London Marriott County Hall

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 22, 17, 9:10 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Wiki Link
Exec lounge renovation is complete. Access is elite+1. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Maximum of 2 guests per room for Lounge access. 80 charge for third adult and 40.00 for a child.

Swimming pool:

Adults: open 5:30am-11:00pm weekdays, last entry 10:15pm; 6:00am-11pm weekends, last entry 10:15pm

Children under the age of 16 may access the pool from 9am-7pm & must be accompanied by an adult
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 18, 03, 11:50 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kiwibigdave:
To my knowledge this is incorrect, the nearest the Picadilly Line gets to County Hall is Green Park. Agree that Westminster is the closest though . . .</font>
Whoops. kiwibigdave, you're totally right. I was in London last weekend, but I arrived so jet-lagged that I forgot that I transferred to the Circle line at South Kensington. And if you're doing that, you might as well hop off at Westminster. I had some time to kill, so I went over to Embankment.

My apologies for the error in memory.
Old Jun 29, 04, 12:55 pm

Just Got "Walked" from London County Hall Marriott

Here is the story that just today (June 29th) ... and a few questions for the experts on this forum:

1) Checked in at 6:00 pm for a 2-night rewards stay. Was asked to take a seat .. after about 5 mintures someone else met me and asked me to join them in the lobby. I hadn't stayed at this hotel before, so I thought this was standard procedure. Well I was then informed that they didn't have any rooms left (2 conventions had booked the hotel ... I still can't figure out why the convention people got my room). I was the 6th and last person to be walked today (no other checkins after me). I was shocked! I hadn't been bumped in over 20 years. Couldn't believe it was happening on a vacation stay with the kids. We probably booked this hotel about 9 months ago. We were SO EXCITED about the location, etc.

2) I was offered a room (still using my Marriot points) at the London Maida Vale. They found us a room for 4 people (on vacation with my wife and kids). I assume this is also a category 7 hotel. I'm writing this from the hotel and it is very nice, but not in a great location.

3) They gave me 100 pounds for the inconvenience. Is this normal? Should I have asked for more or just be glad they gave me something? To be honest, the 100 pounds did ease the pain.

4) Was the fact I was on an award stay increase my chance of getting "walked"? (I have Silver status with Marriott). The women who walked me insisted this was not the case.

5) They paid for my cab to the new hotel.

6) I am booked back on the County Hall for the 2nd night of the stay.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Happydad
Old Jun 29, 04, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't comment on the walking frequency with Marriott, but if it were me, I'd take the hundred quid and the free cab ride and a night at the County Hall and call it water under the bridge.
Old Jun 29, 04, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by happydad100
Here is the story that just today (June 29th) ... and a few questions for the experts on this forum:

1) Checked in at 6:00 pm for a 2-night rewards stay. Was asked to take a seat .. after about 5 mintures someone else met me and asked me to join them in the lobby. I hadn't stayed at this hotel before, so I thought this was standard procedure. Well I was then informed that they didn't have any rooms left (2 conventions had booked the hotel ... I still can't figure out why the convention people got my room). I was the 6th and last person to be walked today (no other checkins after me). I was shocked! I hadn't been bumped in over 20 years. Couldn't believe it was happening on a vacation stay with the kids. We probably booked this hotel about 9 months ago. We were SO EXCITED about the location, etc.

2) I was offered a room (still using my Marriot points) at the London Maida Vale. They found us a room for 4 people (on vacation with my wife and kids). I assume this is also a category 7 hotel. I'm writing this from the hotel and it is very nice, but not in a great location.

3) They gave me 100 pounds for the inconvenience. Is this normal? Should I have asked for more or just be glad they gave me something? To be honest, the 100 pounds did ease the pain.

4) Was the fact I was on an award stay increase my chance of getting "walked"? (I have Silver status with Marriott). The women who walked me insisted this was not the case.

5) They paid for my cab to the new hotel.

6) I am booked back on the County Hall for the 2nd night of the stay.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Happydad
The fact that you were on an award stay probably did not increase your chance of being walked, but your only being Silver and not Gold or PLT probably did increase your chances of being walked.
The convention people "got your room" by simple economics. Who are you going to walk, a big spending group spending well into the tens of thousands or 1 room who's not Gold or PLT so per se the hotel is not officially on the hook for much.
Old Jun 29, 04, 1:26 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Gold
You have my sympathy. It must be very disappointing and frustrating to have traveled such a long way with your family and then be put in this position.

