Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in South Florida [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in South Florida [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:17 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Maybe I'm misunderstanding which Marriott you are referring to, but the Hollywood Beach Marriott has been a Marriott hotel for years and years. And I do believe it is the only Marriott right on the beach in Hollywood. I think my first stay there was 15-20 years ago. It has been a Marriott hotel for well over a decade. So I'm not sure if you are talking about the same hotel I think 1120 was referencing.
Apologies for some reason thought it rebranded to a Marriott still have same feelings re the merger though!
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
For all the discussion about the Hollywood Beach Marriott, the fact is that it is a born-again and rebuilt from its original days as a HOJO (Howard Johnson's). For what that is worth.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Anyone stayed at the Residence Inn Miami Beach? Not able to find a thread here on FT. Is the property new?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Anyone stayed at the Residence Inn Miami Beach? Not able to find a thread here on FT. Is the property new?
Yes it is very centrally located. It is not on the beach and was built just about 1-2 years ago. It is right next to Lincoln Road. There is a Rooftop bar and it is a good budget choice for SOBE. Good for families. Sadly Epicure next door just closed down. It was an institution for 70+ years. There is a little construction going on around, but you don't hear the noise.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
Yes it is very centrally located. It is not on the beach and was built just about 1-2 years ago. It is right next to Lincoln Road. There is a Rooftop bar and it is a good budget choice for SOBE. Good for families. Sadly Epicure next door just closed down. It was an institution for 70+ years. There is a little construction going on around, but you don't hear the noise.
Thanks for the update, much appreciated. ^
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:42 pm

Hi there:

Looking to take the family down to Miami for 3-4 nights before Christmas. Am considering the W South Beach - looking to redeem a suite via the Chase Portal.

1) Any DPs support applying Gold membership benefits to a chase booking at this hotel?
2) Any other worthwhile Marriott properties in miami beach? Edition?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:23 pm

I just returned from a very nice stay at the W South beach and highly recommend the hotel. We were in an Oasis suite which is over 1,100!sq ft with separate bedroom and a separate media room with queen sleep sofa. Also has very large living room, dining area and fully equipped kitchen. 1.5 baths. Great views.

The hotel itself has has top notch service but is not stuffy. They pool is gigantic but I would imagine very crowded at the holidays. They do have (pricey) cabanas around the pool. If you go to the beach the chairs are plentiful and high end - but be aware that they seem to limit you to two chairs per room and if you want an umbrella on the beach it’s an extra $25.

Hotel has a complimentary house car (big suv), free bikes available to borrow, great spa and health club and very good food options.

In the past we have stayed at the Setai and the Ritz and the service at the W was as good or better and the hotel seemed like more fun.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Looking for suggestions for quick family getaway for 3 nights April 16-19. My kids are 10 years old and we are flying into/out of FLL. Looking for somewhere in area with nice pool, beach access for relaxing time. I am Marriott gold so club lounge for breakfast, evening snacks would be nice. I was looking at Hollywood Marriott, Harbour beach or converting points to SPG for Westin FLL. I also saw Turnberry Isle has lazy river but no direct beach access. Any other suggestions. We have car and can go further north or south. I thought about Miami but since we are with kids, don't think I need to spend extra points to stay down there.

To give you an idea, we did Clearwater Beach last year and loved it. Quick stay with pool, beach and good eats within walking distance. Thanks

Last edited by cdoobiest; Feb 1, 2018 at 11:19 pm
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
Looking for suggestions for quick family getaway for 3 nights April 16-19. My kids are 10 years old and we are flying into/out of FLL. Looking for somewhere in area with nice pool, beach access for relaxing time. I am Marriott gold so club lounge for breakfast, evening snacks would be nice. I was looking at Hollywood Marriott, Harbour beach or converting points to SPG for Westin FLL. I also saw Turnberry Isle has lazy river but no direct beach access. Any other suggestions. We have car and can go further north or south. I thought about Miami but since we are with kids, don't think I need to spend extra points to stay down there.

To give you an idea, we did Clearwater Beach last year and loved it. Quick stay with pool, beach and good eats within walking distance. Thanks
None of the hotels you mention are perfect but I would go with Turnberry Isle in a flash over the others you mention. I live in Naples year round and take my grandchildren to resorts on the other coast (meaning East Coast) from Palm Beach in the North to Marathon in the Keys in the South regularly. Here's my take on those you mentioned:

1. Marriott Hollywood Beach (was a former HOJO from the 1950's and is still not much different)
2. Marriott Harbour Beach - Used to be great (was the very favorite of Bill Marriott) and had a major makeover a year ago but has gone down considerably in recent years if for no reason because it has become the primary overnight transit point of pre-cruise and post cruise passengers. Somehow despite its great location the character of the hotel has changed with the almost totally "cruise crowd."
3. Westin FLL Beach - Very mediocre, very ordinary pool
4. Turnberry Isle - This is what I would and my grandchildren (ages 8 and 10) would choose in a flash. Despite not being a beach location, it does have access to a beach club with transportation offered back and forth. That said, we probably have been to TB Isle
10 tens and have not been to the beach club once because we never wanted to leave the pool once. With the flume etc it is without a doubt the best hotel pool in South Florida (excepting the new pool at the Hyatt Coconut Point in Bonita Springs). Then with the Aventura Mall across the street where there are theatres and all kinds of eateries it is a no brainer. Their food and beverage operation is also of high quality. While there is construction going on there right now of an additional tower, it does not make a lot of noise and has never presented an issue for us. This property is a very sold 4.5 star for sure.

