Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near Boston, MA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near Boston, MA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
The other options to consider that might be a bit more interesting than the Copley are in Cambridge. My comments here are all based on how things "used to be" back before the pandemic. The Marriott Cambridge Center is a rather standard Marriott, but not a convention hotel. Red Line is right there for transit. Pre-pandemic days, it had a growing restaurant scene that was much more affordable that downtown. The other option I'd consider is the Sheraton Commander. It's a bit out of the way, but easily walkable from Harvard Square. This is a very traditional hotel (i.e., standard rooms on the small side) Breakfast. If you want to see what Boston hotels were like back in the day (in the 70s and 80s), this is the place. It's where your parents would have stayed if they were really living it up for a weekend. Wicked fancy? Not hardly, just clean and well maintained. It's a reliable backup when other properties are sold out or just way overpriced.

Long Wharf is nice and you don't need a harbor view to make it a good room. Last time I stayed there, they had breakfast in a private room back behind the restaurant. I like this hotel and would stay there again. The Liberty sure is interesting and I hope to be able to afford to stay there one day. There are two buildings, the old prison and a new tower built when it was converted to a hotel. A lot of the rooms are in that tower and not in the original prison, so take note of that. The tower rooms are fairly standard "big city hotel rooms". I remember when it was a prison and Buzzy's Roast Beef (the lunch that keeps on giving) was on the circle abutting the prison wall. True story, I went to Buzzy's for lunch one day and there were guards with rifles watching the wall. Sure made me feel safe... Never did hear what was going on, but 30 minutes after eating is when my stomach forced my attentions elsewhere. Copley to me just isn't interesting or worthy of leisure visits. It's there for the convention traffic. I think most of the comments here are saying the same thing, "You could do bettah."
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I knew The Liberty used to be a prison, but I had no idea that it was in operation until the 1990s (doesn't seem that long ago, but I think I'm still stuck thinking that it's only like 2010).

In regards to the points about the Marriott Copley Place, my initial attraction to it is the chance to be on a high floor with a good view of the Charles River (as well as it being one of the cheaper FS options during the dates I'm traveling). I'm also weird in that I actually enjoy standard FS Marriott properties for their beds and their TV software (it's a small thing, but I really appreciate not having to mess with my phone to Chromecast content to the hotel TV (or, shudder, stick with live TV) - and the adoption of the Marriott TV software is much more hit-and-miss at other brands, especially legacy Starwood brands). This also probably doesn't mean much, but I've had great experiences at the other Bonvoy properties owned by Host that I've stayed at, which makes me hope that the trend would continue with the Marriott Copley Place.

However, I totally didn't consider the Sheraton Commander, especially as that would put me in a different part of the city for a bit - I definitely need look into this one a bit more.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 11:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
In regards to the points about the Marriott Copley Place, my initial attraction to it is the chance to be on a high floor with a good view of the Charles River (as well as it being one of the cheaper FS options during the dates I'm traveling).
If it's a view you're looking for: Cambridge Marriott, River View Room, High Floor. You'll get the river view plus something you can't see from Back Bay; the Back Bay skyline. But do keep in mind, the last time I was there MIT (across Main St from the hotel) was building a couple high rises that might now block some of the view. Don't take my word for it without getting a more recent data point on the current view status. If the view is gone, it might not deliver what you're looking for. Do note, any room in Boston with a decent view of the river will not be at a standard room rate. Cambridge Marriott does at times charge a premium.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
If it's a view you're looking for: Cambridge Marriott, River View Room, High Floor. You'll get the river view plus something you can't see from Back Bay; the Back Bay skyline. But do keep in mind, the last time I was there MIT (across Main St from the hotel) was building a couple high rises that might now block some of the view. Don't take my word for it without getting a more recent data point on the current view status. If the view is gone, it might not deliver what you're looking for. Do note, any room in Boston with a decent view of the river will not be at a standard room rate. Cambridge Marriott does at times charge a premium.
This jogged a memory of a stay. Some downsized but stitched photos from September 2010 from my upper floor room at the Cambridge Marriott:

If desired, I can dig up the original shots for more detail.

David
renila and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:35 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by DELee

David
A lot has changed! The courtyard is no longer a cement desert. It's been reconfigured and updated from it's original 1986 layout. That glass roof to the right, that used to cover part of the T station and the food court, is now gone, along with the food court. The MIT Coop has been relocated to another space in the complex on Broadway. It's so much nicer now. Pre-pandemic times, they had a farmers market out there one day a week. Across Main St., all those empty lots and parking lots are now high rises. The two buildings on Main St in the picture, the brick bldg and the beige cement bldg, have been remodeled. I cannot recall how much taller they are now.

All that aside, the property does have the new M Club lounge. It occupies the space that was originally the hotel restaurant on the second floor. It's quite spacious. Not sure what the lounge food options are these days.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 5:42 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Buzzy's was great for post-midnight cravings.

