Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London Marriott Maida Vale, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2001, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed here before? If so, what is your opinion?
Old May 1, 2001, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, AA Plat 2 MM, Marriott Ambassador & LTP, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I too want to hear about this hotel, considering a paid stay there in June (99 GBP a night), I'm platinum.... Think I'll be upgraded? Wondering how nice the location is for sightseeing...
-Shaown

------------------
-Shaown
Star Alliance Gold (United)
Platinum (American)
Old May 2, 2001, 12:29 pm

I had the pleasure of staying at this property for two nights, one in late September and the other in early October of last year. European vacation began and ended in London.

The property would be considered a modern boutique-style hotel, I think. Was purchased by Marriott last year. Don't know who the original owner/operator was. It is located in a fairly residential area with a couple of pubs and markets nearby as well as two restaurants on-site. Nice fitness center. Very clean and well-kept from the lobby to the corridors and guest rooms. Small but nice bathrooms. Well appointed accommodations.

Took me a bit to understand how to keep the lights on in the room. Have to leave one of your room keys inserted in the wall-mounted control box. Probably typical for Europe but new to me.

The room on the first night was on the interior overlooking the small courtyard (6th floor). On the return, the room was on the exterior (5th floor) on a quiet side street. The exterior room was more spacious, hands down. It seemed to be at least a couple of feet deeper than the interior room, which made a big difference.

The Maida Vale TUBE station is a short five minute walk due south of the hotel. Very convenient. Can be in central London on the Thames about eight stops later (if memory serves me correctly), or about a 20min ride.

Taxi ride to Victoria Station took about 15-minutes in steady traffic and I believe cost around nine pounds plus tip. It is fairly close to Hyde Park and Regents Park. Very popular location for entertainers visiting London. Saw a group by the name of Lucy Pearl on the second night stay.

I liked the hotel quite a bit. It was outside of the heart of London but close enough to be right in the middle of things in minutes. The neighborhood location was attractive and a plus for me. Less busy.

If ever I visit London again, I would consider bunking at this property. That's my two cents.

AtlMan
Old May 8, 2001, 4:11 pm

I stayed there for 5 nights last November. The hotel was fine and the staff accommodating. I found it was about a 30 minute tube ride most places I wanted to be in central London. The neighborhood was a little marginal. When I took a wrong turn and ended up behind the Kilburn Park tube station, which is just north of the hotel, a native showed me the back way to the station, but cautioned me about some muggings that had occurred there. Except when I got lost, there were plenty of other people around anytime the tube was running and it seemed quite safe. I think the property is a good value for the money, but if you are using Marriott points for your stay, I can't recommend County Hall too strongly. It's right on the Thames across from Parliament and Big Ben. Great rooms and great service. It's just a 5 or 10 minutes by tube or foot from much of central London.
Old Feb 4, 2002, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
maide vale stay

Thanks everyone for all of your info. We stayed here for three nights and while it wasn't exactly the Ritz, it was certainly much more than adequate for the 75 pounds that we paid.

A few details:

Check in was friendly and the hotel is nice but a little plain. The room may have been a bit on the small side, but it was certainly comfortable for two people. The platinum amenity, a plate of fruit, chocolates and water was also fairly nice. I'm quickly discovering that Marriott's amenities tend to be nicer than Starwood's. The restaurants were definitely on the expensive side, although not out of line with typical hotel prices. One downside is that there are not a lot of local restaurants within walking distance, so eat in town if that is a concern.

There seem to be some questions on the board about the location. Frankly, I thought that it was perfectly safe, and although not exactly convenient to most sites, it is a five minute walk to the nearest tube station. It appeared that the area was more residential, which may account for the lower prices. If you enjoy walking, this is a great hotel. Local houses are extremely pretty and several tourist sites and the theater district are easily within a 45-60 minute walk (for those of us who walk slowly).

