facials and body treatments. However, FD Agent said it wasn’t applicable to massages. After asking that it be escalated to the Front Office Mgr, he agreed to allow it. YMMV.

They also charge $15/day resort fee which includes:
  • 2 welcome drinks per stay (beer, margarita or mojito)
  • High speed wifi
  • 2 X 600 ml bottles of water and 2 coffee packages in room per day
  • Use of kayaks, paddle boards, bicycles, basketball court and recreational activities
  • Tequila tasting at the Tequila Bar for two per stay
  • Access to spa wellness areas for two daily and use of tennis courts
The hotel was beautiful. I’ve never been there pre-renovation, but everything was clean and modern. They are still in the process of building a 2-story swim up pool bar, which is scheduled to be open by Sept 2nd (not sure if they’ll hit that target). I received an amazing suite upgrade and was granted early check in and late check out. The Amb welcome amenity was a wine, cheese and fruit plate.

I prefer oceans to pools, but the ocean was very rough most days and I think I only saw people swimming the first day. The sand is dark (unlike the pristine white sand on the Caribbean side of Mexico) and the waves churned up a lot of the sand making it very uninviting. The pool is large, and there are lots of chairs available with umbrellas.

Plats and above can choose continental breakfast in lieu of the 1000 welcome bonus. You receive it in the restaurant and the servers will bring it to you rather than allowing you to choose from the buffet. It consists of a plate of pastries, glass of juice, fruit plate, yogurt with granola and tea or coffee. You can upgrade to the full breakfast buffet for US$10.

The staff was incredibly friendly and welcoming throughout the hotel. Even the maintenance people would always say hello.

The only happy hour is at the sports bar (8-9 pm I think). However, drinks at the pool bar are very reasonably priced at 125 pesos (US$6). Service is outstanding.

We ate in Las Casitas and Mikado restaurants and the food was excellent and good value at both. As a matter of fact, it was difficult to spend the $75/day resort credit. In our case, we were told that we could spend the credit as we wished and weren’t limited to the daily amount. This meant a spending spree on the last 2 days to finish using up all we had left.

Transfer from the airport works out to about $2 with Uber. The only issue is the cars come very quickly and can’t wait long as they pick you at the bus stop near the highway/pedestrian bridge. So if you are using the airport wifi, you have to be prepared to run! For the return trip, the hotel offered me complimentary airport transportation which was unexpected but appreciated.

There is an adorable kitty named Mitzy now living in the hotel lobby. She wears a collar and can often be found lounging on the sofas. There is a sign in the lobby, with her picture, that says:

My name is Mitzy. One day I visited #MarriottPV and I was received by the warmth and kindness of the hosts and guests of this beautiful resort. I instantly fell in love with all of them and decided to stay here forever. Now I have a beautiful family. I love to drop by the Lobby to say hello to all the people there. Don’t tell Ernesto, but I am also a great welcome host. If you ever see me around, please say hello to me.
Overall, I loved this property, the Elite recognition and the staff. I would not hesitate to return.
C17PSGR, jtwiz, Iguana0 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by margarita girl; Sep 1, 2019 at 1:27 am
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Overall, I loved this property, the Elite recognition and the staff. I would not hesitate to return.
I am glad your experience was good. I have stayed twice, both times a disaster. The first time prompted an email to the manager. He told me to let him know if I was going to be back. I did and was pre-upgraded to a huge Ocean Front suite with a wraparound balcony and a whirlpool. It was good that I took a screenshot. I was downgraded at check-in to a standard oceanview room. When I returned to check-in and showed him the screenshot he sheepishly put me back into that room without saying a word. That was my last time there. It is very close to the airport. I have walked it before.

I stayed at the Westin in June for $103 per night with a $100 per night resort credit. Resort fee was also $15. The lounge was closed so breakfast was the full buffet in the restaurant as was happy hour with table service and a good spread of food that could be dinner. Soda, water & snacks at the bar throught the day. I didn't get a full suite but was upgraded to a nice deluxe ocean view room with a whirlpool on the deck. Hard to burn through $100 a day so I made good use of the Spa.

I have also stayed at Sheraton, nice location and an easy walk to Old Town and Zona Romantica. Unfortunately, they seem to feel that they are excluded from the Marrioott Bonvoy program. They refuse breakfast in the restaurant, even a continental one. The lounge was very disappointing too.

James
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

Thanks for the updated review!

I've been avoiding Bonvoy Mexico properties because of the breakfast cheating but this is a nice property. I've stayed here several times and like the staff, the location, walking around the marina, and glad to hear they are updating the pool. Unfortunately, besides cheating on breakfast, they also follow a one category upgrade rule rather than the program rules.