Just my 2 cents!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:57 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I used to travel to this location all the time and loved it. It is very sad to hear about the state of the Harbor Beach Marriott. I haven't been there in a few years (more than 5 now). But it used to be one of my favorite Marriott resorts anywhere.

I will add a point about the Hollywood Beach Marriott. It is one of the very, very few beachfront properties with a CL. So as a Marriott Gold you will get access during your stay. But as worldspan states, it isn't really a "resort" property. The pool is about as small as possible. And there really isn't much in the way of "resort" amenities. But if you want to be right on the beach with great views of the ocean AND have free breakfast/snacks then this is one of the few Marriott's that will fit that bill. Back in the day when I used to travel to the area, I would regularly be upgraded to an oceanfront room which was very nice, though I was a Plat during those stays. But if they aren't too crowded, I would think you would have a decent chance at an oceanfront upgrade as well.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
What hotel did you stay at in Clearwater Beach? Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:15 pm

During Christmas week I stayed at a condominium adjacent to the Marriott Harbour Beach, which came with a club membership to the Marriott. The hotel had been one of my favorites, but I had not been there in almost 10 years. While I can't comment on the full guest experience since we were not staying in the hotel, we did spend most days there and interacted with the door, spa, pool, beach and food and beverage staff fairly regularly. I think it would be a very nice choice for the family. The pool set up is large with lots of action. The beach is beautiful, and even during the busy holiday week there was no problem getting lounge chairs (no need to get up at 5am to put a towel out...). Wide selection of water sports and free beach games. The food (and beverage) choices were great and the spa was lovely. While the service was certainly not at the level of a 5 star resort, we generally found the staff to be friendly and attentive. There is an extensive kids program, and a large numbers of cabanas if you want to be off in quieter area.

Turnberry is a higher end hotel (although I think it has dropped a few notches under the Marriott flag), but the fact that you need to shuttle to the beach and around the property makes it undesirable for a family trip in my view.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Any recent platinum experiences at the Edition?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by worldspan
None of the hotels you mention are perfect but I would go with Turnberry Isle in a flash over the others you mention. I live in Naples year round and take my grandchildren to resorts on the other coast (meaning East Coast) from Palm Beach in the North to Marathon in the Keys in the South regularly. Here's my take on those you mentioned:

1. Marriott Hollywood Beach (was a former HOJO from the 1950's and is still not much different)
2. Marriott Harbour Beach - Used to be great (was the very favorite of Bill Marriott) and had a major makeover a year ago but has gone down considerably in recent years if for no reason because it has become the primary overnight transit point of pre-cruise and post cruise passengers. Somehow despite its great location the character of the hotel has changed with the almost totally "cruise crowd."
3. Westin FLL Beach - Very mediocre, very ordinary pool
4. Turnberry Isle - This is what I would and my grandchildren (ages 8 and 10) would choose in a flash. Despite not being a beach location, it does have access to a beach club with transportation offered back and forth. That said, we probably have been to TB Isle
10 tens and have not been to the beach club once because we never wanted to leave the pool once. With the flume etc it is without a doubt the best hotel pool in South Florida (excepting the new pool at the Hyatt Coconut Point in Bonita Springs). Then with the Aventura Mall across the street where there are theatres and all kinds of eateries it is a no brainer. Their food and beverage operation is also of high quality. While there is construction going on there right now of an additional tower, it does not make a lot of noise and has never presented an issue for us. This property is a very sold 4.5 star for sure.

Just my 2 cents!
Perfect summary. Thank you. My kids sound like your grand kids. I think a better pool will win over a beach for my kids. The fact that there is a lazy river and slides for my 10 year olds will make it fun for them and maybe a little relaxing for me. As a FYI, we did Coconut Point in Bonita last year and that was by far one of the better hotel pools with slides and lazy river we have been to. Top it off for only 15k hyatt points and club access made for a great deal and vacation. Sort of what I was looking for on east coast of Florida. Just trying something different but I have back up reservation at Hyatt Bonita just in case since only 2 hour drive from FLL. I think I will book Turnberry. Thanks.

Last edited by cdoobiest; Feb 2, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
What hotel did you stay at in Clearwater Beach? Thanks.
My mistake. We did Wyndham Clearwater Grand which is upscale Wyndham and across from Clearwater Beach. There is also Hyatt next door that are all suites. We did pass Clearwater Beach Marriott and it looked nice also but you need to take golf cart to beach since beach is over busy highway. Pool looked nice. Other option which I mentioned in another thread if you want place with pool for kids is Hyatt Bonita Springs. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.