Overall, we were extremely happy with the hotel. If you don't mind paying over $200 per night, by all means, stay closer to the center of the city. But for those looking for a reasonable deal, the hotel was clean, safe, convenient to the tube and I would have no hesitation about recommending it.

-Mike
Old Feb 4, 2002, 4:49 pm

Nice account of your stay. I stayed there in Dec '00, and, contrary to friends/relatives' advice, found the weather reasonably calm (no rain).

I too liked the location, away from d/t in a quiet residential part of town. Being only a short walk to the Kilburn Park underground station, we found it easy to reach the high streets.

Is the concierge lounge still open on weekends? I found this to be a main benefit during our stay during the weekend, being able to grab breakfast or a quick bite in the evening.

The nightly turn-down service was a nice touch as well. I'm not sure, though, if it was a standard practice or because I was Gold elite.

All in all, a good property if you want a relatively inexpensive Marriott in London.
Old Feb 4, 2002, 4:56 pm

I stayed there in October 2000 and was quite satisfied with my experience. Close to the Maida Vale tube station, near neighborhood markets. Not too expensive a ride to Victoria Station via taxi. Clean hotel, warm guestroom decor, ice machines in the halls(albeit small, the fact that they had them impressed me, as an ice lover). Glad your stay was also enjoyable!

AtlMan
Old Feb 4, 2002, 6:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
The hotel is on the edge of a decent area. After walking a mile or so north from the hotel my first afternoon there, I wasn't particularly impressed with the neighborhood, but I've seen a lot worse (like walking down the street from the SFO downtown Marriott into the Tenderloing!). If you are concerned about neigborhoods, an alternative is the other Marriott a mile east of Maida Vale. It's near Swiss Cottage tube station and the neighborhood is almost entirely residential. There are also some decent restaurants near that Marriott.
Old Feb 7, 2002, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
ntamayo,

actually, the lounge was closed altogether, which was too bad. they did, however, give us complimentary breakfast. unfortunately, i couldn't work up the guts to try the blood pudding.
Old Feb 7, 2002, 6:01 pm

Location: SLC, UT/ Delta - PM; Marriott - PM; Hilton - Gold; Hyatt - Diamond, Hertz - President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikeef:
ntamayo,

actually, the lounge was closed altogether, which was too bad. they did, however, give us complimentary breakfast. unfortunately, i couldn't work up the guts to try the blood pudding.
</font>
Mike, take it from someone who grew up on the stuff - you aren't missing anything
Old Nov 6, 2002, 12:35 pm
Original Member

London MC-Hotel Maida Vale

Has anyone stayed at the Marriott Hotel Maida Vale in London?

http://www.marriott.com/dpp/Property...rshaCode=LONWH

Anything good or bad I should know.

Would also like to hear about other Marriott Hotels in London and Near Heathrow or Gatwick.

Thanks...
Marvella

Also any other
Old Nov 6, 2002, 1:28 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/001415.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/001332.html

And there are countless threads on the other London properties as well.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 1:37 pm
Original Member

Thanks for the information!
Next time I'll do a search prior to posting..

Marvella
Old Nov 6, 2002, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
I would be careful of street crime in this (and lots of other) areas in London. My stay there was nice and I really liked the hotel but I didn't mess around after dark coming the two blocks up from the tube station to the hotel. During the day, I felt comfortable.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 2:43 pm

I enjoyed my stay at this property, although it was two years ago. The Marriott flag had just been added to the property. I found it to be very clean and modern, including ice machines on several floors. The rooms were a bit small but well-appointed. Exterior rooms were more spacious than interior (courtyard view). I say this because I stayed in one of each, both with two beds.

The area was not one in which I felt threatened or unsafe. The street which the hotel sits on was well traveled by vehicles. I made the walk to/from the Maida Vale tube station several times, both day and evening, and thought nothing of it. It is in more of a residential area of London, if that is of interest to you.

AtlMan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.