Of course, the best benefit is how close it is to the airport ... very little transportation drama and makes it easy for a short trip.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

I stayed at the Westin in June for $103 per night with a $100 per night resort credit. Resort fee was also $15.
Yes, you’ve mentioned that rate a few times on multiple threads. Some friends were at the Westin while we were at the Marriott. They had a room rate of $79 and a resort credit of $100/day so I think you overpaid.
Tanic, Bravada04 and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 7:50 am

Yes, you’ve mentioned that rate a few times on multiple threads. Some friends were at the Westin while we were at the Marriott. They had a room rate of $79 and a resort credit of $100/day so I think you overpaid.
Not for June! I think the Marriott is a nice property too, probably the best of the three, just poorly run on my two different stays. I am very happy your experience was a good one. If the room were $29 a night with $200 per night resort credit, I still wouldn't be a guest.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Sep 2, 2019 at 7:56 am
Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
I'll be heading to the PV Marriott next week for our 10th stay. I am looking forward to seeing the renovated pool and new pool bar! But I have to laugh, I got an email from the hotel welcoming me in advance. Of course, it was addressed to Mr. jtwiz - you would think that after all these stays in the hotel, they would actually have a note in my file that Mrs. jtwiz is the Titanium member. And of course, as noted throughout this thread, they want to charge me for a suite. The suites aren't even in the SNA pool of rooms, so you can't get one that way either. But as a Platinum or Titanium, they are happy to sell you the suite at half the normal price!

Oh well, I will stick with my Pool/Ocean View room that I usually get (unless I get lucky somehow.)

I will give a full report after our 10-night stay. But my guess is I won't have much else to add on top of margarita girl's excellent detailed review above.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by jtwiz
I'll be heading to the PV Marriott next week for our 10th stay. I am looking forward to seeing the renovated pool and new pool bar! But I have to laugh, I got an email from the hotel welcoming me in advance. Of course, it was addressed to Mr. jtwiz - you would think that after all these stays in the hotel, they would actually have a note in my file that Mrs. jtwiz is the Titanium member. And of course, as noted throughout this thread, they want to charge me for a suite. The suites aren't even in the SNA pool of rooms, so you can't get one that way either. But as a Platinum or Titanium, they are happy to sell you the suite at half the normal price!

Oh well, I will stick with my Pool/Ocean View room that I usually get (unless I get lucky somehow.)

I will give a full report after our 10-night stay. But my guess is I won't have much else to add on top of margarita girl's excellent detailed review above.
I'm also going to be staying in PV this month (splitting the stay between Marriott PV and Punta Mita) and I was able to select some suite options with SNAs (on a cash rate earlier this year so maybe they closed that option off now?) but like you I'm not holding my breath that any of them will clear! Margarita girl's review was super helpful as well - looking forward to checking out the renovations.
margarita girl and jtwiz like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Iguana0
I'm also going to be staying in PV this month (splitting the stay between Marriott PV and Punta Mita) and I was able to select some suite options with SNAs (on a cash rate earlier this year so maybe they closed that option off now?) but like you I'm not holding my breath that any of them will clear! Margarita girl's review was super helpful as well - looking forward to checking out the renovations.
Interesting on the SNA suite choice - for my SNA choices, it showed only the Pool/Ocean view rooms as an upgrade from the Ocean View I actually booked. It turned out they actually pro-actively upgraded me to the Pool/Ocean view room already (it's what I have always been upgraded to at this hotel.) Maybe if I had booked Pool/Ocean view, it would show suites as an option (being the next category up.) They have offered us the Junior suites before free of charge, but I prefer the view from the high floor Pool/Ocean view rooms.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:15 pm

Just finished up an excellent 10-day vacation at this hotel - it was our 10th stay since 2006. I have a few updates since Margarita Girl's review from the end of August.

Unfortunately, the resort fee has been raised from $15 to $20. Since we had booked when it was still $15, they honored that reservation. But like most of us here on FT, I just feel like they should raise their room rates. Not nickel and peso us to death! The resort fee now includes a Cooking Class (which I did not take advantage of.)

The new 2-story swim-up bar called Nosh is really nice. It has a much larger swim-up area than the old bar, plus a very nice "land side" seating area as well. As a Titanium member, I was invited to a cocktail party on the second story where we got lucky with a beautiful sunset. There was waiter service with open bar (and there were plenty of waiters, our drinks were served in minutes and refilled as soon as we were ready.) There was a table of appetizers, plus some being passed around by the servers. There were numerous hotel managers there, some that I already knew - others I did not. I got quite a few business cards, which is always a good thing for a repeat customer. Very nice event!

Unlike our last few visits, we were told that we needed to use our $50 resort credit daily - not as a lump sum. In looking at our bill, I'm not sure they really followed that requirement. But in the end, we certainly got to use the full value of our credit.

We were welcomed by a chilled bottle of champagne and a tray of lovely mini desserts. We were on the 7th floor, all the way down by the ocean. It was a great view and I was happy to see the renovated rooms. Love the walk-in showers!

We took the continental breakfast as my PAG. While they are technically "cheating" on the breakfast amenity, it was actually pretty plentiful. The fruit platter was large and varied, decent sized cup of yogurt and granola, toast or pastries (in Las Casitas, only toast was available), large glass of juice, unlimited coffee. We used it 4 times on days where we didn't feel like eating a large breakfast. It's far more than I eat at home for breakfast!

There was a delicious special in Las Casitas the one night we ate dinner there: $27 USD for Surf and Turf. You had your choice of any salad on the menu or Loster Bisque, then a huge platter of filet (cooked to order, of course), nice-sized lobster tail, baby veggies, mashed potatoes and rice. I couldn't begin to finish it all! (although the leftover filet made a nice sandwich for Mr jtwiz and I to split the next day...)

As usual, the service at the hotel was fabulous. They have put together an excellent team of people, many of whom have worked there for over two decades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.