Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
By the way, anyone have any details or updates to share on the new Renaissance Cancun scheduled to be open this coming December? Not sure if it will open on time and I don’t know anything about how it will compare to any of the existing properties including the JW (where I am currently booked). What do you folks think? Would you switch from the JW (which will have all renovated rooms by Dec 15) or this new property?

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...rt-and-marina/
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by vivrant
By the way, anyone have any details or updates to share on the new Renaissance Cancun scheduled to be open this coming December? Not sure if it will open on time and I dont know anything about how it will compare to any of the existing properties including the JW (where I am currently booked). What do you folks think? Would you switch from the JW (which will have all renovated rooms by Dec 15) or this new property?

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...rt-and-marina/
As of this morning, Marriott's website says January 2019 is the opening.

No category is listed for award-redemption. Are you planning on using points or cash?

I ask because, as a point of reference, the J.W. Marriott is a category 6 award-redemption, the Marriott is a category 5 award-redemption, the Westin Lagunamar is category 6 award-redemption, and the Westin is a category 5 award-redemption. I would imagine the Renaissance will start as a category 5 award-redemption. So, if you're paying with points you will shell out the same number of points per night as Westin and Marriott properties directly on the beach for a property that while brand new isn't on the beach.

I'm somewhat surprised the Renaissance has been designated a "resort" property since it isn't on the beach. I figured it would be going after Cancun business travelers who wanted to be close to downtown but have the amenities of the hotel zone.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Hi. I am staying this Dec using a 7-night Travel Package Cert. I was told that access to Club 91 is $125 per adult, per night + another $75 night for my 12yo totaling $325/night. Id gladly pay $125/night like you were offered if we were given the option. Any advice?
Hi Vivrant,

Hmmm, not sure what to say, since i have not used a 7 Night Cert for any of my bookings.

Here is the text of the Rate Details on the Club 91 room:
  • Club 91 is not a Concierge Floor, nor an Executive Level. A
  • rate with Club 91 access must be booked in order to take
  • advantage of Club 91 benefits.
  • *Rate for 2 adults and 2 children under 5 years old
  • *Children from 6 to 12 years old pay 75 USD plus taxes daily
  • *Guests from 13 to 17 years old pay 100 USD plus taxes daily
  • *Guests older than 18 years pay 125 USD plus taxes daily
  • Club 91 Benefits:
So, your upgrade should cover 2 adults and your child would be an extra $75.

Here is a dummy booking for January showing the Points + Cash upgrade for the Club91 room:

Also, it appears that the upgrade amount when booking with points has gone down to $100/nt.

Good luck, I hope that Rewards CS comes through for you.
vivrant likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by mmayer
Hi Vivrant,

Hmmm, not sure what to say, since i have not used a 7 Night Cert for any of my bookings.

Here is the text of the Rate Details on the Club 91 room:

So, your upgrade should cover 2 adults and your child would be an extra $75.

Here is a dummy booking for January showing the Points + Cash upgrade for the Club91 room:

Also, it appears that the upgrade amount when booking with points has gone down to $100/nt.

Good luck, I hope that Rewards CS comes through for you.
I don't know about in Mexico, but I'm pretty sure it would be illegal in most U.S. jurisdictions to charge a different price for club access based on someone's age or gender.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I don't know about in Mexico, but I'm pretty sure it would be illegal in most U.S. jurisdictions to charge a different price for club access based on someone's age or gender.
This isn't true at all. There are protections for age that kick in at 40 years but even then they don't always cover things like discounts, etc. In general the only time you might end up in hot water is if you had a discount for 30 year olds that didn't apply to 40+ year olds (where it usually the opposite).

Charging different rates for children versus adults is completely legal - both in the US and most likely Mexico. This is especially true when there are underlying cost differentials which is definitely the case here (food and alcohol consumption rates).
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:37 pm

I am pretty sure you are wrong..... Gender maybe, age no. Discounts for old folks and kids are very common and allowed for just about anything.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I am pretty sure you are wrong..... Gender maybe, age no. Discounts for old folks and kids are very common and allowed for just about anything.
If I'm wrong I'm wrong. I just remember a few years ago a nearby bar was in trouble for giving discounts to females of college age but not anyone else, male or female, younger or older.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
If I'm wrong I'm wrong. I just remember a few years ago a nearby bar was in trouble for giving discounts to females of college age but not anyone else, male or female, younger or older.
Those sorts of discounts may technically be illegal (although are so rarely pursued by legal action or enforced by courts as to be de facto legal even if not de jure). This is not particularly relevant here, however, as the discount is of children versus adults which have a long standing acceptance legally, especially as it relates to differentiated servicing requirements.

Legally in the US (it differs elsewhere), age is only a protected class for those 40+. If the resort charged $200 a night for 41 year olds and $150 a night for 30 year olds (and it was in the US and not Mexico - I can't speak to Mexican law) you would have an issue. This is not the case here.

