Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London Marriott Maida Vale, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Marriott Maida Vale, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2002, 7:33 am

This hotel is TERRIBLE! It is NOT in Maida Vale, but right at the end of Kilburn High Street, an area of high crime and very poor shopping. I visited the property a few weekends ago and was appalled by the lax service standards and poor room quality. This is a very poor property in a poor locale and really does a disservice to the Marriott brand. I chose not to stay there and did not receive a reply to my complaints to Marriott customer relations.

Another property to miss is the "Regents Park" Marriott which is more than a half-mile from Regents Park and is actually in Swiss Cottage. Not bad for shopping in Finchley Road, but definitely not the prestigious address that it boasts. Service standards here are similarly appalling, second-rate, with generic, sterile room quality.

In walking around both these hotels, do NOT wear an expensive watch as hotel guests have been repeatedly attacked by watch-snatchers right next to tehse hotels.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 11:14 am

Wow, what a scathing report on this property, Trodheim. I guess it all comes down to each of our experiences and understanding that they will undoubtedly be different. I maintain that my stay there two years ago was enjoyable. Just a matter of opinion in the end.

I don't own any expensive watches and maintain a pretty average look in attire, so maybe that's why I wasn't targeted. Sad to hear about these attacks.

AtlMan
Old Jan 25, 2003, 3:30 pm

Marriott London Maida Vale Hotel???

We're wondering if anyone has stayed at this location? Would you have any comments about the convenience of the location to tube access, etc. Are there any nearby restaurants, pubs etc. for reasonable dining?
Old Jan 25, 2003, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
We stayed there and had a nice time. I'm relying on my memory from about a year ago (I actually posted a trip report, if you use the search function.), but do remember that the tube was only about a five minute walk. There's not much in the way of restaurants in the area, although there was a decent Chinese food place across the street (Of course, we are living in Minneapolis, so all Chinese food tastes decent to us, compared to what we get here. And don't even get me started on the bagels. But I digress...).

The front desk staff was courteous and upgraded us as platinums without our having to ask. The breakfast was a buffet in the restaurant and offered a fine selection of British, um, cuisine.

We had a nice stay here at a great rate. Two thumbs up.

Mike
Old Jan 25, 2003, 11:00 pm
Patron

www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/002174.html
www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ftpasttalk_forum/Forum63/HTML/001415.html www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ftpasttalk_forum/Forum63/HTML/001332.html

Old Apr 25, 2003, 2:00 pm

Maida Vale concierge lounge

Hello,

We'll be staying at the Maida Vale property in London next week.

Can anyone who's stayed here recently please verify if the concierge lounge is still open on Sundays and evenings?

During our last stay in Dec 2000, it was open during those times; just wanted to make sure that's still the case.

[This message has been edited by ntamayo (edited 04-25-2003).]
Old May 1, 2003, 12:37 pm

London Marriott Maida Vale

I just got this for $65 plus $10 bonus on priceline. Has anyone stayed there and have an opinion? Thanks.
Old May 1, 2003, 12:41 pm

Another example of why search was invented:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/002432.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/002174.html
Old May 3, 2003, 8:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
Stayed there about a year ago. Nice hotel, near the underground but not much else. The food sucks, some of the rooms were really warm and small, make sure that you try and get an elite upgrade to a bigger room, if you are elite.
Old May 4, 2003, 10:26 pm

We had a group of 5 stay for a week in March just before the war broke out. The hotel is located in an ethnically mixed neighborhood, with the Islamic Center of England located just across the street from the back of the hotel. When we checked in, our reservation was screwed up, as we had one room reserved for a couple and another room reserved for 3 single women, and they first gave the 3 ladies a room with one double bed. That got corrected rather quickly, and had no other problems. Breakfast buffet was OK but rather expensive for what you got, unless they include it in your room (we had one award room and one paid room, and the paid room included 2 free breakfast buffets on Sat & Sun.) The nearest tube station is about a 5-7 minute walk away. We had no problems on the street, but the ladies indicated they might have felt a little uncomfortable walking back to the hotel from the tube late at night if they hadn't had a man along. Not the greatest place we ever stayed in, but certainly adequate for the price (especially for your price) in London. Didn't eat dinner in the neighborhood, so I can't comment on dining in the area other than the breakfast buffet. We were there for a week and used the tube almost exclusively. We got a tube pass online in advance which was well worth the cost. Also, get a phone card at the convenience store across the street from the hotel and use the phone booth in front of it. Its much cheaper than making calls from the hotel.
Old May 5, 2003, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
Hailing a taxi in front of this hotel is real difficult, & the taxi stand seems to be used by cab drivers for parking. Always phone for a taxi if you're staying here.
Old May 6, 2003, 5:17 pm

Thanks for the advice. I understand that there are two tube stations within 15 minutes walk. Which did you choose?
Again, thanks for your time.
Old May 6, 2003, 5:19 pm

Sorry, I ask about underground because I will be solo part of the time on business and as a female am a little concerned about security after dark... there's always a cab!
Old May 7, 2003, 2:00 pm

The Maida Vale tube station is a straight shot down the street that approaches the hotel. You should pass right by it on your way to get checked in at the hotel. My dad and I walked the route a number of times during our stay a couple of years ago, and yes, it took about 7min. There was always a good deal of traffic along the strip so it didn't seem unsafe to me. But then again, I suppose my definition of safe vs unsafe can vary greatly from the next person. Hope all goes well with your stay!

AtlMan
Old May 7, 2003, 3:38 pm

Kilburn Park station is closer. Which is logical, because this hotel is in (depressing, grungy) Kilburn not (more upmarket) Maida Vale. Alternatively, the hotel is very well connected for buses going straight down Edgware Road to Marble Arch, Oxford Street and Victoria. There have been a few instances in the past of people being relieved of their Rolexes outside the Marriott - like anywhere, sadly if you flaunt it, you risk losing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.