Marriott's ultimate reservation guarantee, which applies to silvers, is as follows: "The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee: To be eligible, your Marriott Rewards membership number and a valid credit card number must be part of your reservation. If unable to honor reservation, the hotel will pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby comparable hotel and compensate the member for the inconvenience. Compensation varies by lodging brand (see below):
At Marriott Hotels & Resorts; Renaissance Hotels & Resorts; Marriott Conference Centers; Marriott Vacation Club International; and Horizons by Marriott Vacation Club: Alternative accommodations, plus $200 and 2 free room certificates."

I assume the above would apply to Rewards reservations. If so, the County Hall should pay for your stay at Maida Vale (or refund the Marriott points you used). Further, additional compensation indicated above should include $200 and two free room certificates. If you decide to go back to the County Hall for your second night, you might want to request an upgrade to one of the balcony rooms (with Thames view) on the top floor as compensation for the disappointment and inconvenience you've suffered.

By the way, Maida Vale is a category 5, and in most postings here is not considered in the same quality grouping as the County Hall.

I hope Marriott Concierge is reading this and will intercede for you while you're still there. Good luck, and enjoy London.

Last edited by ohmark; Jun 29, 04 at 4:36 pm
Old Jun 29, 04, 3:48 pm

Programs: Marriott:Plat Hilton:Diamond Starwood:Gold DL:Gold WN: Comp Pass
Red face From a "7" to a "5"

Save your correspondence, etc...and when I got home, regardless of Silver status, I'd be on the phone with Mattiott Rewards to get an adjustment on the points taken from your account for a "7" but used at a "5" hotel. they are good people and will probably make a generous offer. Good luck.
Old Jun 29, 04, 4:08 pm

Programs: HP Plat, AA Gold, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
I remember being "walked" one time in my days pre Marriott Elite. I arrived late night at the Tucson Marriott to check-in for a 4 night stay and found that the hotel was in an oversold situation for that night. They made a room reservation for me at the Arizona Inn and said that it was just for one night due to them being overbooked. Though the front desk staff was apologetic, I was pretty upset but too tired to argue with them given it was 11:00 p.m. and stayed at the Arizona Inn (which was not too bad from what I remember).

The next day when I arrived to check back in, I found the front desk manager waiting for me and apologized for the inconvenience. She told me that she had upgraded me to a suite and then gave a certificate for a two night stay at the property. When I arrived in the room, I found a small welcome basket for me with a note from the Manager. Given that I was not even Silver at that time, I was very impressed with the treatment that they provided after the "walk".

I'm sorry to hear that you had to experience this on your family trip, but I hope you have same post "walk" experience that I did. If not, be sure to talk to the front desk manager or general manager there and discuss your vacation disruption that it caused. I'm sure they'll be understanding.

Let us know how things go and enjoy your stay in London.

Old Jun 30, 04, 7:53 am

Just Checked in ...

Hi, All:

Thanks to ohmark, jnbinpvd and AgentVo for the excellent suggestions and to the others for their input. We just checked in to County Hall and are in a 6th floor room with a balcony and a view of Big Ben ... the wife and kids are VERY excited ... I'm assuming I got this room because I was "walked" last night ... I did ask (per your suggestions) for a view room.

I still need to ask for the 2 nights of free stays. I did ask for and recieved reimbursement for the cab ride (40 pounds) to the hotel. I also need to get some points back (per your suggestions) for going from a 7 to a 5 last night.

Thanks

Happydad
Old Jun 30, 04, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
For some silly reason the San Diego Marriott and Yacht Club booked a Nissan convention at their hotel the same week of the San Diego Comic Con when 50,000+ attendees show up. I was on a four night convention rate stay.

So my first night I was "walked" next door to the Grand Hyatt Manchester. As a Silver they gave me the $200 and the two free night certificates. As a Hyatt Platinum, they parked me on the RC floor.

Worked out well for me as I like the GHM (I stay at the Marriott because my friends don't like the Hyatt and it's right next to the Convention Center instead of a block away) and the $200 paid for my meals at the hotel.
Old Jun 30, 04, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Gold
Hi, All:

Thanks to ohmark, jnbinpvd and AgentVo for the excellent suggestions and to the others for their input. We just checked in to County Hall and are in a 6th floor room with a balcony and a view of Big Ben ... the wife and kids are VERY excited ... I'm assuming I got this room because I was "walked" last night ... I did ask (per your suggestions) for a view room.

