Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I've been to Cancun five times. You do not need nor want a rental car.

Why Cancun? You might get more from your status and even save some money going somewhere else. Puerto Rico? Or even other parts of Mexico, like Los Cabos? Cancun is basically Las Vegas on the ocean.
Rental cars just too much of a pain down there? Heading to Cancun because it checks the box for a bunch of things we are looking for. Not the least of which is a non-stop roundtrip flight on Southwest airlines on points and companion passes for all four of us. Been to Puerto Rico and Los Cabos/San Jose several times and wanting a new experience.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Rental cars just too much of a pain down there? Heading to Cancun because it checks the box for a bunch of things we are looking for. Not the least of which is a non-stop roundtrip flight on Southwest airlines on points and companion passes for all four of us. Been to Puerto Rico and Los Cabos/San Jose several times and wanting a new experience.
We go to Cancun 4-6 times per year (quick flight from Texas w/great fares frequently available). Prefer the Hyatt's but the Westin and Ritz look nice, too. I completely disagree about it being "Vegas on the Ocean.." For one thing, Cancun is planned. Gardens and landscaping are everywhere. Think more like Disney World. Depending on where you stay, Cancun offers gorgeous hotels, amazing beaches (WITHOUT many vendors or people begging), cleanliness I don't find in other parts of Mexico outside Yucatan, tons to do, not too crowded, and yes, VERY safe (especially at high end hotels). If anything, I'd compare to a better planned, MUCH less dense/crowded version of Waikiki. What I'm saying applies to the main part of Cancun, known as the Hotel Zone. If you are staying down the coast, towards Playa Del Carmen, then you are in for a completely different experience.

Anyway, as for rental cars... don't do it. You don't need one. The taxis are ample, cheap, and safe. Don't try to use Uber or Lyft. Also, within Cancun proper there's a very cheap and simple public bus system that will take you anywhere. The busses are clean but the drivers are a bit "loco" to say the least. Fun experience. For your transfers from the airport, consider USA Transfers or Canada Transfers. We use the former, but both have an excellent reputation and USA is VERY easy to deal with, 1000% reliable, clean, safe, etc.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:44 pm

My family (me, spouse, kids 15&14) are thinking of heading to the Marriott Cancun resort in March for Spring Break. I'm Plat Premier (probably will lose in a week) and Lifetime Platinum with Marriott. Most likely booking 5 or 6 nights with points. Browsed the thread and it looks like it will meet our needs for our vacation. Not going to have a car, just want to relax with the beach/pool and take a few excursions and see the area. Couple of specific questions for those of you with experience with the property:

- Any thoughts on the Executive Suite vs. Caribbean Suite? The former looks like it is just a little larger by like 30 sq ft but has a smaller balcony. Kids will just share the pull out couch, but I guess could do a roll-away if needed.
- The Executive Suite is available for points and the Caribbean Suite is available for cash+points redemption
- Should I look to book activities before I head out there or just wait to do it through the hotel concierge? Things like snorkeling, boat excursion, maybe the water park, etc
- Because it's a "resort", I'm not expecting to get anything for my Plat Premier/LT Plat status...but is there anything that might surprise me as being offered?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
ALSO w/kids check out the X Parks. These are very high end theme parks located about an hour south of Cancun. Transportation is available. Imagine Disney-level quality but without the technology-driven rides. Things are more basic but still very very creative, detailed, and high end. X-PLOR is very high energy but also very thrilling... Check out the reviews: XCARET, XPLOR, XENSES. XEL-HA is supposed to be amazing (haven't been) BUT it's a lot further away from Cancun.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Why Cancun? You might get more from your status and even save some money going somewhere else. Puerto Rico? Or even other parts of Mexico, like Los Cabos? Cancun is basically Las Vegas on the ocean.
Why are we trying to talk OP out of his plans (as opposed to answering his queries)? He won't save any money going to PR, it's quite expensive, and IMO totally not worth it. Inferior beaches as well. And it's not like Cabo is some authentic Mexican experience, either.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Cancun has a relatively good bus system in the touristy hotel zone. It's cheap and easy. There is no need for a taxi or rental car. Plus, renting a car is expensive, there's parking and then the stress over insurance coverage, theft, police bribes (if you get pulled over for some nonexistent driving infraction) and the risk of damage to the car.

I've stayed twice at the Intercontinental Presidente, once at the Marriott (is it still the Casa Magna?), once at the Westin Resort and once at the old Holiday Inn (no longer flagged as a Holiday Inn).

