Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Newark Airport Marriott (New Jersey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2000, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone have any experience at the Newark Marriot? Is it nice? Good value?

Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2000, 12:03 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
The last time I stayed there was in 11/98 I think.

Anyway, I was given a room the size of a jail cell and I remember the Front Desk being very rude.

Furniture was extremely old.

Good Luck.
Old Sep 2, 2000, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I stay there about half a dozen nights each year (since 1990) and like it a lot! The rooms are standard. The Concierge Liunge is very nice, although closed on weekends. The pool is nice. The restaurants are good. Best of all, it's wonderfully convenient when you have an early-morning departure or late-night arrival at EWR.

Bruce
Old Sep 6, 2000, 11:29 pm

I haven't stayed there for awhile but it was fine the last time I was there. I was floored that they want $199 for a room in the middle of the Newark Airport parking lot. It's within walking distance of nothing but the airport. I prefer to stay in New York and drive to New Jersey. At least that way I get a good dinner.
Paul
Old Sep 8, 2000, 10:52 pm

I stayed there one night on a very warm March evening. I tried to get the room A/C to work but I was told that it was centrally controlled and it hadn't been turned on for the spring yet.

I've had better luck with the Courtyard on the North end of the airport.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
Newark Airport Refuses to Honor Bonus Buck Certificate

Newark Marriott rufuses to accept $100 bonus buck certificate if you're staying at a rate that also offers bonus bucks. I know that you must book a room at a publicly available rate in order to use the bonus bucks. But, to my way of thinking a promotion that awards bonus bucks certainly meets that definition. My argument was met with deaf ears.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I have done this several times -- even at Newark Airport Marriott, June 19-21, 2003! The N8R rates are certainly "publicly available rates," and using Bonus Bucks has nothing to do with earning them. These are completely independent. I would write a letter about what happened. You got cheated.

Bruce

[This message has been edited by bdschobel (edited 10-01-2003).]
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:20 am

Newark Airport Info

Hi,

Any reviews of the Newark Airport Marriott?

Also, does anyone know if you can walk to the hotel from the terminal, or do you have to take a shuttle?

Thanks,
Rachel
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
It's just off the airport proper, you could walk (distance isn't bad), but not sure if there are any security issues that prevent that.

It's a decent property, pretty good lounge, average rooms. Staff is usually good.

Best thing is the easy connections into NYC now that the airlink and PATH are fully operational. You can usually fly into EWR at a good rate and connections are reasonable.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rgmdb:
Also, does anyone know if you can walk to the hotel from the terminal, or do you have to take a shuttle?</font>
It's in the middle of the parking lot. You can walk if you want.

Old Mar 9, 2004, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I stay there occasionally and like it very much. I almost always walk to and from the hotel. It's 1000 feet or so from any of the three terminals. You have to step over some knee-high guardrails and cross some lightly traveled roads (some with crossing lights and crosswalks).

The hotel doesn't really expect people to walk, but that's what I usually choose to do. They also have a shuttle if you choose to go that way, but it can take quite a bit longer. Last time I used it (last year), it takes you to the P4 AirTrain station, not the actual terminals. The AirTrain ride alone can be 10 minutes! My walk is about 5.

Bruce
Old Jul 23, 2004, 7:41 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, United PE, Marriott Platinum
Newark Airport Marriott - No water

After I woke up yesterday morning and walked into the bathroom to take a shower, as soon as I opened the shower I heard a lot of noise but had no water at all. I called down to the frontdesk where they immediately apologized and offered to give me a discount on the bill. I turned that offer down since I'm not paying for the room.
After about 20 minutes they finally got something running through the pipes again however it was by no means clean water. Instead it was all dirty and brown water. I had it run for about 10 minutes and it cleared to a great extend but not fully but good enough to take a shower.

I didn't bother to ask for any other compensation because my time is more valuable then waiting in a long line that morning at the front desk however I sincerely hope it never happens again.

BA Fan
Old Jul 23, 2004, 10:27 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by BA Fan
I didn't bother to ask for any other compensation because my time is more valuable then waiting in a long line that morning at the front desk however I sincerely hope it never happens again.
BA Fan
I had that happen at a Wyndham property and received nice compensation, although I don't remember exactly what the compensation was. As to your situation, it's probably not too late to contact the hotel or Platinum guest services and request some type of compensation, maybe MR points. Good luck.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 4:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Newark Airport Marriott WORST ever in Chain

Hello,

I was recently upgraded to Gold Status in Marriott Rewards because I am a Diamond member in Hilton Honors.

I just wanted to put my 2 sense in on a Hotel that i really consider to be 1 of the WORST full-service Marriott properties ever!!! I stayed in the Newark Airport Marriott almost 1 1/2 years ago when I wasn't part of any loyalty programs. I paid almost $250 per night to stay on the lounge level at the hotel and it was atrocious!!! The staff are mean, incompetent, and have no clue how to treat guests. The room was cramped, ugly, and uncomfortable. I was so fed up with so many little problems at the place I spoke to the General Manager - He pretty much apologized and comped 1 night and told me I wasn't the only complainer.

Overall, I know most Marriott hotels blow this one out of the water but I am curious to know what other experienced travelers think of this place. It truly is a badly managed dump.

Mike B.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 1:28 am

Standard airport hotel

Based on two one-night, early-morning departure stays in the past 9 months, I would characterize this property as a fairly typical three-star airport hotel.
Parts of the property did seem tired, but overall maintenance appeared acceptable. Public spaces looked fine. Rooms adequate.
Interactions with staff (front desk, shuttle, lounge) pleasant.
While not a location I'd choose for a multi-night stay (nor somewhere I would pay $250 for) this Marriott remains a passable option for a Newark Airport overnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.