I still need to ask for the 2 nights of free stays. I did ask for and recieved reimbursement for the cab ride (40 pounds) to the hotel. I also need to get some points back (per your suggestions) for going from a 7 to a 5 last night.

Thanks

Happydad
I'm pleased to be of help to you, as others here have been of help to me. As to your room, having stayed in one a few weeks ago, there are few rooms in the world that have a view that equals the one that you and your family are now enjoying. In my estimation, it may have been worth some of your inconvenience to end up where you did. Enjoy the rest of your trip, and be sure to wave to the folks on the "Eye".
Old Jun 30, 04, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Just some observations derived from ohmark's earlier post.

"If unable to honor reservation, the hotel will pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby comparable hotel and compensate the member for the inconvenience."

My initial reaction to what County Hall offers for failing to honor a reservation is that they fall short of offering a "comparable" hotel because (a) Maide Vale is a Category 5 hotel, (b) County Hall is located very close to the center and there are several other category 7 and 6 properties located within a comparable perimeter while Maide Vale is in the next "ring" out in addition to being two categories down.

Rates at Grosvenor & County Hall (cat 7 ) start at 250 and 265 respectively, and at Chancery Court (cat 6 ) 250 whereas a room at Maide Vale is 109 ( looking at weekday rates in July ). So while generous, the 100 cash offer seems a little meager considering the disappointment & inconvience which goes with being walked from one of the prime Marriott London sites to a lesser central location.

On the other hand, the subsequent Thames-view room with the balcony the next day is a nice accomodation. And one must consider that it is summer tourist season and that rooms may have been tight at several other Marriott properties.

I'm not criticizing the deal that County Hall finally gives, but I guess that I'm thinking out loud as a frequent London traveller ( and Silver ) who would not have been a happy camper being walked on a family vacation. I certainly would have pointed out the above to the desk, but who knows if this would have made any difference in where you go the first night. They key is that you got a room and you're in London.

Hope your London holiday is pleasant and memorable.

Barry
Old Jul 12, 04, 3:29 pm

Update on Compensation for Being Walked

Because of the input from ohmark, jnbinpvd and jerseyfinn I contacted the Rewards desk in SLC upon my return. Because I was walked from a "7" to a "5" I wanted them to make up the difference. However, they went further and refunded my points for the night that I was walked. Net, I was booked a 2-night rewards stay at County Hall for 65,000. Since I only stayed 1 night (which would have cost 35,000 points), they refunded me 30,000 points. Their agreement is that Marriott pays for the new hotel if walked.

Thanks, ohmark, jnbinpvd and jerseyfinn!

I also asked for a 2-night free certificate for being walked. I didn't ask for this during my stay at the County Hall. The Rewards desk looked up the rules, verified this and then said they would call the Hotel and request this on my behalf. I asked if this was only good at the County Hall or any property. The Rewards desk didn't know. I asked them to call me back with the info (they haven't called back yet).

Thanks again for everyones help!

Happydad
Old Jul 18, 04, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
Thanks again for everyones help!
I love reading a happy ending to one of these threads...it sounds like Marriott "did the right thing", and you came out smelling like a rose!

MORE importantly...How was the vacation? Did the family enjoy London?
Old Sep 24, 04, 4:49 am

Programs: Delta Platinum;Delta 2MM;Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite;Hertz 5*
London Marriott Country Hall

A few weeks ago I was booking space in several locations on the plat line and also reserved space at the above on an award cert. I was asked if I wanted the 40 pound per day upgrade package which was explained as a river view and guaranteed lounge access. Sounded good so I said why not.

Thinking about it , plat & golds get lounge access anywhy save resorts and a room upgrade at checkin if available. So what does my 120 pounds for 3 days really buying me ?

Am I missing something here ? Anyone been there and do they have different policies on lounge access. I called back Marriott and no one there seemed to know either.
Old Sep 24, 04, 4:53 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I have to admit that I took the upgrade as well. I don't know that it was 40 pounds as that sounds pretty steep, but the view was incredible...big ben, parliament, the eye, the thames. As for lounge access, I probably wouldn't have gone for it personally just out of what I like to do. We stayed at the pubs every night until they closed, had a few drinks in the hotel bar and chatted with other visitors, then in the mornings hit the streets and caught a coffee after walking over the bridge. It's a nice property and you'll love it. Very good hotel choice.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: