Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London Marriott County Hall, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]

Exec lounge renovation is complete. Access is elite+1. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Maximum of 2 guests per room for Lounge access. £80 charge for third adult and £40.00 for a child.

Swimming pool:

Adults: open 5:30am-11:00pm weekdays, last entry 10:15pm; 6:00am-11pm weekends, last entry 10:15pm

Children under the age of 16 may access the pool from 9am-7pm & must be accompanied by an adult
Print Wikipost

London Marriott County Hall, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Yes, I checked the Travel Inn, but they didn't have a family room available. It's just a quick overnight, so access to dining options isn't a problem - the wife & kids will meet me after work, we'll get some food then a cab over to the hotel. Baths, bed and if I'm lucky Daddy might get to slip out for a beer

Next morning it's going to be a smart-ish start to get us down to the Eurostar check-in on time.

pronan - very interested in your precis of the place and can quite see how you came up with that!

Thanks all for your observations...
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Cyberdad,

Had resigned myself to that to be honest. We can get a suite at a 4* hotel in Southwark (less than a mile away) for £150 incl. VAT, and given there are 4 of us, that's far more appropriate. I'm just amazed Marriott can fill the place at those rates!
Tony,

As I've posted previously, my daughter lives in London. Her boyfriend (from Essex) lived in Southwark for about 3-4 years and very much liked it. (And, essentially so did my daughter...a teacher). Where he lived was away from the tourist venues and basically a middle class area. Lots of neighborhood shops, pubs, and restaurants. I spent some time there with him and came away feeling better for having gotten the impression that this was where "typical, ordinary Londoners" live and work.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Tried the formula posted in the Marriott websites sticky, and lo and behold, it worked. For those who need it, you can reach the County Hall GM at:
[email protected]
Stuart Bowery
Cluster General Manager - London
Used the address to message Mr. Bowery as to a specific room request. He, within hours, responded and told me that he had asked Michael Hewson, front office manager, to respond. Within minutes later, Mr. Hewson responded, granting the request. Very generous, very impressive.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 9:50 am

London County Hall - why not 4 ppl/room?

Marriott.com is not allowing me to reserve a room for 4 people (in our case, 2 adults and 2 small children) using points, but will allow 3. I notice the room choices include 2 doubles which would obviously accomodate us. What gives?

Last edited by State fan; Sep 2, 2007 at 10:15 am
Old Sep 2, 2007, 3:20 pm

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
Originally Posted by State fan
Marriott.com is not allowing me to reserve a room for 4 people (in our case, 2 adults and 2 small children) using points, but will allow 3. I notice the room choices include 2 doubles which would obviously accomodate us. What gives?
Why not book a room for three and then call the hotel and tell them that you are 2 + 2?
Old Sep 2, 2007, 4:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Agree with afahund.

Usually, these restrictions (ostensibly) have to do with fire codes...basically as a function of the number of square feet in a room.

I've booked rooms in London that I know will accomodate 4 people (i.e. king and sleeper sofa), but for 2-3 people or whatever. Then I just showed up with the kids in tow. Its been a few years, but I've never had a problem. (Although County Hall is not one of the hotels where I've done this).
Old Sep 2, 2007, 9:32 pm

In the past (even till last year), I have had no problem with 4 people in a room in County Hall, RCC, Marble Arch etc. However, it is my belief (my opinion - not necessarily fact) that Marriott has been changing the max # of people in a room over a number of properties.

The main attraction of Marriott for me was that I could make do with only one room for 4 people in a large number of international locations. This wasn't the case generally with SPG or Hyatt. However, this has definitely been changing and I am noticing less properties where the entire family can stay in one room. Thus, this becomes quite expensive if one has to use points for multiple rooms. This is the primary reason I have moved away from MR - at least in quite a bit of Asia, SPG has cheaper level properties where it isn't so bad when having to redeem for 2 rooms. Most of Marriotts intl properties are either Cat 4 or higher.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott, AmEx, HH
County Hall for 4

