Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Orlando Marriott World Center [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Orlando Marriott World Center [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2003, 5:22 pm

Thanks for the response. What is the general condition of the rooms at the World Center?
Old Sep 7, 2003, 1:18 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Well, the World Center is about my favorite Marriott. Rooms, at least those I stayed at were really nice and well appointed, most of them having been refurbished lately.

Muerz

------------------
Visit the Hyatt Review Website at http://www.hotelreview.de.vu
Old Sep 24, 2003, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Marriott World Center - Nice Stay

We stayed at the Orlando Marriott World Center last weekend on a low, low rate. We were upgraded to a pool view room with a wrap around private balcony. Nice. They also had a promotion going where they offered me "platnium for a day". They brought a split of cabernet and cookies to the room. Another nice touch. All in all a very nice stay. My only complaint was the new $5 self parking charge.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 7:58 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by YFLY:
They also had a promotion going where they offered me "platnium for a day". </font>
Were you aware of this promotion in advance, or just learn of it at check-in? Any extra charge?
Old Sep 27, 2003, 1:58 pm
Suspended

I had no prior knowledge. The desk clerk handed me a card and said we want you to know what it is like to be "platnium for a day". I had choices of several rewards, including 5,000 bonus points or I could pick two others (free movie, etc). We opted for the wine and cookies. I had registered for the Marriott World Center on-line newsletter before we arrived. That may have triggered this.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 4:57 pm

5000 bonus points is 10x better than what the real Platinums get.

Old Sep 28, 2003, 6:50 pm
Suspended

5,000 was one of my choices, MSYFLY wanted the cookies and wine, what can I say?

Old Sep 28, 2003, 8:00 pm

Honestly, YFLY, I always take the wine too, especially when traveling alone. When hubby travels alone, he takes the points.

Now, if we got 5,000 points as the Platinum gift, I'd forego the wine also !!!
Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:01 am

Just returned from a 4 night stay at Orlando World Center where I used 80,000 points for the stay. The property is beautiful and it is big. As a Platinum, the front desk clerk (Kelly from Foxborough, MA) was going to upgrade me to a pool view room and I inquired about a possible double upgrade. She asked her manager and it took quite a while (15-20 minutes) to resolve, but the bottom line is I chose to upgrade to an Executive Suite for $50 per night ($200 total). The Suite was very nice and spacious, and the room decor looked fine to me. There was a side door that provided access to a LARGE balcony where an executive could host a party and in the room there was a separate kitchen area with a sink and small refirgerator.

We were told at check-in by Kelli (who just started working there), that the couch was a pull-out sofa. But, when I tried to open it, I realized it was staple-gunned shut. We simply requested a roll-away for my daughter. Kelli also forgot to charge us for the self-parking ($7.00 per day) and the parking attendant started to give me a hassle about it as I was leaving the resort. She couldn't resolve it on the spot and said she would have to check with the front desk manager. Whatever! I thought the $17 per day for valet parking was ridiculous.

Kelli also didn't provide us with our Platinum amenity at check-in, probably because it took so long to check in and work out the upgrade thing. Not a big problem for me, so upon check-out I asked about it and was graciously awarded the $100 credit. Front desk clerk at check-out said she couldn't remember the last time a Platinum member didn't receive their amenity, and it actually took her a few minutes to find the form needed to provide the $100 credit.

The property is beautiful and well manicured. The pools were great, but I didn't care for the pool-side music at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday or up to 10:00 or 11:00 at night (which could be heard in our room with the doors closed on the 7th floor of the South Tower). Drinks at the poolside bar were way watered down. Helpful hint - go to the pool inside and request kickboards and/or "noodles" for the kids. They will give it to you for free for the day as opposed to paying $5.00 an hour to rent them at the pavilion outside where you pick up the towels.

