Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Guangzhou Marriott Hotel Tianhe [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guangzhou Marriott Hotel Tianhe [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Deleted. Link didn't work properly.
Sharon

You seem to be taking an interest in this hotel in Guangzhou. Planning a trip there soon? I'm down the road in Shenzhen.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by ftrichard
Sharon

You seem to be taking an interest in this hotel in Guangzhou. Planning a trip there soon? I'm down the road in Shenzhen.
JW Shenzhen over here. Will be honest, the Guangzhou Tianhe was overall a better experience.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
JW Shenzhen over here. Will be honest, the Guangzhou Tianhe was overall a better experience.
Off topic, but the new Marriott in Shenzhen is great with really good lounge and good service.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Sharon

A friend of mine stayed there. I was posting his experiences/thoughts (with his permission) to provide input for FTers.

Cheers.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 1:51 am

Popped up here from HKG on the high-speed rail for a quick end-of-year bed run. Upgraded (as Plat) to a full 1-br suite at a corner of the building. Rooms and public areas still seem to be in good condition and not showing too much age. Staff were all generally very friendly and I found that most of the non-junior staff spoke passable English. Hotel didn't seem especially full, but it was still tough getting a table during evening service.

All-in-all a pleasant experience which met expectations of an Asian Marriott property.
littlevoices likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Just received a comprehensive review by my friend who's been there for 5 days. With his permission I'm posting it here.

"Impressions of Marriott Guangzhou Tianhe

Pros
-Still a Cat 3
-Upgrade to suite not a problem (without SNAs)
-Breakfast in restaurant and/or lounge
-Happy hour from 1730-2130 with 2 reds, 2 whites, sparkling and hard stuff
-Exec lounge food from 1730-1930 - last night was very good lamb chops. Tonight was baked meat and Pho.... the local food is VERY spicy and I did not see much rice eaten to cut the heat, otherwise wouldn't be eating in lounge
-suites get 1 item per day ironed
- oversized bathtub w spa jets
-One shopping mall attached to hotel with 3 others within a few minutes walk
- lounge offers fresh fruit, some bakery items and coffee/tea/soft drinks inbetween breakfast and happy hour
- bathroom marble floor is heated
- if you walk into room being serviced they'll ask for your key card to verify it's your room
-housekeeping staff on call 24/7
- 29C jacuzzi in pool area, but make sure you have a swimming hat (not listed in website as required)

Downside
- breakfast sausage didn't look like they were cooked (no grill marks)
- food in restaurant looked OK but unfortunately had no taste
- VERY slow Internet and of course many sites blocked
- tried Man Ho, their Chinese Restaurant - disappointed (would not recommend)
-too many children in the lounge. They have 2 large rooms but no common sense to put families in one and non families in the other but they have one 4 chaired table in back of the computer center with a wall on 2 sides to cut down on most of the noise
-bathroom only has glass doors
-the description of this suite states 2 bathrooms. After 5 days I still can’t find #2
-nails used to tack down the rug stopping at the bathroom have exposed heads so wear shoes or walk over otherwise your feet will get punctured
-don't expect any of the locals to let you off the lift before they push their way on, especially at transfer places like lobby
- toilet paper is doled out as if it were gold - half roll at a time with plenty of spare space on top of tank and in recess behind but never a spare roll to be found
- lounge staff helpful (can I get you another coffee, etc.) on only 1 of 5 afternoons

Sidenote -
I bought a meet and greet (about $25 vrs taxi of say $15-18) as arriving at midnight and didn’t want to get into a taxi que which worked out OK except driver took us to nearby Sheraton vrs our invoice of Marriott (I had downloaded hotel name and address in Chinese so that helped) and driver wanted to be paid after I had pre-paid, but a call to his ofc resolved that problem but should not have been a problem to begin with

Locals love to start blaring their horns if the vehicle in front of them stops for a pedestrian in the crosswalk. Also noticed that they love to blare their horns when driving down completely empty streets - maybe trying to get the ghosts outta their way (my driver to hotel at 1AM). And yes, even on our floor 21 here can hear the horn blowers on the street.

The hotel has a guidebook for the attached shopping mall. They have a section called Gourmet Restaurants and start with Burger King - so much for their idea of gourmet "

Cheers.
Are these comments still accurate? (now January 2024)
Any additional appreciated. Considering either Marriott or Sheraton and they sound quite similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.