Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London Marriott County Hall, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]

Exec lounge renovation is complete. Access is elite+1. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Maximum of 2 guests per room for Lounge access. Ł80 charge for third adult and Ł40.00 for a child.

Swimming pool:

Adults: open 5:30am-11:00pm weekdays, last entry 10:15pm; 6:00am-11pm weekends, last entry 10:15pm

Children under the age of 16 may access the pool from 9am-7pm & must be accompanied by an adult
Print Wikipost

London Marriott County Hall, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I forgot one more thing. I thought local calls were free, but we made a call the the hospital across the street because my son was having some asthma related issues, and we were charged 6 pounds for the call. Charged another 3 pounds for a call to Harry Potter to ask if we could come past our reserved time because of said allergy issues.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
I forgot one more thing. I thought local calls were free, but we made a call the the hospital across the street because my son was having some asthma related issues, and we were charged 6 pounds for the call. Charged another 3 pounds for a call to Harry Potter to ask if we could come past our reserved time because of said allergy issues.
Marriott only stupidly provides free calls at U.S./Canada properties.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:34 pm

We are thinking of booking here for a 3 night points stay, husband is lifetime plat and a Marriott retiree and can't believe they are enforcing over 100US/day rule for 3rd. That is actually hostile. We've traveled all over the world, stayed at Marriotts, and never encountered a problem bringing our adult daughter into the lounge with us. Hope we get some feedback from people who are actually staying there with a 3rd or 4th person.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Some photos of the exterior of Marriott County Hall, April 2017

As we crossed Westminster Bridge to _try_ to get away from the throngs of tourists that inhabit Parliament Square, Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, etc., I took a few shots from the bridge, from the South edifice/front of County Hall as well as into the ante area before you enter the hotel. Note that since I was completely unsuccessful at getting anyone from my family to go inside, I gave up myself to make an entrance. Regretfully.

Anyway, given the numbers of people that cross along the south bank of the Thames to go over to the Eye and other touristy stuff, the comments upthread about seeing folks through the windows of rooms and parlours (keeping things english) of the hotel must be an everyday occurrence.

David

Last edited by DELee; Dec 24, 2022 at 2:48 pm Reason: stupid former photo storage site gave up the ghost (and took my photos with it)
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by lanceholt
We are thinking of booking here for a 3 night points stay, husband is lifetime plat and a Marriott retiree and can't believe they are enforcing over 100US/day rule for 3rd. That is actually hostile. We've traveled all over the world, stayed at Marriotts, and never encountered a problem bringing our adult daughter into the lounge with us. Hope we get some feedback from people who are actually staying there with a 3rd or 4th person.
Could you clarify if the over $100/third person is for the room charge or for the lounge access?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by lax2010
Could you clarify if the over $100/third person is for the room charge or for the lounge access?
They're referring to the new additional person lounge access. Elite+1 is free. Ł80 charge for third adult and Ł40.00 for a child. Prior to the lounge renovation there was no additional charge.

My guess is the new lounge policy is going to put a damper on some paid/award stays for those w/ more than 2 people, since there are other London properties that aren't enforcing additional lounge fees.

Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
One question on the option to take breakfast in the restaurant for 10 pounds- does that mean we could choose to take our party of four (2 adults and 2 kids) for 40 pounds total at the restaurant instead of paying the lounge surcharge for children? Thanks!

I'm here now as a platinum member. No upgrade was offered or mentioned and none was available when I asked for our 4 night stay. She said I could check back and see if there was anything available. Haven't bothered yet, probably won't. So much to see and do in London, we've barely spent time in the room.

They are actively enforcing the lounge access. I was not given any wiggle room for breakfast for my two kids. I think they enforce it when there is food being offered. When we go to the lounge for drinks (until 9:30) after food service, they don't ask room numbers. When there is food being served, they've been asking room number and name.

Definitely not worth the 40 pound charge for kids to eat breakfast there. I'd be disappointed to pay $10 US for the offering. I was told I could also eat in the restaurant for 10 pounds per person. We haven't tried that yet, but probably won't either.

The location is great though. Convenient to the hop on bus tour. Would have been great to have a river view, but we have a pleasant view of the dirty laundry sitting outside, which is fine because we're hardly in the room. Staff is very friendly as well.

edit: oh and the lack of storage that a previous poster wrote about is a bit annoying. Family of 4 living out of a multiple suitcases is a bit of a pain.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jch636
One question on the option to take breakfast in the restaurant for 10 pounds- does that mean we could choose to take our party of four (2 adults and 2 kids) for 40 pounds total at the restaurant instead of paying the lounge surcharge for children? Thanks!
That was my understanding. We never did get a chance to check out breakfast in the restaurant, so I can't comment on the quality.

My kids aren't big breakfast eaters and rather picky, so we ended up just taking some to go bags and bringing them a couple sausages/pastries to eat in the room.

There were others taking boxes of food out as well as 3-4 cans of soda to go, so it seemed to be the norm during our stay. We only did it once or twice. First day the guy let us all in, and another day I ended up taking my son to the ER because of asthma (thankfully across the street and free healthcare) so the girls ate as the 2.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:59 am

There were others taking boxes of food out as well as 3-4 cans of soda to go, so it seemed to be the norm during our stay.
My guess is that's going to become the norm for people to get around the hefty additional person charge. But the property might put the kibosh on it in the future if they notice too many people doing it.

Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
My guess is that's going to become the norm for people to get around the hefty additional person charge. But the property might put the kibosh on it in the future if they notice too many people doing it.

Cheers.
I'd be fine with getting rid of most lounges if the hotel would just stock my in-room refrigerator with water and Diet Pepsi.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I'd be fine with getting rid of most lounges if the hotel would just stock my in-room refrigerator with water and Diet Pepsi.
That's a topic for a different thread

Cheers.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:39 pm

That was my understanding. We never did get a chance to check out breakfast in the restaurant, so I can't comment on the quality.

My kids aren't big breakfast eaters and rather picky, so we ended up just taking some to go bags and bringing them a couple sausages/pastries to eat in the room.

There were others taking boxes of food out as well as 3-4 cans of soda to go, so it seemed to be the norm during our stay. We only did it once or twice. First day the guy let us all in, and another day I ended up taking my son to the ER because of asthma (thankfully across the street and free healthcare) so the girls ate as the 2.
Do you happen to know if the kid is 3 and under, will she eat free at the lounge if we get lounge access through gold marriott status? Thanks!

We are looking at this hotel or the Marriott London Park Lane.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:46 am
Suspended

Just an update as I was in London and needed a hotel for 1 night. The Marriott County Hall had a good cash rate.

I was upgraded to a junior suite. I'm told that is as good as it gets outside of the Westminster Suite, which has a private dining room. The junior suites are end corner rooms but don't have a view because the windows are too high to really see anything.

I had turndown service, though I'm not sure if all rooms receive it. Turndown service consisted of removing used towels, closing the curtains, placing two chocolates on the bed and leaving a card with tomorrow's weather forecast written on it. No used toiletries were replaced. Toiletries are Floris, which apparently has a royal warrant but the bottles and bars of soap are quite small. There's no way that two people could use one bottle of shampoo.

The renovation is exceptionally well done. This is one of the only hotels where you can turn on the shower without getting wet. Bathtubs are gone. Rooms have at least two American electrical outlets; one by the bed, one at the desk. My junior suite had a desk but no desk drawers to store documents. Also, there was zero storage space (no dressers!) for clothing other than the closet. Slippers and two bathrobes were provided.

Wireless internet is complimentary and includes only one option. There is no enhanced option. The selection of TV channels is decent. The TV has the latest Netflix-enabled interface. I'd guess it was 42 inches whereas most renovated Marriott properties in North America now have 55 inch TVs.

Perhaps most annoying is the junior suite only has one telephone at the nightstand. There is no phone on the desk or in the bathroom.

The rooms all have a Nespresso machine, which comes with four capsules; two decaf, two regular. Unfortunately, the coffee cups aren't compatible with the machine as they are too big to fit in the coffeemaker. There is also a plug-in kettle for hot water or tea.

Service is good, better than a domestic Marriott for sure but no where as good as the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House.

The executive lounge is now a M Club. It's on the 5th floor, but breakfast for the next month is being served in the restaurant. Presumably this will be extended through January 1 as I imagine there aren't many gold or platinum guests in November and December. The breakfast is a buffet, but supposedly a cooked-to-order menu service is available. The buffet is fairly basic. No omelet stations, no smoked salmon, and no fresh berries or fruit. There wasn't even a fruit compote for yogurt and cereal.

The lounge is a big disappointment. While it is accessible 24/7 with a key for non-alcoholic drinks, the evening food is the worst of any Marriott. You are limited to three snack-size appetizers. If you want a fourth appetizer, it is 2.50 pounds or 5 pounds for three extras. On the night I was there the options were a spinach and onion tart, something with pork, and then pigs in a blanket. The dessert option was a choice between 1 pecan tart or 1 slice of cheddar cheese. Every table in the lounge has a room service menu with very expensive prices for the hotel steakhouse. Also, every guest gets 20% off the hotel steakhouse but the discount is applicable for in-room room service or room service in the lounge.

Complimentary wine is served from 5:30 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. You have a choice between 5 pound wine (Chilean cabernet sauvignon and Chilean chardonnay) or 9 pound sparkling wine (Spanish cava). If you don't like the wine, they have a wine list with bottles going for upwards of 40 pounds. All spirits are charged. They have "cocktails" but the cocktails are made from the wine/sparkling wine. The water is from the tap. Thankfully, the Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Pepsi Max, 7 Up and Diet 7 Up are unlimited 24/7. The lounge also has two TVs and one Apple iMac computer terminal, which confusingly runs Windows 10.

The lounge itself is gorgeous, but staff tells me it is empty most nights with only 5-6 guests using it.

Update: Front desk manager told me housekeeper is outsourced to a third-party housekeeping company. Apparently, they have lots of issues as Marriott staff (which manages this hotel for the owner) can't tell housekeepers what to do. Sometimes they have different housekeepers every day, the manager tells me. The manager also says all the guests have been complaining about the limited food at night.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Nov 11, 2017 at 1:38 am
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:14 pm

Thanks for the detailed report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The Marriott County Hall...
I was upgraded to a junior suite. I'm told that is as good as it gets outside of the Westminster Suite, which has a private dining room. The junior suites are end corner rooms but don't have a view because the windows are too high to really see anything.
First, thanks for the nicely detailed report.
Second, you do seem to get interesting inside info from property managers.
Third, since the main attraction of the County Hall (in addition to location) is the spectacular view from many rooms, I, personally, would never consider any room there to be an upgrade if it didn't have a view. I think whoever checked you in was being disingenuous.
unclepants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.