Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London Marriott County Hall, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]

Exec lounge renovation is complete. Access is elite+1. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Maximum of 2 guests per room for Lounge access. £80 charge for third adult and £40.00 for a child.

Swimming pool:

Adults: open 5:30am-11:00pm weekdays, last entry 10:15pm; 6:00am-11pm weekends, last entry 10:15pm

Children under the age of 16 may access the pool from 9am-7pm & must be accompanied by an adult
Print Wikipost

London Marriott County Hall, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, CX Green, Virgin Silver, Marriott Plat and Hilton Diamond
County hall now offers beer and wine in the evening. Breakfast still boring but staff at hotel pretty good and river view rooms are worth having.

One computer and printer at entrance desk. Lounge usually unmanned and guests can use this computer. Wi-fi access is free to Gold and Plat but reception in lounge is pretty rubbish. Often i have had to go back to my room too frustrated with the lack of connection.
Old May 1, 2011, 6:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I have not been at County Hall since my last visit in November 2009, but I will add a few comments. I thought their breakfast in the lounge was repetitive but decent (don't expect any hot eggs or meat). Evening offerings are weaker. As mentioned, you can use the computer in the lounge when it is not occupied by an employee or another guest. This lounge is open until midnight everyday, so there is no need to use the business center computers.

The wi-fi in the lounge is almost impossible to pick up. I tried several times over a week at County Hall and failed every time. If you are at least gold and need to use a computer frequently, I would bring a laptop and use it in your room.

Also, this property is quite spread out. If you have lounge access, it is often quicker to go to the washroom in the lounge than your room for a pit stop. I saw one employee make an emergency stop in the lounge for such a reason during my last stay.
Old May 1, 2011, 9:11 pm

Was at County Hall in July 2010 and the lounge had one computer terminal that had internet access that guests could use.
Old May 2, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
For purposes of this discussion, computer terminal = computer.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm maintaining the exec lounge open/closed on the weekend stickey & one of the things I ask people to report (there are 6 questions) is whether there are i-net terminals or free wifi in the lounge. When people do mention it, I include it in the stickey re: the property.

Cheers.
Old May 2, 2011, 9:32 am

Sharon,

Your sticky for the lounges has been an incredible help with various trip planning. I think we all need to do a better job of providing updates since the lounges are a popular perk for Rewards members!
Old May 5, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; AA Gold
Stay report April 25th, 2011

Offered a room facing an inner courtyard with, as the check-in clerk admitted "had absolutely no view at all", despite being platinum and specifically requesting an upgrade to a river view if possible a couple of days before via the platinum concierge line. Admittedly this was the week of the royal wedding and they claimed to be quite full, but when asked again they showed us a choice of rooms and we selected a river view, albeit of the Eye only, no parliament/Big Ben visible.

For a category 8, the check-in area in the lobby is downright dowdy -- in need of a good interior designer, a better paint job above the original wood panelling and new furniture, many more flowers etc. to welcome guests.

No platinum amenity offered; successfully claimed the elite benefit guarantee the next day before checking out in UK pounds sterling at a poor exchange rate to the $100.

Air-conditioning in the room didn't noticeably cool the room at all, despite being on maximum fan and lowest temperature and despite the indicators on the control panel being lit up to confirm we were in cooling mode. Had to open the windows in the end.

Concierge lounge unimpressive -- in a small (for this size hotel with presumably many elite guests) interior room with no windows. Distinctly average food offerings similar to a typical US average Marriott. Never greeted by lounge staff once. Quite a contrast with the Chambers Club at the new St. Pancras Ren. that we stayed at a week later with its lavish spread and overly attentive (though not yet super well trained) staff.

On the plus side, the room was perfectly comfortable, although nothing special by Marriott standards, and the location is great for the river walk of arts venues such as the South Bank Centre and National Theatre.
Old May 6, 2011, 6:24 am

Thanks for the update!

Cheers.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:49 am

Transportation to County Hall Marriott London

Happy holidays everyone.

I planned our honeymoon to London and Paris for later this week and was doing some research on County Hall. A few outdated post mentioned that the tube is probably the easiest way to get around, but someone also mentioned that many of the normal public transportation (tube, buses) will be closed for Christmas.

We will be arriving on the afternoon of the 25th to LHR. Does anyone know what's the best (and economical) way to County Hall from Heathrow Airport?

Thank you.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by james1
Happy holidays everyone.

I planned our honeymoon to London and Paris for later this week and was doing some research on County Hall. A few outdated post mentioned that the tube is probably the easiest way to get around, but someone also mentioned that many of the normal public transportation (tube, buses) will be closed for Christmas.

We will be arriving on the afternoon of the 25th to LHR. Does anyone know what's the best (and economical) way to County Hall from Heathrow Airport?

Thank you.
My 'guess' is the Heathrow Express & Heathrow Connect will be running from Heathrow to Paddingtion. I'd probably take the HCon to Paddington & then cab it to CH from Paddington. It's been a while since I've gone to CH from Pad, but I think the cab cost about 8GBP. If you google, you can find the website for the HEX/Connect (also the tube, if you want to see if the tube from Paddington to Westminster or Waterloo is running).

Heathrow Connect & Express pick up at the same spot at LHR, and both go to Paddington. The dif is the HEX runs every 15 minutes, takes 15 min, & is twice the price of the HCon. The HCon runs 2x/hour & takes 25 min because it makes some stops on the way to Paddington, but it's half the price of the HEX.

Alternatively, you could do a mini-cab straight from LHR. The UK/Ireland forum has a sticky on transportation in London that's very informative, and they also have #s for reputable mini-cabs (which are cheaper than the black cabs).

Congrats on your marriage/honeymoon.

Cheers.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No city buses or underground runs on Christmas.

Heathrow Express website says:

Christmas Day
No Heathrow Express trains will run.
A bus service will run every 20 minutes between London Paddington and Heathrow Airport.

City streets will be a ghost town. I would take a cab as it will take much less time than normal.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by james1
Happy holidays everyone.

Thank you.
Hi - glad you are coming to London - you will have a great time at County Hall, it is a lovely hotel in a great location where you can walk to many places.

The information provided by Sharon would normally work, but not i'm afraid this year on the 25th or 26th Dec. Please look at the link to the Heathrow Express for those dates as Heathrow Express trains are NOT running. There is a coach service in its place which might be a bit of a nightmare as there is no public transport at all on the 25th.
https://www.heathrowexpress.com/time.../service-plans

You may find it easier to get a taxi into London though it wont be cheap. Depending on what time you arrive on the 25th, it should be nice and quiet to have a walk around the area where you are staying, along the river thames but bear in mind that shops will be closed with a few restaurants open here and there.

Have a happy xmas and congrats
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:07 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

For some reason, public transport seems to shutdown over Christmas in the UK... Despite the airport running as normal.

I think you are probably stuck with getting a cab. I'd recommend you arrange a mini cab or car service (Addison Lee or Tristar) in advance, as this will be far more comfortable than queuing for a black cab and then listening to the driver wittering on for an hour.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:00 am

IIRC, basically everything in London is shut down (museums, transpo), on the 26th as well - aka, "boxing day".

Cheers.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Distance from Paddington to Marriott CH is 3.7 miles driving per google maps.

Taxi from Paddington to Marriott CH: £15 - £26

Taxi from Heathrow to Central London: £42 - £80

Source: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/...axis/1140.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.