We've stayed at the Liberty 5-6 times, never seen an option for a Prison wing room offered. The Tower rooms are great, but the views can be really nice if you get one
Old Apr 30, 2021, 10:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
I enjoyed staying at Le Méridien in Cambridge last month. I got automatically upgraded to a nice 1 bedroom suite (room 627) and also they have a nice room deck on the third floor that's pretty private. If it's good weather, it's a nice place to hang out outside without having to worry about wearing a mask or having people walk by. The decor of the room in Le Méridien is a bit more business hotel like. See photo below.

Last fall, I stayed at the Liberty Hotel. I tried the Charles River suite using SNA. It's got more interesting decor and more luxurious than Le Méridien but I found that the shower surprisingly gross - there was a ton of soap residue on the shower floor - but the bath tub was very nice. The biggest con though was that I didn't like that I could hear cars zooming on Storrow all day even though I was on the 12th floor. But the view is pretty sweet.

View from room 1201 Liberty Hotel Boston

Bosworth Suite 627 Le Meriden Cambridge
DELee and willoL like this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 10:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Hi, all! I'm planning a 9-night trip to Boston where one of my goals is to explore some new hotels that I haven't yet stayed in, and I was curious if you all thought that I was missing something cool or interesting in my line-up. I currently have the following reservations:
  • 3 nights at the Boston Marriott Copley Place
  • 3 nights at the Boston Marriott Long Wharf
  • 3 nights at The Liberty
I've previously stayed at the W Boston (although, prior to the most recent round of renovations) and at The Westin Copley Place. My only real requirement is that the hotels are generally close to a T station (which takes out most of the Seaport hotels). The only other property I seriously considered was The Envoy due to the interesting room decor, but from what I can find on various sites, it seems like Elite recognition is pretty bad (even with simple things, like late check-out) and better views can be found at the Marriott Long Wharf.

Are there any other properties that I should be considering (either in addition to, or instead of, the line-up above)? Thanks a bunch, all!
Have you also considered the Custom House? I would expect that it might have decent views.
Old May 7, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Stay Reports for Boston Marriott Copley Place, Long Wharf, and The Liberty

Thanks again for the advice, everyone! I just wrapped up my trip and wanted to report back with my experiences at the Boston Marriott Copley Place, Boston Marriott Long Wharf, and The Liberty.

Boston Marriott Copley Place: Overall, this was a really great stay. I was upgraded to a junior suite on the 35th floor, facing east (not the Charles River, but there was a nice view of Massachusetts Bay). The junior suite consisted of two rooms separated by a real door (one was a living room with wet bar, the other was a bedroom and bathroom). Interestingly, the suite had two entrances to the hallway (one in each room). The decor is absolutely "old Marriott," but the beds have been recently upgraded (new style linens) and were very comfortable. In addition, the room was quite clean. The bathroom was small with a shower-tub combination, but the shower pressure was really nice.

Shockingly (due to it being on the exempt list), the property is offering breakfast for Platinum+, despite the lounge closure, 7 days a week. Breakfast is served though the only open dining option ("A La Carte"), and you get an entree, a pastry (which also includes oatmeal and fruit options), and a beverage. Once you order by calling, you can pick up the food at the front desk. I had the All-American, which was absolutely delicious with crunchy potatoes, a large helping of eggs, and four slices of crispy bacon.

All of the staff members I interacted with were quite pleasant and helpful, including the hotel's extensive security team that kept watch at the front entrance (presumably for masks). Daily housekeeping was offered, by default.

The 2nd floor mall entrance is still blocked off, but I did notice that a new M Club is being built on the 2nd floor. I wonder what the old lounge space on floor 28 will turn into?

Boston Marriott Long Wharf: This stay was... interesting. I was upgraded to a harbor view room on the top (7th) floor facing north. I was advised that construction on the 6th and 7th floors had put many of the suites out of commission, and I did confirm that the 6th floor seemed to be a large work zone with plastic coverings on the hallway floor (I didn't notice any construction on floor 7). I'm not sure what the construction was for, but I did notice trucks outside that mentioned "Fire Systems."

The room was very stylish, and everything was spacious. There was even an in-room umbrella, which helped on rainy days. The bed was definitely a bright spot in the room as it was very comfortable. You can definitely tell that the property is trying to be a tier above your average mainline Marriott, especially with the custom branding on the toiletries and Marriott TV software (no Marriott logo and "thanks for staying at The Long Wharf.").

However, I did experience several issues during my stay. First, there was a serious lack of attention to detail in housekeeping when I checked in (bottle cap left on ground, sticky stain on carpet, stains on light switches, and more). Individually, each thing wasn't huge, but the amalgamation of missteps got to be a bit much. I was offered points as compensation when I voiced my concerns, which softened the issue. Second, my smoke detector went off randomly in my room - I thought the whole building was evacuating, but it turned out that it was just my smoke detector. Luckily, Engineering was already walking down the hall to investigate, so they were able to get the detector replaced. Finally, noise from the hallway and connecting room could be heard vividly.

Annoyingly, despite offering the same A La Carte service (with the same branding), Long Wharf was not offering breakfast for Platinum+, instead only offering 1000 points per night. Daily housekeeping was not offered, by default, and instead had to be requested.

Overall, despite the issues, I actually would stay here again as I think I got unlucky with my room, and the room's style and bed were definitely top-tier. However, it was frustrating coming here from Copley Place as Copley Place was definitely offering a much better Elite experience.

