Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:29 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lockman21
Just booked an Ocean View King room at the JW Marriott in Cancun for a weekend trip with my girlfriend. Anyone that's been, any recommendations for what rooms are best?
You might want to check out the specific hotel thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-thread.html
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
You might want to check out the specific hotel thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-thread.html
Thanks! I was looking for this. I'm clearly not good at finding threads. This is really helpful.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lockman21
Thanks! I was looking for this. I'm clearly not good at finding threads. This is really helpful.
Since I'm planning on staying there in a couple of weeks, I had already searched for it.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: United 1P
Am I right that neither JW nor Marriott Cancun offer lounge breakfast for Plat or Titanium elite members? They only offer continental breakfast for member + 1 in restaurants, right?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by kgkg
Am I right that neither JW nor Marriott Cancun offer lounge breakfast for Plat or Titanium elite members? They only offer continental breakfast for member + 1 in restaurants, right?
All Marriott properties in Cancun are resorts. So no complimentary breakfast because of elite status. You do get a choice at check-in of an arrival welcome gift, one of which is daily breakfast. Whether or not these properties actually provide a breakfast is another question. There certainly are people on here who believe a continental breakfast isn't compliant.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by itravelalot
All Marriott properties in Cancun are resorts. So no complimentary breakfast because of elite status. You do get a choice at check-in of an arrival welcome gift, one of which is daily breakfast. Whether or not these properties actually provide a breakfast is another question. There certainly are people on here who believe a continental breakfast isn't compliant.
We stayed there last month; I'm Plat Elite.
We received a continental breakfast for two, for each day of our stay, with the option to upgrade to the buffet.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: United 1P
Thank you, Jerry and ITravelaLot
Originally Posted by jerry305
We stayed there last month; I'm Plat Elite.
We received a continental breakfast for two, for each day of our stay, with the option to upgrade to the buffet.
Originally Posted by itravelalot
Old May 20, 2019, 10:03 pm

Ritz Cancun reward stay - cant pay to upgrade to club lounge?

I was hoping to book Ritz Cancun for 5 nights next March and pay to use the club lounge. I just received the email from Ritz reservation and was told they do NOT sell club lounge access so I cant pay a fee to upgrade to club room if I book on rewards.

Does this sound right at all? Am I missing something here? (I emailed TWICE to confirm and the same person replied with same answers.)

thanks
Old May 21, 2019, 6:04 am

I've not stayed at the Cancun RC, but the Cayman RC offered a 'per night' cash upgrade to their club level if I wanted it (this was a few years ago and well before the "Bonvoy" program merge though.)

My guess is it is up to the hotel to decide what they will or will not allow. You might try to see if you can contact the GM directly to see if this is just that one person's decision or the hotel's decision.) Another option is to wait and try to upgrade when you check-in.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:33 am

I've not stayed at the Cancun RC, but the Cayman RC offered a 'per night' cash upgrade to their club level if I wanted it (this was a few years ago and well before the "Bonvoy" program merge though.)

My guess is it is up to the hotel to decide what they will or will not allow. You might try to see if you can contact the GM directly to see if this is just that one person's decision or the hotel's decision.) Another option is to wait and try to upgrade when you check-in.
Thanks for letting me know! We have titanium + platinum in the family so we might choose another property if we cant pay to get the club rooms. It just seems like a good deal to pay 50000pt a night or 200000 for 5 nights at Ritz Cancun for spring break (cash room is about USD$600 a night). On a side note, if anyone is looking at Ritz Cancun, the reward room is only for a KING bed NOT two beds which cost more in cash.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:24 am

Earlier this year, we visited Cancun and decided to stay at the JW instead of the RC. Both were 50K points per night, but the RC charges almost $50/night extra with a resort fee (which the JW doesn't have at all.) The Club 91 lounge at the JW is an upgraded lounge much more in line with an RC lounge (i.e. free alcohol, 5+ food presentations throughout the day, etc.) So it might be a decent alternative for you (and they do offer Club 91 rooms for awards and on awards with cash upgrades.)

I almost pulled the plug on a 2nd trip for the 1st week of June. The JW has a $239/night rate for their Premium view, Club 91 rooms that comes with $100/night resort credit. Unfortunately, my wife couldn't fit it into her schedule. So we had to pass on it.

Last edited by hhoope01; May 21, 2019 at 10:30 am
Old May 21, 2019, 11:49 am

Earlier this year, we visited Cancun and decided to stay at the JW instead of the RC. Both were 50K points per night, but the RC charges almost $50/night extra with a resort fee (which the JW doesn't have at all.) The Club 91 lounge at the JW is an upgraded lounge much more in line with an RC lounge (i.e. free alcohol, 5+ food presentations throughout the day, etc.) So it might be a decent alternative for you (and they do offer Club 91 rooms for awards and on awards with cash upgrades.)

I almost pulled the plug on a 2nd trip for the 1st week of June. The JW has a $239/night rate for their Premium view, Club 91 rooms that comes with $100/night resort credit. Unfortunately, my wife couldn't fit it into her schedule. So we had to pass on it.
$239 is a DEAL! I checked my dates, regular room at jw Cancun is about USD$350 a night which is much cheaper than Ritz but will cost me 200000pt as well for 5 nights. I am leaning towards using 200000pt for the room and pay USD$1000 for the Club lounge at JW marriott because it says the fee is for 2 adults and 2 kids under 5. BUT Ritz Cancun would be charging my 5y old like $75 USd per night+19% taxes to use the lounge IF we do get it on the spot when we check in.

Thanks! Now I just need to read more reviews on the food offerings at both lounge and if it isnt too much of a difference, it will be JW Marriott!
Old May 21, 2019, 12:03 pm

BTW, if your dates are flexible, the JW still has those rates, just checked June 2nd-7th (5 nights). And they are still showing that $239/night rate with the $100/night resort credit.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:55 pm

Request for advice

Hello FTers,
I'm looking for input for a stay in Cancun in July. I am taking my wife for a surprise weekend for her birthday. I'd like to "wow" her with a great room, perhaps an upgrade. She saw the JW Marriott online a while back and thought it looked nice. I have 3-35k award night certificates, and 5 suite night awards available to attempt to book a suite. I am an Ambassador Elite. Potentials seem to be the JW Marriott, Club 91 at JW, Westin Lagunamar or The Ritz Carlton, just paying cash, or using the 35k award nights for Marriott Cancun or the Westin Resort and Spa. Is Club 91 worth it? She likes nice rooms and a nice beach. I know all of those do not have suites available, such as Lagunamar. I really appreciate any insight from those who have weighed this decision and what you have chosen.

Nathan
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You might want to try asking your Ambassador for advice. Explain to him/her the things that your wife would appreciate and ask for suggestions. The Ambassador might be able to see, for example, the number of standard suites that are currently available at different properties for your dates (don't expect to be told this information) and be able to say when/where SNA upgrades look more likely at the current time, of course with no guarantees.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.