Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Glasgow Marriott, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Glasgow Marriott, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Wembleygal
I was there in April this year Sharon.

Lounge closed on the weekends, but key-accessible for soft drinks (and packets of nuts and crisps). A very nice breakfast was offered in the hotel restaurant (with lots of vege options) on the weekend to Plats & Golds.

I forgot to mention – they gave me a 750 ml bottle of wine as my Platinum amenity and a snack, as the hotel was very full and they were unable to upgrade me.
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
Lounge is open all weekend but only for crisps (chips to our US cousins), hot drinks and soft drinks. Breakfast at the weekends is served in the main restaurant, where haggis, black pudding, white pudding and all sorts of other delectable are on offer.

And weekend refers to Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. The bar is open from Sunday night in the lounge.
Thanks. I'll update the sticky.

Cheers.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickersley

I'd advise against walking...it's not in the "best" of areas & there are certainly better hotels in the City

It is perfectly safe to walk from this hotel to either the Hydro or into the city.
Oh! Totally agree it's safe.
Apologies , obviously my comment was taken other than the way I meant it

"Not the best" = Hardly a part of the city you'd want to see as a tourist
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:09 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
It is certainly not the most glamourous part of Argyle Street.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I was there last month (Sept). I thought the area was the same as anywhere in downtown Glasgow. An easy walk to the train station and then a little farther to George's Sq. Never once did I think it was unsafe. The Hilton is just a block north.

It is next to the Freeway (same as Hilton) but they have double windows. The hotel is a little dated and old, but overall OK. AC vents can be a little noisy. Lounge is good, with OK food, and free beer and wine. I was there mid week.

Big gym facility (more like a large private gym club) with swimming pool, etc.

If you are a Marriot person, then stay there. I would again. We actually walked from the Hotel along the river all the way to the Transportation Museum (close to an hour walk in nice weather) then took the 100 bus back to George's Square.

Nice appearance from the front and appears to be as good as any hotel in the area.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:42 am

It is a private gym, as the public can buy membership. Certainly one of the better ones in a UK Marriott.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Have they started the refurb yet of Glasgow? They said it was going to commence in the autumn and wondered if they've actually started yet as we're down there next month.
Old May 16, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold Elite
I have a five night stay at the Glasgow Marriott scheduled for June 4-9. Am concerned about equivocal comments (mostly on TripAdvisor) about the dated condition of the hotel and that a major refurb is planned. It would be tragic to experience the "old" right before the "new!"
Old May 18, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
We're staying there at the end of June for 4 nights and have read the same ambivalent reviews on TA. I haven't seen anyone comment on getting a refurbished room.

Does anyone happen to have an email address for this hotel? It may be worth reaching out to them in advance to find out the current status.
Old May 19, 2015, 12:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jtwiz
Does anyone happen to have an email address for this hotel? It may be worth reaching out to them in advance to find out the current status.
PM sent.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:08 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
We were last in the Glasgow Marriott in February and was asking one of the managers about the refurb (should have commenced after the Commonwealth Games last year) and he said that it wasn't going ahead.

Although the décor is perhaps a bit dated, the rooms are more than adequate and the Executive Lounge is nice one with friendly staff.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:48 am

Looks no more dated than most UK Marriotts. It isn't a boutique. There aren't pastel shades, funky decor or cutting edge design. But it is perfectly acceptable. Set your expectations appropriately.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Having spent last week in the London Kensington Marriott, I know exactly what you mean about the UK Marriotts...actually I don't really care if I get a refurbished room or not. What I don't want is to stay at a hotel during a refurbishment. Nothing worse than noise, sawdust, paint fumes, etc.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP (LT Pt)
I was there a month ago now and there was certainly nothing being refurbished. As stated, not the world's best hotel and feels a bit dated, but its perfectly pleasant and with good service.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Shigernafy
I was there a month ago now and there was certainly nothing being refurbished. As stated, not the world's best hotel and feels a bit dated, but its perfectly pleasant and with good service.
Well, good to know! I was debating the Marriott versus Grasshopper's, which would be a totally different experience. With respect to price for a five-night stay, both are comparable. All things being equal, as a Marriott gold rewards member, I'll earn points that, obviously, wouldn't with Grasshopper's.
Old May 22, 2015, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Any update on the exec lounge being open/closed on the weekends & what the brekkie situation is? Please post & I'll update the sticky. Thx.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.