Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pre-2019 - Marriott-family hotels in Tokyo, Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."
Print Wikipost

Pre-2019 - Marriott-family hotels in Tokyo, Japan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2002, 5:34 pm

Had a wonderful stay back in March this year:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/001520.html
Old Aug 9, 2002, 8:58 pm

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
The post from Ntamayo should give you a fairly good ideal of what to expect. I would definitely go back to it on my next trip to Japan.. primarily because of the LOCATION.

If you don't get breakfast coupons, expect to spend about $23 for breakbast....

------------------
AA member since 1981
Old Aug 11, 2002, 3:04 pm

Tokyo Marriott Kinshicho Tobu has left the Marriott family

I have a stay booked for this hotel in October, and was wondering if anyone here has stayed at this property? Any input regarding quality, location, etc ... would be most appreciated.
Old Aug 12, 2002, 3:40 am
In Memoriam

There are numerous threads here regarding that property.(try a search for Rennaisance Tokyo) In the end, avoid it if you can.
Old Aug 12, 2002, 5:38 pm

Not much in the archives either:
http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/000628.html

I have not been to this particular property, discouraged, probably like most people, by its location.

It is somewhat removed to the northeast of central Tokyo, in an area with little of interest, except the Ryogoku Kokugikan sumo arena...

Staying there would probably mean leaving the hotel in the morning and returning in the evening before the train stops running, or risk a Y3-5,000 cab ride from central Tokyo.
Old Aug 15, 2002, 1:46 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
I stayed there on an award stay for a week in April. Personally, I was quite pleased with the hotel.

The location is quite convenient, just a block or two away from the heart of Ginza and multiple subway stops. The rooms are on the smallish side, but that is typical overseas (and from what I have heard, especially in Japan).

The staff was always quite friendly and helpful when we needed any assistance. One morning I was charged the cash rate rather than the traveler's check rate on an exchange (less than 100 yen from what I recall). I was promptly contacted and given the additional yen along with profuse apologies.

I can't say much about the restaurants or amenities for paid stays, but I don't have any complaints about my award stay.

If you have any other questions about the hotel or Tokyo, feel free to contact me.

Greg
Old Aug 16, 2002, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I had a really bad experience there in May 1999 (documented elsewhere). Maybe they've changed in 3 years.

Bruce
Old Aug 18, 2002, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Wife and I stayed there 3 nights on a mileage run last December. Smallish as indicated, but that is somewhat typical overseas. Very clean. Even through we were on free nights, they gave us coupons for breakfast. Reasonable buffet each morning. Kinkcos across the street to check webmail. I gave up trying to hook up my own PC.

A few blocks from CENTER of Ginza. About a mile walk to an astounding fish market. Do it if you can.

On my free ticket, I still spent $20 or so each night service charge. Oh well.
Old Aug 19, 2002, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I too was hit with a $25/night service charge on a "free" stay. Making matters worse, I received absolutely no service whatsoever of any kind or at any time from the hotel staff -- not a mint on my pillow, not a door being opened by the doorman, nothing, nada. I tried to get the hotel to drop the service charge but failed. They were quite rude about it, too.

When I returned home, I wrote to Marriott and, after two follow-up letters documenting my experience in every wretched detail, got the service charge refunded (by Japanese check, interestingly).

I would never stay there again. This was my worst experience ever at any Marriott-family hotel (and I have something approaching 1000 nights at many hundreds of hotels over the last 15 or so years).

Bruce
Old Aug 19, 2002, 7:29 am

OTOH, I had a great experience there a couple of months ago. Upgrade to Renaissance floor (slightly larger room, I think), courteous service, etc. It's in a fantastic location, only a couple of blocks away from all the shopping, dining, and neon of Ginza. Your other likely options (in Shinjuku) are not nearly as well located. I would not hesitate to stay at this property again.

-Zombie-
Old Aug 19, 2002, 9:38 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:
I gave up trying to hook up my own PC.</font>
Same here; the data line goes through a pay fax machine which I did not care to activate; even though I got a dialtone, could never connect from this property (could connect from Westin and Sheraton YKH with the same machine).

FYI, rooms on the Renaissance floor are absolutely identical to the normal ones. Only differences are two free instant coffee packages, breakfast coupons, different drink coupons, and perhaps bathrobes.

Old Aug 26, 2002, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
I've never stayed there but, know the location. As indicated, it is quite poor for most things in Tokyo. Whether in Tokyo on business or pleasure, I'd strongly recommend picking your hotel based on location. You'll waste huge amounts of time in the wrong location and spend a fortune on taxis.
Old Aug 28, 2002, 3:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jtrader:
I've never stayed there but, know the location. As indicated, it is quite poor for most things in Tokyo. Whether in Tokyo on business or pleasure, I'd strongly recommend picking your hotel based on location. You'll waste huge amounts of time in the wrong location and spend a fortune on taxis.</font>
Based on location, I would recommend the Ginza Tobu (aka Renaissance Tokyo) instead. It's in the Ginza district which puts you in the vicinity of the subway and JR trains.

Old Dec 7, 2002, 2:24 am

Renaissance Tokyo Ginza Tobu

My wife and I stayed here this week for 2 nights and I felt a need to comment, even though this place has been the subject of several earlier threads.

I thought that the room was spacious (by Japanese standards), the staff helpful and courteous, and the Japanese breakfast tasty and nutricious. The bell captain gave us a fantastic recommendation for a place to have a sushi dinner. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!
Old Dec 7, 2002, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then they must have changed a lot since my awful experience in 1999. That's certainly possible -- and good news, if true.

But this hotel still holds my personal prize for worst experience ever at a Marriott-family hotel (notwithstanding the fact that the staff proudly told me at least a million times, "We are NOT a Marriott."). On top of everything else, they hit me with a BIG service charge on an award stay -- and I had never received any service of any kind, not even a mint on my pillow! They couldn't have been ruder.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.