Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Costa Rica

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Links below are for specific properties:

El Mangroove, Autograph Collection
JW Marriott Guanacaste
Los Suenos Marriott
Hotel Punta Islita Autograph Collection
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Skymiles Platinum Medallion
Costa Rica: the Los Suenos vs Guanacaste debate

Hi guys,

I am planning a trip sometime next month to Costa Rica with a buddy of mine. We basically want to explore... jungles, volcanoes, etc. We are not really party animals or anything.

I'm a platinum at Marriott and I wanted to know what hotel, between Los Suenos vs Guanacaste, would be my best bet. The threads I have read about the two hotels are quite dated, so no real help there.

Has anyone stayed at both resorts? Which gives me better chances for free bfast? we are most likely going to rent a car also. Would love any advice!

Thank you
//M
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
did you bother to read the existing thread comparing these 2 props first along with the 2 existing threads already on these 2 props????? NOT dated as last post Dec 12.......
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...osta-rica.html

Originally Posted by mokura
Hi guys,

I am planning a trip sometime next month to Costa Rica with a buddy of mine. We basically want to explore... jungles, volcanoes, etc. We are not really party animals or anything.

I'm a platinum at Marriott and I wanted to know what hotel, between Los Suenos vs Guanacaste, would be my best bet. The threads I have read about the two hotels are quite dated, so no real help there.

Has anyone stayed at both resorts? Which gives me better chances for free bfast? we are most likely going to rent a car also. Would love any advice!

Thank you
//M
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Burning 30K MR/night at JW Guanacaste Costa Rica

Is it worth it? Let me re-ask the question. Is burning 120K MR pts worth saving the $1600 Nature Air wants in a package which entails flight from SJO-Tamarindo, transport to/from hotel and a deluxe ocean view room and breakfast.

The MR points save me the room $ but still on hook for flights ($250 one/way for 2), car transport to/from air strip ($50-75) and breakfast (wild card, could b pricey?). My out of pocket is still $400-500

So are 120k MR worth $1100 or so? That's my question. OR can an award stay finaggle any transport/breakfast perks?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I assume you are already in or booked to SJO, the travel packages which include miles are the best value, in general. For the Guanacaste JW, 2RT Flights from the US and 7 nights for 250K points:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I assume you are already in or booked to SJO, the travel packages which include miles are the best value, in general. For the Guanacaste JW, 2RT Flights from the US and 7 nights for 250K points:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi
That would have been great but alas, I jumped on those AA deals in F/J class to/from SJO.

we snagged SF_SJO for $600 or so RT in F/J each.

So its just the rooms for now...and small flights in/around costa rica --not messing around with driving or 3-4 hr bus rides
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:27 pm

Travel to/from JW Marriott Guanacaste

We're honeymooning there in a month and the one thing I have yet to see if best way to get from the Tamarindo airport (8 miles away) to the hotel? Can anyone recommend a car service etc, or is winging it and grabbing a taxi the most reliable?
Old May 1, 2013, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kdinino
We're honeymooning there in a month and the one thing I have yet to see if best way to get from the Tamarindo airport (8 miles away) to the hotel? Can anyone recommend a car service etc, or is winging it and grabbing a taxi the most reliable?
contact the hotel concierge - they can arrange transportation for you
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Is shuttle still running

I've been to CR last in 2010 and I remember at that time Marriott offered transportation between San Jose Marriott and Marriott Los Suenos resort for a reasonable fee. Planning to return this September - does anyone know if this service is still offered or one needs to rent a car to go to los suenos for a weekend?
AX
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Hi all. Here is what I have in the exec lounge sticky for CR properties. If anyone has updates, please post:

* Nandayure Guanacaste / Punta Islita, Autograph Collection (resort) / Platinum Arrival gift: 500 pts or Costa Rican cooking class for 2 or Costa Rican mixology class for 2; free i-net; 02/15/14 update
* Hacienda Pinilla Guanacaste / JW Marriott Resort & Spa / Due to resort status, free i-net is only bennie; 04/14 update
* Herradura/ Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort / No lounge but nice managers reception one afternoon during week for plats (maybe gold, too). No coupons offered. Free wifi for plats and free internet access offered in business center if no personal laptop; 06/10 update; no update since '10, but assuming it's still the same; 04/16/14 update
* San Jose / Costa Rico Marriott San Jose / OPEN (per website); i-net terminal; 02/15/14 update
* San Jose / Costa Rica / Courtyard Escazu San Jose / No Lounge; Plats get 15% off coupon for breakfast buffet; 2/24/14 update

Thanks!

Cheers.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
San Jose Airport Marriott

Could not find a clear update or review on this property. Has anyone stayed here lately? Kindly advice as to the rooms, property, etc. It seems like that the hotel prefers you catch a taxi from the Airport - could that be true? Marriott in a 3rd world country wants its customers to catch a taxi from the airport!

Thanks
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by ACC2008
Could not find a clear update or review on this property. Has anyone stayed here lately? Kindly advice as to the rooms, property, etc. It seems like that the hotel prefers you catch a taxi from the Airport - could that be true? Marriott in a 3rd world country wants its customers to catch a taxi from the airport!
Third world country? Costa Rica has better public health than the United States. ...Or were you complaining about the Marriott in San Jose, California?
Old Apr 9, 2016, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ACC2008

Thanks
Do you mean the Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela, which is the only airport property, or did you mean the Costa Rico Marriott San Jose? Please clarify. I'm assuming you meant the Marriott since the CY has a free shuttle, and the Marriott does not.

"Voted by Condé Nast as one of the best hotels in Central America, our beautiful colonial hacienda sits on a 30-acre coffee plantation and serves up modern amenities in a laid-back environment. Unwind in either of our two swimming pools, or take a stroll on our lush garden paths. The state-of-the-art fitness center or well-lit tennis courts are the perfect place to work up a sweat, while our full-service Kuö Spa will pamper with luxurious treatments and services. Our hotel in Costa Rica also offers a number of acclaimed restaurants, including La Castilla, where talented chefs prepare sushi right in front of guests. Sophisticated rooms and suites boast plush bedding and 24-hour room service. Adventure-seekers will enjoy our Costa Rica luxury hotel's proximity to rainforest excursions and canopy zip line tours. Book your stay for an unforgettable experience at Costa Rica Marriott in San Jose."

It's a Cat 5, so Cat 1-5 certs can be used. Also the exec is open daily.

Special Benefits
This room features Executive lounge access
Open: Sun-Sat, Open: From 6:00am to midnight
Complimentary food:
- Hot buffet breakfast
- midday snack
- hors d'oeuvres
Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages
Complimentary business services
Complimentary pressing, 2 garments per stay
Hot buffet from 6:00am to 10:00am
Complementary Wifi Access
Happy hour 2x1 from 5-7pm
Midday snack (cookies &fruits)

BTW - Costa Rica is one of the safest countries & the phrase third world country when applied to CR is outdated. It's a huge tourism country w/ beautiful national parks & has a lot of ex-pats/retirees living them because the cost of living is lower (although not as cheap as it used to be).

Cheers.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Hi all. Here is what I have in the exec lounge sticky for CR properties. If anyone has updates, please post:

* Nandayure Guanacaste / Punta Islita, Autograph Collection (resort) / Platinum Arrival gift: 500 pts or Costa Rican cooking class for 2 or Costa Rican mixology class for 2; free i-net; 02/15/14 update
* Hacienda Pinilla Guanacaste / JW Marriott Resort & Spa / Due to resort status, free i-net is only bennie; 04/14 update
* Herradura/ Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort / No lounge but nice managers reception one afternoon during week for plats (maybe gold, too). No coupons offered. Free wifi for plats and free internet access offered in business center if no personal laptop; 06/10 update; no update since '10, but assuming it's still the same; 04/16/14 update
* San Jose / Costa Rico Marriott San Jose / OPEN (per website); i-net terminal; 02/15/14 update
* San Jose / Costa Rica / Courtyard Escazu San Jose / No Lounge; Plats get 15% off coupon for breakfast buffet; 2/24/14 update

Thanks!

Cheers.
I am looking at the CY Escazu San Jose so I take it the only gold benefit would be free wifi and perhaps a room upgrade?

I am also looking at Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela and perhaps Residence Inn San Jose Escazu.

Last edited by Xeno; Jul 7, 2016 at 11:54 am
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by Xeno
I am looking at the CY Escazu San Jose so I take it the only gold benefit would be free wifi and perhaps a room upgrade?

I am also looking at Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela and perhaps Residence Inn San Jose Escazu.
I booked the Residence Inn San Jose Escazu.

Can someone tell me if this hotel can book daily tourist runs or must I do that on my on before flying into San Jose?

Also, if one wants to see things like rain forests, volcanoes, and white water rafting - but no beaches - does one need to rent a car/SUV?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:03 am

It will be cheaper if you schedule trips on your own. Driving is not for the faint of heart in CR. Also - renting is a bit of a scam. Be forewarned about that. Research renting and additional costs first. Also- leaving CR you have to pay $. Not much but we had to leave one line and go to another to pay and get a stamp before getting back in the leaving CR line We loved CR. Truly a wonderful experience. Even if you don't like the beach per se, consider a beachside lunch or sunset dinner. Very nice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.