The Westin's location was nice because it was near the end of the hotel zone, which made it quieter than other hotels. This could be an important consideration in late February or early March, though I think Cancun no longer gets the spring break numbers that it did 10 or 15 years ago. I also believe it was recently renovated. For what it's worth, most people have always ranked the Intercontinental as having the best beach. It's also within walking distance of pretty much all the touristy restaurants and bars. I found the Marriott rather meh, but then again I got food poisoning from a room service pizza.

Regardless of where you stay, go to the Walmart outside the hotel zone and stock up on water, Coke or Pepsi, etc. The prices are super cheap.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Dec 16, 2018 at 5:04 am
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
We go to Cancun 4-6 times per year (quick flight from Texas w/great fares frequently available). Prefer the Hyatt's but the Westin and Ritz look nice, too. I completely disagree about it being "Vegas on the Ocean.." For one thing, Cancun is planned. Gardens and landscaping are everywhere. Think more like Disney World. Depending on where you stay, Cancun offers gorgeous hotels, amazing beaches (WITHOUT many vendors or people begging), cleanliness I don't find in other parts of Mexico outside Yucatan, tons to do, not too crowded, and yes, VERY safe (especially at high end hotels). If anything, I'd compare to a better planned, MUCH less dense/crowded version of Waikiki. What I'm saying applies to the main part of Cancun, known as the Hotel Zone. If you are staying down the coast, towards Playa Del Carmen, then you are in for a completely different experience.

Anyway, as for rental cars... don't do it. You don't need one. The taxis are ample, cheap, and safe. Don't try to use Uber or Lyft. Also, within Cancun proper there's a very cheap and simple public bus system that will take you anywhere. The busses are clean but the drivers are a bit "loco" to say the least. Fun experience. For your transfers from the airport, consider USA Transfers or Canada Transfers. We use the former, but both have an excellent reputation and USA is VERY easy to deal with, 1000% reliable, clean, safe, etc.
Thanks so much for taking the time to provide your input. I was going to start researching airport transfer options, so I appreciate the head start. Will also just consider taking taxis vs. Uber/Lyft if we head outside Cancun proper.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:05 am

ALSO w/kids check out the X Parks. These are very high end theme parks located about an hour south of Cancun. Transportation is available. Imagine Disney-level quality but without the technology-driven rides. Things are more basic but still very very creative, detailed, and high end. X-PLOR is very high energy but also very thrilling... Check out the reviews: XCARET, XPLOR, XENSES. XEL-HA is supposed to be amazing (haven't been) BUT it's a lot further away from Cancun.
Yes, haha, I've asked both of my kids (14 & 15) to start to research what they want to do while we are there and both came up with this within a few minutes of hitting Google. They are pretty active and still love to climb all over stuff, kick up their adrenaline, and get wet/dirty/etc so I think it's locked in for us. I recently had shoulder surgery and while I'll be out of my sling by March will not be able to participate so will just chill and let them have a great time. Good to know that transportation is available from the Hotel Zone. Will just plan to spend a full day there and let them wear themselves out. Next step is to decide which one they might like best - thanks again!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:08 am

Cancun has a relatively good bus system in the touristy hotel zone. It's cheap and easy. There is no need for a taxi or rental car. Plus, renting a car is expensive, there's parking and then the stress over insurance coverage, theft, police bribes (if you get pulled over for some nonexistent driving infraction) and the risk of damage to the car.

I've stayed twice at the Intercontinental Presidente, once at the Marriott (is it still the Casa Magna?), once at the Westin Resort and once at the old Holiday Inn (no longer flagged as a Holiday Inn).

The Westin's location was nice because it was near the end of the hotel zone, which made it quieter than other hotels. This could be an important consideration in late February or early March, though I think Cancun no longer gets the spring break numbers that it did 10 or 15 years ago. I also believe it was recently renovated. For what it's worth, most people have always ranked the Intercontinental as having the best beach. It's also within walking distance of pretty much all the touristy restaurants and bars. I found the Marriott rather meh, but then again I got food poisoning from a room service pizza.

Regardless of where you stay, go to the Walmart outside the hotel zone and stock up on water, Coke or Pepsi, etc. The prices are super cheap.
Thanks for the input. Will definitely just plan to take the bus or taxi on short hauls and use transportation options for any activities that are further out. Great call on the Walmart and I think there is a 7-11 supposed to be right across the street from the Marriott, so I'm sure I'll be there a few times too.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Thanks for the input. Will definitely just plan to take the bus or taxi on short hauls and use transportation options for any activities that are further out. Great call on the Walmart and I think there is a 7-11 supposed to be right across the street from the Marriott, so I'm sure I'll be there a few times too.
Don't buy essentials in the hotel zone. Walmart will be the cheapest. In fact, if you can do it, only travel with a carry-on and then buy whatever toiletries you need at Walmart in Cancun. Baggage claim in Cancun can be a hassle. Traveling with the carry-on also means you'll get to the hotel 20 minutes before the next group, giving you a theoretically better chance at an upgrade based on the time of check-in.

