Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Brussels, Belgium

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Brussels, Belgium

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wickersley
I've stayed in all 3 many times.

You won't be disappointed in the Ren.
Awesome the Ren it is then. Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Duke787
Awesome the Ren it is then. Thanks!
Might be worth to check with the REN if their lounge is open over the period you are there if it is an important factor - I remember that the Renaissance was quite aggressive in closing their lounge over periods of low occupancy in Brussels which the time between Christmas and New Year's certainly is...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
The Renaissance is indeed a very decent hotel. I like their rooms and it is usually quiet at night (opposed to the Marriott in the city centre where you will hear sirenes and street noise all night). It is not 'in' the city centre but it is a pleasant walk to the Grand Place area (you will pass the Royal Palace and the Kunstberg on the way, which are both worth a visit) or you can take public transport.
Their lounge is always closed during weekends (from Friday night to Sunday night I think) but the restaurant breakfast is nice (though it can be hectic on Sunday mornings). The Renaissance has a full gym and a decent pool as well which can be a plus for some.

The Marriott (Grand Place) lounge remains open during weekends (at least for most of the year) but I find their rooms on the small side (and as I said it is noisy at night). I also find the breakfast room of the Marriott dark and depressing, the Renaissance restaurant is bright and airy.

Just my opinion...
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djohannw
Might be worth to check with the REN if their lounge is open over the period you are there if it is an important factor - I remember that the Renaissance was quite aggressive in closing their lounge over periods of low occupancy in Brussels which the time between Christmas and New Year's certainly is...

Greetings - Dirk
Thanks for the heads up on that - I'll check though if it's close it isn't a deal breaker

Originally Posted by Delectatio
The Renaissance is indeed a very decent hotel. I like their rooms and it is usually quiet at night (opposed to the Marriott in the city centre where you will hear sirenes and street noise all night). It is not 'in' the city centre but it is a pleasant walk to the Grand Place area (you will pass the Royal Palace and the Kunstberg on the way, which are both worth a visit) or you can take public transport.
Their lounge is always closed during weekends (from Friday night to Sunday night I think) but the restaurant breakfast is nice (though it can be hectic on Sunday mornings). The Renaissance has a full gym and a decent pool as well which can be a plus for some.

The Marriott (Grand Place) lounge remains open during weekends (at least for most of the year) but I find their rooms on the small side (and as I said it is noisy at night). I also find the breakfast room of the Marriott dark and depressing, the Renaissance restaurant is bright and airy.

Just my opinion...
Thanks for this! It seems overall it's not worth spending the extra money for the Marriott GP, would rather save the money for food (and extra chocolate from Neuhaus!)
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:56 pm

Seems like this is not a terribly popular thread, went back a few pages and ended up in 2015!

Anyone stay at the Marriott GP recently? How was your experience?

I'll be in Brussels for two nights next month and will most likely end up at the Marriott. Although the Courtyard is about 62 Euros cheaper but I understand it's a bit of a trek to get to all the touristy places + there's no lounge/breakfast.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone have experience with this property and how strict they are with guest count.

Basically I was looking through my reservations and noticed that Citi accidentally booked our room as a 1 person room instead of a 2 person room (even though at the time the rates were the same).

Just caught it now but unfortunately rates have gone up so re-booking (as a 1 or 2 person room) causes the whole thing to be ~$90 more expensive.

If this was a Hilton I wouldn't care, I know that double occupancy on a single person rate is a Diamond benefit (that I've used multiple times to save $) but I also know that unfortunately it's not a Marriott Plat benefit.

Should I re-book and accept the extra cost or play dumb on arrival and blame the TA (as they should be since I looked at my email to Citi and it clearly indicated to book for 2)?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Duke787
Anyone have experience with this property and how strict they are with guest count.

Basically I was looking through my reservations and noticed that Citi accidentally booked our room as a 1 person room instead of a 2 person room (even though at the time the rates were the same).

Just caught it now but unfortunately rates have gone up so re-booking (as a 1 or 2 person room) causes the whole thing to be ~$90 more expensive.

If this was a Hilton I wouldn't care, I know that double occupancy on a single person rate is a Diamond benefit (that I've used multiple times to save $) but I also know that unfortunately it's not a Marriott Plat benefit.

Should I re-book and accept the extra cost or play dumb on arrival and blame the TA (as they should be since I looked at my email to Citi and it clearly indicated to book for 2)?
I have never had a problem between 1 & 2 persons other than one property asking me to pay for addl breakfast cost as that was priced depending on number of occupants.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Quick visit - Grand Place or Ren?

I'll have about 36 hours free time in Brussels early February. I can stay at the Grand Place or Ren. I've never been to Belgium and am generally interested in culture, history, and the arts. I'm fine with walking most everywhere.

Suggestions on which of the two hotels would be best? The price is identical for both.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Stay at the Marriott. For such a short visit, you'll appreciate it.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:34 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by dingo
Stay at the Marriott. For such a short visit, you'll appreciate it.
+1. I’ve stayed at both
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
I had about the same amount of time in Brussels (following a business trip to Antwerp where my offices are) and stayed at the Marriott. We arrived late morning on the train from Antwerp, took a cab to the hotel (it was pouring out and after a few minutes of trying to get our bearings, we gave up!) and was able to check in right away. We spent 2 nights there, just enough time to walk around town, see a few sights, do a little chocolate shopping (it was Valentine's Day and Mr jtwiz bought me some immense Belgian chocolate-covered strawberries - OMG!!)

In any case, the Marriott was extremely convenient for walking around town, beside the first cab ride from the train station, we went on foot everywhere else. FYI. We had a great dinner at La Villette, a charming restaurant not too far from the hotel. You will want to make a reservation (I made it on-line.)
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:23 pm

Marriott is in a great location. If you're a beer drinker, there's a nice little beer bar just across the street.
jtwiz likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:16 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by GiantCow
Marriott is in a great location. If you're a beer drinker, there's a nice little beer bar just across the street.
Completely agree on the location. Hotel itself is a bit dated and not the cream of the Marriott crop, but the location is hard to beat. We stayed there for three nights in April 2017 and had a nice stay. Some pictures from the hotel: https://www.thetravelingexpats.com/r...l-grand-place/
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ended up at the Courtyard EU in my case (was able to utilize 3 cat 1-5 certs that the two of us had accumulated).

Full review in that thread but the net of it is that it was a great hotel. If you are someone who doesn't mind a bit of walking (we love walking when we travel) the location is not bad at all (maybe 1 mile to Grand Place). Very good use of the cat 1-5 certs considering how few cat 1-5s exist in major European cities so close to the city center.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Currently debating the Marriott or SPG Dominican (Design Hotel, so no upgrades or breakfast). We are spending one day in Brussels but then a few more visiting Ghent, Bruges, and Antwerp as day trips from Brussels, so proximity to the train station is a must. So only considering those two properties, although Courtyard EU is also not too far.

Any opinions? Seems like the Marriott is a bit worse of a hotel (dated, loud at night), while the Dominican is nicer but some concerns (AC weak, no breakfast or other elite benefits).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.