My wife and I stayed at County Hall with our 2 kids last January on rewards points and ran into the same problem. However, when I called Marriott and had them make the reservation, there were no problems. Apparently, computers occasionally make mistakes, or so the reservations people claimed.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond,
Most hotels rooms in Europe tend to be smaller than American's are accustomed to seeing. When I was booking rooms in France and Germany for our family vacation I ran into the same thing trying to use points online. Ultimately I just settled on getting adjoining rooms rather than pay the daily upgrade fee of 70 Euros per day for an entire week, for a suite. Even though I'm Platinum, they would not guarantee an upgrade in advance, which I realize and understand is standard practice. The Ren we stayed at did give us rooms on the CL which was nice.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:10 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Most of the time, even given a smaller room, if there are 2 double beds, 4 people are allowed in the room. But as pronan mentions, mistakes happen. I've seen sometimes where the online system "lumps" rooms with king beds and 2 doubles together, then the king bed limit of 3 persons seems to apply to both rooms. As mentioned, just give reservations (or the hotel) a call and usually they will let you make the reservation with 4 persons.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Copilot23
Most hotels rooms in Europe tend to be smaller than American's are accustomed to seeing. When I was booking rooms in France and Germany for our family vacation I ran into the same thing trying to use points online. Ultimately I just settled on getting adjoining rooms rather than pay the daily upgrade fee of 70 Euros per day for an entire week, for a suite. Even though I'm Platinum, they would not guarantee an upgrade in advance, which I realize and understand is standard practice. The Ren we stayed at did give us rooms on the CL which was nice.
This is a great point. North Americans are either largely unaware of this, or we tend to forget. I once booked wife and two sons in a room at the HI Kensington Forum in London....and had about enough space left over for a sheet of toilet paper!

Marriott FS properties tend to have larger rooms than most European properties, but they can still be smallish for those of used to rooms on this side of the pond. Ren La Defense in Paris is one that comes to mind. A nice enough hotel, but rooms smaller than most U.S. Fairfield Inns.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Copilot23
County Hall used to be the London County Council offices and all the rooms I've stayed in range from roomy to huge by UK or US standards.

There are other Marriotts in London (e.g. Kensington) where there is barely room for 1, never mind 2 people, but County hall is at the other end of the spectrum.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:12 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum,
We stayed at the County Hall for 7 nights on points in June 2006 with two adults a 7 and a 9 year old. We booked two double beds for three people, and had no problems at all, including the executive lounge. We told them when we arrived that we had two kids and they didn't mind. I guess it might depend how old the kids were......

It was a wonderful hotel to stay at in London with the kids. The first room they gave us actually had pods from the London Eye going by our window!
Old Oct 16, 2007, 4:03 am

Programs: Marriott Gold Newb, Virgin America Elevate Founding Member, Continental Minion, Delta Skyminer
Question about HPR and Premium Pound - County Hall, London

I've got a Thurs-Sunday booked at County Hall in London under HPR. Not only do I get the 3rd night free, but the daily rate is nearly half-price! Should I be concerned about saving so much?! I also have a £100 Premium Pound certificate. Not wanting to call London, I called 800 res and they said I couldn't use the PP cert with the HPR code.

Term 9 on the back of the PP cert says:
This Coupon is not valid toward any rate that requires ID or membership. This Coupon is valid only toward publicly listed rates through the 800 numbers listed. Excludes advance purchase, catering, group, associate rate and other contract rates...

HOWEVER, under the HPR rate rules for County Hall:
Stays booked under this promotion are not combinable with any other discounts or promotional offers.

As far as I know HPR is public and avail through the 800 number, but I don't know if it's a "contract" rate. Any idea how I can pursue using both HPR and the PP cert?

-Thanks!
Old Oct 16, 2007, 6:52 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by serenaviolet
HOWEVER, under the HPR rate rules for County Hall:
Stays booked under this promotion are not combinable with any other discounts or promotional offers.
Based on this statement, I would assume you're not supposed to use a PP along with this rate. In reality though, it depends on the hotel and more specifically the person at the front desk who checks you out/in as they will be the ones who would have to take your PP cert.

I have seen hotels allow the use of BB/PP certs when they really didn't have to. So its possible you can use them, just don't get upset if the hotel won't take it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.