Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London Marriott Maida Vale, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Marriott Maida Vale, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2007, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM, Marriott-PP/LT P, Avis-PC
Just got back from a week at Maida Vale. This is a great property....really enjoyed all aspects of the stay. The underground is very close and the neighborhood appears to be very safe. As an added benefit they were shooting a scene from "Last Chance Harvey" (Dustin Hoffman) in the lobby and on the second floor.

http://imdb.com/title/tt1046947/
Old Oct 15, 2007, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I stayed this summer. The hotel is a great value, no doubt about that. The downside is a crummy lounge and room windows do not open. They say the window thing is for health and safety. The truth is they have lots of pigeons.

The elevator is hilariously annoying repeating incessantly "lift going up/down" over and over and over. Breakfast in the restaurant is busy, but good.

Apart from the Kilburn tube there is a bus line or two (98? and another) with a stop in front of the hotel that go straight down Edgeware Rd. and you are like 10 mins from Marble Arch/Hyde Park.

Even with a couple of bad points this hotel is tough to argue with at GBP 99-139 a night (often with Premium Pounds specials, too!).
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the updates. I've been staying out at LHR Ren due to the rates being less, but if MV comes close will try this property.

Cheers.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Agree with those who say MV is a pleasant property. It is slightly further out but still quite accessible via the tube (Bakerloo via Kilburn ) or via bus. If you know London, you can actually walk up Edgeware Road from Oxford Street if you're so inclined. Neighborhood is quiet and safe.

The hotel is a nice property, well-maintained, decent restaurant and a pleasant bar ( though usually quiet ). Rooms are standard sort of Marriott rooms. And the price is definitely less than the other central hotels. And at a 2:1 exchange rate, this is also something to consider.

Barry
Old Oct 16, 2007, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Good to hear. I'll be staying there at the end of the month for just two nights. I'm landing at LHR around 9:45AM, how easy is it to just take the tube in with two rolling cases?

Also, how easy is it to get to Wembley? Someone emailed me a while back but I've lost the email, I think they said that MV was 3-6 stops away from the stadium and on the same line as I'd take from the airport.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by photojojo
Good to hear. I'll be staying there at the end of the month for just two nights. I'm landing at LHR around 9:45AM, how easy is it to just take the tube in with two rolling cases?

Also, how easy is it to get to Wembley? Someone emailed me a while back but I've lost the email, I think they said that MV was 3-6 stops away from the stadium and on the same line as I'd take from the airport.
If you are comfortable walking reasonable distances (i.e. up to 0.5km) with those cases the tube is ok. It can be cramped and you do have a transfer as MV is NOT on the Piccadilly Line, it is on the Bakerloo. The walk from Kilburn to the hotel is around 500m (1 long and 2 short blocks) slightly downhill to the hotel.

Google maps shows the Kilburn tube just to the left of the hotel.

I'll let you look up Wembely on the London Underground site.

Edited to add, personally, for the time and effort it takes to take the tube, and considering the savings you'll be getting at the hotel, I would spring for the Heathrow Express to Paddington and take a £5-ish cab from there. Especially after a long trip. Total time: 25m (vs. 75m or so)

Last edited by pjoalfa; Oct 17, 2007 at 4:29 am
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:25 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Wembley is on the jubilee line. There is a station called "kilburn" (as opposed to "kilburn park") which is on the Jubilee line with direct links to Wembley. This is about 15 minutes walk from the hotel, a quick bus ride up Kilburn High Road. It is an OK area, not the nicest in London. But definitely safe.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 7:24 am

Premium Pounds?

Hi! I'm new to the forum, so my apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. I'm planning a trip to the UK at the end of December and have seen quite a few postings that recommend using "premium pounds" at Marriott properties in London. Can anyone explain to me what these are and how to get them? Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:33 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
Hi there, lsukd928.

The subject of Premium Pounds coupons has been discussed many times before - use the search facility. You may also wish to search for 'Bonus Bucks' - the US version of the same thing.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA offer - including Maida Vale

$189 each way including two nights in a hotel. Among the hotels listed is the Marriott Maida Vale.

Check out the offer here.

Not exactly the County Hall that I saw one time, but still ...
Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
It looks like a good offer, but it is based on double occupancy. In the fine print, it states that single occupancy will receive only one free night, and you are limited to only one set of free nights (either single or double occupancy).
Old Jan 15, 2008, 9:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
BA runs this promo every January. I had nothing but trouble with it when I took them up on it in 2002. Among other things, they switched hotels on me a week before my stay. All manner of other bad stuff. I've stayed away from BA since then.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 6:57 am

Programs: Delta SM
Recent Stays Here?

Heading to this hotel for 8 days in November. Anyone stay here recently? I'd appreciate any updated info on this hotel or area.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
It's a bit out of the way with a 10 minute walk to a tube station and it can also be hard to find taxis.

Rooms are OK, probably larger than some in London, but small by US standards. The exec lounge is nothing special at all. Small and reasonable to poor breakfast selection.

Gym is OK, with a bit of a route march to get there.

It's my stay of last resort in London. Nothing bad about it, but nothing particularly good either.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Is there anything interesting in this neighborhood? Good, interesting (but casual to smart-casual) restaurants? Good bars/pubs?

I usually stay at the Renaissance at Holborn tube. It's a wonderful hotel as we all know, but I'm kind of jonesing for something different...some other neighborhood to hang out in for a couple days. I work in Central London...as long as there's a Tube nearby, I'm cool with it.

I've also hit most of those Marriotts along Hyde Park...great in the summer when I can run every day in Hyde Park, but I've stayed in that neighborhood a bunch of times now too...

So I'm debating trying out one of Maida Vale or maybe even the one down near Canary Wharf.

Cost isn't a huge issue...I figure these places will come in less than the Chauncery Court anyway, so nobody is going to complain about the room rate. Am I totally crazy for wanting to do this? I love the Ren CC as much as the next guy...just a bit restless, I guess...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.