There are a variety of food options at this resort. First night we ate at the Hawk's Restaurant and we dropped $110 for dinner between the Mrs., my daughter (via kids menu), and myself. The $110 was for our 2 meals, one side dish, one appetizer (salad) and 1 drink (just for me). Second night we ate at Disney. Third and fourth nights we ate at Solaris Restaurant. Good food and the prices were right (~$50 for the three of us). Breakfast at Solaris was ridiculously overpriced and was almost as much as our dinner. The Mrs. and I got the buffet breakfasts and my daughter was charged $7.50 for a kids breakfast buffet. That is the most expensive two pancakes (and milk) my daughter will ever eat. The food court was also helpful for a quick bite, fruit, Krispy Kreme donught, etc. The Starbucks across from front desk was also helpful.

Access to Disney was GREAT. Only two miles to the front entrance and a few miles more to the parking lot. Access to Sea World was very good. Only 6 miles away. Eckerd Drugstore 1/2 mile away was also helpful as we forgot one or two items at home.

Overall,we enjoyed out stay at this property and would definitely go back.

Snowcap
Old Oct 22, 2003, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Snowcap:
SNIP
As a Platinum, the front desk clerk (Kelly from Foxborough, MA) was going to upgrade me to a pool view room and I inquired about a possible double upgrade. She asked her manager and it took quite a while (15-20 minutes) to resolve, but the bottom line is I chose to upgrade to an Executive Suite for $50 per night ($200 total). SNIP

Snowcap[/B]</font>
In my view, it is outrageous that the hotel violated the rules of Marriott Rewards by charging you for an upgrade you were entitled to as a platinum. If I were you, and if it's worth your time, I would contact Customer Service and request a refund of the extra charge for the suite. If it was available (as it obviously was), it should have been provided to you gratis.

Old Oct 22, 2003, 1:18 pm

She was going to give me an upgrade (because of my Platinum status) to a pool-view room. FYI - The reservation I made when I booked the room using my Marriott Reward (MR) points was for a standard room. After informing me of that upgrade, I asked about another upgrade possibly to a larger room. According to the front desk manager, I could make an immediate request via MR for an upgrade certificate, but I didn't have enough points to do so. Otherwise, an upgrade to this particular suite was a cost of $50 per day and she said they would have to charge my credit card at that point, and it would not appear on my check-out folio. Never received a receipt for the $200 so I don't know if she processed it in the end. Given that Kelli was so new and she forgot a few other things (self-parking fee, PLatinum amenity) it wouldn't suprise me if she didn't charge me at all. I didn't think I was being shortchanged or being taken advantage of. I was happy to get the large suite for only $50 per day.

Snowcap

[This message has been edited by Snowcap (edited 10-22-2003).]
Old Oct 22, 2003, 3:07 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Snowcap; everybody is entitled to their feelings, and I respect yours. But for me, when a major corporation makes the following committment in exchange for my business, I expect them to make good on their promise, without making me beg, plead, or pay an extra $50 per day: "When you check in, we'll upgrade you to our finest available accommodations - whenever we can - at no additional charge. Not available at Marriott Vacation Club International locations."
Old Oct 22, 2003, 3:37 pm

Marriott lost my business because of their two lies

1. Upgrades
2. Fastest way to a free room

Neither are true

I wish they would address both
Old Oct 23, 2003, 7:19 am

Thanks Ohmark! I guess since this was the first real getaway-and-relax kind of vacation in over 5 years with my family, I didn't really think it through. I was just happy to get away and have some fun. But, you are right. If the suite was available for all four nights, then they should have offered it to me (without requesting $50 per night) as opposed to just offering me an upgrade to a standard pool-view room. I also didn't think it through since this was the first time I've ever used my MR points for a stay. Oh well - live and learn.

Snowcap
Old Oct 23, 2003, 9:08 am

I can not believe that the Front Desk Manager asked you to pay for that upgrade! So much for that retraining we heard about earlier this year! You were entitled to the upgrade regardless of how you were paying for the stay rewards, etc. If this charge shows up on your cc statement I would call the hotel and ask to speak to the GM to get it removed. If that doesn't work call Mr. Marriotts Customer Service number and explain the situation to them. Keep us posted!
edited for typos!)

[This message has been edited by OHNO!NOTUAL (edited 10-23-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.