For better or worse, age is also considered (both in the public eye as well as in the courts based on case law) as "less protected" than other categories such as race. Strong protections exist for work and for housing but case law supporting age anti-age discrimination falls short in most other contexts (hence the "de facto" legal versus "de jure" legal).
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
By the way, anyone have any details or updates to share on the new Renaissance Cancun scheduled to be open this coming December? Not sure if it will open on time and I don’t know anything about how it will compare to any of the existing properties including the JW (where I am currently booked). What do you folks think? Would you switch from the JW (which will have all renovated rooms by Dec 15) or this new property?
Using the flexible dates calendar, the first night available for a 1 night stay is Feb 19, 2019.

I would stick with the JW as it doesn't appear that the Renaissance has any beach.
vivrant likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
My family (me, spouse, kids 15&14) are thinking of heading to the Marriott Cancun resort in March for Spring Break. I'm Plat Premier (probably will lose in a week) and Lifetime Platinum with Marriott. Most likely booking 5 or 6 nights with points. Browsed the thread and it looks like it will meet our needs for our vacation. Not going to have a car, just want to relax with the beach/pool and take a few excursions and see the area. Couple of specific questions for those of you with experience with the property:

- Any thoughts on the Executive Suite vs. Caribbean Suite? The former looks like it is just a little larger by like 30 sq ft but has a smaller balcony. Kids will just share the pull out couch, but I guess could do a roll-away if needed.
- The Executive Suite is available for points and the Caribbean Suite is available for cash+points redemption
- Should I look to book activities before I head out there or just wait to do it through the hotel concierge? Things like snorkeling, boat excursion, maybe the water park, etc
- Because it's a "resort", I'm not expecting to get anything for my Plat Premier/LT Plat status...but is there anything that might surprise me as being offered?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Because it's a resort you shouldn't expect much for PP/Plat status. No free breakfast, etc. You might get a room upgrade... except you're traveling at Spring Break when the hotels are likely to be booked full.

Speaking of it being Spring Break, all the standard excursions are going to be mobbed. Want to see the ruins at Tulum? You and 5,000 other people. If feeling like you're in the Disney World crowds isn't your idea of a fun vacation, research lesser-known attractions and consider renting a car to get to them.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Because it's a resort you shouldn't expect much for PP/Plat status. No free breakfast, etc. You might get a room upgrade... except you're traveling at Spring Break when the hotels are likely to be booked full.

Speaking of it being Spring Break, all the standard excursions are going to be mobbed. Want to see the ruins at Tulum? You and 5,000 other people. If feeling like you're in the Disney World crowds isn't your idea of a fun vacation, research lesser-known attractions and consider renting a car to get to them.
Again, I'm definitely not expecting/anticipating any benefits - just curious as to any that might have been offered up to others that have stayed there recently. Not worried about a room upgrade as I am already looking to book one of the two suites as I want the pull out couch in the living room for my two kids.

On the excursions, yeah I get that we are going at the height of tourist season. That's not going to change my travel plan. I might just see about renting a car for a day or two at the Hertz location across the street if that is still there.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:33 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Because it's a resort you shouldn't expect much for PP/Plat status. No free breakfast, etc.
Unless I'm mistaken, free breakfast is now an option for Plats and above at resort properties (as one of the Plat amenity options.) I'd suggest checking out the Master Thread for that property to see if there are any posts describing the Plat breakfast offerings.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Unless I'm mistaken, free breakfast is now an option for Plats and above at resort properties (as one of the Plat amenity options.) I'd suggest checking out the Master Thread for that property to see if there are any posts describing the Plat breakfast offerings.
Good suggestion. It does look like (as of October 2018) a continental breakfast is offered for Plats at their La Capilla restaurant. Can upgrade to full breakfast for $20/day. The $25/day "resort fee" is a little disappointing given they really only highlight use of their fitness center and internet access (which I always get anyway as part of my status everywhere else)
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
My family (me, spouse, kids 15&14) are thinking of heading to the Marriott Cancun resort in March for Spring Break. I'm Plat Premier (probably will lose in a week) and Lifetime Platinum with Marriott. Most likely booking 5 or 6 nights with points. Browsed the thread and it looks like it will meet our needs for our vacation. Not going to have a car, just want to relax with the beach/pool and take a few excursions and see the area. Couple of specific questions for those of you with experience with the property:

- Any thoughts on the Executive Suite vs. Caribbean Suite? The former looks like it is just a little larger by like 30 sq ft but has a smaller balcony. Kids will just share the pull out couch, but I guess could do a roll-away if needed.
- The Executive Suite is available for points and the Caribbean Suite is available for cash+points redemption
- Should I look to book activities before I head out there or just wait to do it through the hotel concierge? Things like snorkeling, boat excursion, maybe the water park, etc
- Because it's a "resort", I'm not expecting to get anything for my Plat Premier/LT Plat status...but is there anything that might surprise me as being offered?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
I've been to Cancun five times. You do not need nor want a rental car.

Why Cancun? You might get more from your status and even save some money going somewhere else. Puerto Rico? Or even other parts of Mexico, like Los Cabos? Cancun is basically Las Vegas on the ocean.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.