Cancun Vacation Guide | Hotels, Tours, Airport Transfers | Cancuncare is a great resource.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Westin Cancun or RC Cancun for NYE?

I currently have two nights at the Westin Cancun booked for 70,000 points for both nights and applied two Suite Night Awards to the reservation. Today, I noticed that the Ritz Carlton Cancun is available at 50,000 points per night (Club Level Ocean View Room - $1245 per night) but I won't be able to apply the Suite Night Awards as they are not valid at Ritz. Is the Ritz in Cancun that much better than the Westin? Would you pay the extra points for the Ritz?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by MCI777
I currently have two nights at the Westin Cancun booked for 70,000 points for both nights and applied two Suite Night Awards to the reservation. Today, I noticed that the Ritz Carlton Cancun is available at 50,000 points per night (Club Level Ocean View Room - $1245 per night) but I won't be able to apply the Suite Night Awards as they are not valid at Ritz. Is the Ritz in Cancun that much better than the Westin? Would you pay the extra points for the Ritz?
First, there are 2 Westins in Cancun. The Westin Lagunamar which is great and is also a time share place. Huge property, great pools, no lounge. Then there is the Westin Resort & Spa which is old and tired but is great value when you can get it for $70/night on a BRG (which I have done many times). It has a poor lounge and is currently undergoing renovations. I looked up the redemption levels and it seems you are at the Westin Resort. Have you looked at the Master Thread? Even the last few pages?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-thread.html

I have never been to the RC Cancun, but I would bet RC wouldn't have any properties that are as shabby as that Westin! Hey, I've been 3-4 times and it's tremendous value at $70/night, but if you're trying to impress someone for NYE, I wouldn't take them there.

Also Trip Advisor is a good resource. The RC is # 11 in Cancun, the Westin Lagunamar is # 13 and the Westin Resort is # 87.

Change your reservation and you should have a spectacular NYE.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by margarita girl
First, there are 2 Westins in Cancun. The Westin Lagunamar which is great and is also a time share place. Huge property, great pools, no lounge. Then there is the Westin Resort & Spa which is old and tired but is great value when you can get it for $70/night on a BRG (which I have done many times). It has a poor lounge and is currently undergoing renovations. I looked up the redemption levels and it seems you are at the Westin Resort. Have you looked at the Master Thread? Even the last few pages?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-thread.html

I have never been to the RC Cancun, but I would bet RC wouldn't have any properties that are as shabby as that Westin! Hey, I've been 3-4 times and it's tremendous value at $70/night, but if you're trying to impress someone for NYE, I wouldn't take them there.

Also Trip Advisor is a good resource. The RC is # 11 in Cancun, the Westin Lagunamar is # 13 and the Westin Resort is # 87.

Change your reservation and you should have a spectacular NYE.
For what it's worth, I believe the Westin Resort & Spa is now fully renovated. I thought I read the renovations were complete. I've stayed both there and the Marriott, among other Cancun properties. I like the secluded location of the Westin at the end of the hotel zone, but others may want to be closer to the action. The Intercontinental Presidente has always been said to have the best beach in Cancun, but my last time there was 2004 so it's tough for me to speak about it now.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:00 am

Just booked an Ocean View King room at the JW Marriott in Cancun for a weekend trip with my girlfriend. Anyone that's been, any recommendations for what rooms are best? I'm a PP, and not going really during peak time at all, but still not expecting much in terms of upgrades. Are there some good ocean front rooms I should maybe ask for? I'm sure I won't get upgraded to a suite or anything.

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:06 am

Curious, why not Uber or Lyft? In PVR, my ride from the airport to the Marriott resort in a cab was ~$20, but my ride back to the airport with Uber was $1.40. This was in April 2018.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lockman21
I'm a PP, and not going really during peak time at all, but still not expecting much in terms of upgrades.
Thanks!
Outside of the busiest periods -- so, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, President's Day, MLK, and the peak spring breaks -- you should be able to get an upgrade, if this property isn't playing games with the upgrades. While there will be a lot of platinums here I don't know how many platinum premiers will actually be on-property, especially say mid-week during a slower period.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.