Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Ebates booking with BRG adjustment

Has anyone booked via Ebates, then used BRG to adjust the room rate? After the stay is complete, does Ebates still provide a rebate? Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Has anyone booked via Ebates, then used BRG to adjust the room rate? After the stay is complete, does Ebates still provide a rebate? Thanks
asked and answered many times. Yes it does.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by cfischer
asked and answered many times. Yes it does.

thanks very much
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
TCB up to 8%/10% through 11 April. Wiki updated.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
TCB back to 4%/6%. Wiki updated.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Unfortunately Jewel at 3% since 2 weeks ago ...

and MrRebates also !
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:27 pm

What is the best CC to get for Marriott in terms of points bonus with minimum annual fee. I am with Hilton and close to achieve diamond status. Would like to stay in Marriott (Sheraton which is close to work place) for few weeks. Between Marriott and Hilton, which points are better in terms of value. I have close to million Hilton points. Thinking of getting some Marriott points before my project ends in 2 months.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by rustum76
What is the best CC to get for Marriott in terms of points bonus with minimum annual fee. I am with Hilton and close to achieve diamond status. Would like to stay in Marriott (Sheraton which is close to work place) for few weeks. Between Marriott and Hilton, which points are better in terms of value. I have close to million Hilton points. Thinking of getting some Marriott points before my project ends in 2 months.
Marriott points are worth more than Hilton points, but also you get a lot fewer for a stay.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:26 pm

Which is better card to apply for without too much annual fee. I would like to have a option to downgrade in case I no longer traveling.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:51 am

I received a promo email yesterday offering Marriott Bonvoy points purchase at 25% off when you buy 5,000 - 50,000.
Coming from the Starwood side where the discount was occasionally higher, I was wondering if historically Marriott has offered discounts on points purchase and if it was ever higher than 25%.

Thank you.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Uber Titanium; From US CP to dirt (Its been a while)
The cheapest 6x card is Bonvoy Boundless at $95.
The 3x point card might be free. Don't recall.
https://creditcards.chase.com/marrio...dless_benefits

Both Amex and Chase business cards are slightly more.
Amex 100K signup bonus ends this week.
The Amex Brilliant card is solid if you can utilize the extra perks. Effective rate is $150.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by ackpfft
The cheapest 6x card is Bonvoy Boundless at $95.
The 3x point card might be free. Don't recall.
https://creditcards.chase.com/marrio...dless_benefits

Both Amex and Chase business cards are slightly more.
Amex 100K signup bonus ends this week.
The Amex Brilliant card is solid if you can utilize the extra perks. Effective rate is $150.
Do we get $300 statement credit for hotel stays charged to Amex card? Is there any no fee card to downgrade after a year which can help to keep points from expiring as well.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by rustum76
Do we get $300 statement credit for hotel stays charged to Amex card? Is there any no fee card to downgrade after a year which can help to keep points from expiring as well.
Yes to first question.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:30 pm

Thanks for the information. is there any Marriott amex no fee card to downgrade it to later. Which one is better in terms of ability to downgrade to no fee card and keep extending expiry date.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by gregv
I received a promo email yesterday offering Marriott Bonvoy points purchase at 25% off when you buy 5,000 - 50,000.
Coming from the Starwood side where the discount was occasionally higher, I was wondering if historically Marriott has offered discounts on points purchase and if it was ever higher than 25%.
Thank you.
Not as I know, but it still makes little sense to buy points at this price anyway, unless you have some immediate necessity to use them and a reasonable redemption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.