The Liberty: First off, the property is beautiful and incredibly interesting. I was upgraded to a Grand Deluxe room on the 14th floor of the tower (all suites were sold out, per Marriott.com) on the non-hospital side with amazing views of Back Bay, the Charles River, and the Liberty's lobby dome. The room was stylish with a large bathroom that included a separate shower and tub. Some of the furniture did have some minor scuffs, but the room was quite clean (a refreshing aspect after my experience at Long Wharf). I especially loved the key motif in the decor and artwork, as well as the Privacy sign that said "Solitary." The bed was comfortable, but the sheets were a bit stiff for my liking (however, this didn't impact my sleep quality). A robe and two pairs of (sealed) slippers are offered in the closet. Unfortunately, the property (not shockingly) doesn't use Marriott's TV software and only offers Live TV.

The only two issues I noticed with the room were two small (likely makeup) stains on one of the sheets that didn't come out in laundry and the ability to hear nearby sirens from MGH (which again didn't wake me up in the night).

As a welcome gift choice, Platinum+ members can choose to get a voucher for breakfast at CLINK, which, per the front desk, covers $50 of food ($70 with tax and gratuity) per day. Breakfast was quite nice, and it was nice to have a sit-down breakfast outside of the room. I actually didn't have to sign a receipt, so I assume that gratuity is added automatically for the servers (my server said that all they needed was the voucher, which is definitely a nice touch).

The staff was helpful, and daily housekeeping is an option that is offered at check-in. The property was quite busy, so the two working Tower elevators could get busy at peak times.

Conclusion: Each property has its pros and cons, and I'm happy I tried all of them. However, despite the fact that it could be in any city and lacks "Boston character," I think my favorite was the Boston Marriott Copley Place.

Last edited by ElevatorEnthusiast; May 7, 2021 at 7:52 am
Old May 7, 2021, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Nice to hear that the Copley is getting an M Lounge... and hopefully it'll actually be open on weekends for elites. Am very surprised they provided breakfast, since that property has always been a stickler for just giving the 1000 points/nt when the lounge is closed.
Old May 7, 2021, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Nice to hear that the Copley is getting an M Lounge... and hopefully it'll actually be open on weekends for elites. Am very surprised they provided breakfast, since that property has always been a stickler for just giving the 1000 points/nt when the lounge is closed.
I was very surprised, too, but I even noticed that the old 28th floor lounge had a sign that talked about the A La Carte breakfast for Elites during the lounge closure. At first, I thought that maybe I had just gotten a really nice front desk associate, but the sign confirmed that my experience was, indeed, not unique.

As for the M Club, I couldn't see inside as the floor was blocked off, but the entrance with the lighted M Club sign looked finished when viewed from the escalators. I'm not sure what it replaced as the Champions and Connexion Lounge spaces were still there (albeit closed).

Last edited by ElevatorEnthusiast; May 7, 2021 at 12:29 pm
Old May 7, 2021, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Curious why they would stick the M Club on the ground as opposed to continuing to use the much nicer Concierge Lounge space.
Old May 7, 2021, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cmd320
Curious why they would stick the M Club on the ground as opposed to continuing to use the much nicer Concierge Lounge space.
Kitchens are probably on the ground floor - easier to support and staff food and beverage services to a CL/M Club.

Also, by having M Clubs on the ground floor, it drives folks to see it who aren't M Club eligible to want to get on the benefits path for elite.

David
Old May 24, 2021, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Which hotel in Copley Place for a 1-night stay in June with adjoining room for the kids? Have previously stayed at Westin - how does it compare with Marriott and Sheraton? It appears they are all available with Amex 50k certs. Would be good to know if any are back to full service now with pools & restaurants open.
Old May 24, 2021, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Which hotel in Copley Place for a 1-night stay in June with adjoining room for the kids? Have previously stayed at Westin - how does it compare with Marriott and Sheraton? It appears they are all available with Amex 50k certs. Would be good to know if any are back to full service now with pools & restaurants open.
I can't comment on the Sheraton as it was completely closed last month when I was in town, but the Marriott's pool was open (albeit with a security guard monitoring for capacity). None of the restaurants were open, but there was in-room dining, which was how Elite breakfast was handled during my stay last month. It's also important to note that, as of now, you can't directly access either Copley Place or the Prudential Center from the Marriott due to construction barriers on the 2nd floor (there isn't actually any construction - I think they are just there to force all guests to pass by the front desk at the Marriott) - you have to walk outside and cross the porte cochere to enter the skywalk area via the Copley Place mall entrance where you can then head into either Copley Place or cross the skybridge into the Prudential Center.

I haven't stayed at the Westin since before the pandemic and did not have Bonvoy status at the time, but I do know that the Westin does not have a pool. Despite its somewhat dated decor, I personally enjoyed my experience at the Marriott more, but it would be hard not to with the added Titanium benefits of a junior suite upgrade and Elite breakfast (not sure of the breakfast situation right now at the Westin).
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 6:52 pm

Any recent stays at the Boston Marriott Cambridge in Kendall Square?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.