Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by KRSW
Has anyone ever done cash back then filed a LNF/BRG? Will the cash back still post at all?
of course and discussed many times ... just a few posts above. In almost all cases cashback works just fine w/ BRG/LNF (on the adjusted rate). I have had a few that somehow disconnected from the cashback and did not post, but I'd say 8/10 post for me.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Mr Rebates

I don't think it's been reported yet that legacy Starwood Hotels are back on Mr Rebates with 3% discount.

Starwood Hotels
3% Cash Back * Cash Back awarded up to 40 days after completion of travel.
* Cash Back is not available on airfare, car rentals, vacation packages (vacationsbymarriott.com) and gift cards.
* Cash Back not available for rooms offered at specially negotiated rates. (e.g., government rates, corporate rates, the Marriott employee rate, redeemed Marriott Rewards points, or special promotional rates set by property). * Please view further specific property restrictions in the "restrictions" link.

Cash Back Rebate Restrictions:
* Cash Back awarded up to 40 days after completion of travel.
* Bvlgari and Design Hotels bookings are not eligible for cash back.
* Cash Back is not available on airfare, car rentals, vacation packages (vacationsbymarriott.com) and gift cards.
* Cash Back not available for rooms offered at specially negotiated rates. (e.g., government rates, corporate rates, the Marriott employee rate, redeemed Marriott Rewards points, or special promotional rates set by property).
* Cash Back not available for the following brands: ExecuStay, Ritz Carlton, Edition, BVLGARI, Grand Residences. Cash Back not available for the following properties: The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection, Riyadh Marriott, Saudi Arabia, Aspen Wye River Conference Center (Maryland), The Marriott Ranch Bed and Breakfast (Virginia), AC Hotel Lisboa, AC Hotel Som, AC Hotel Nuevo Portil Golf.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
TCB back to 8%/10% for 1-3/4+ nights. Today and tomorrow.

By the way, anyone having problems with stays tracking in TCB? None of the 8 reservations I have made since late December are tracking. TCB just says Wait a week, file a missing cash back claim.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
TCB at 7%/9% for the next 3 days
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:25 pm

I've had multiple times where TCB doesn't post stays and it becomes a real ordeal to go back & forth with them, get folios, etc. Unless they're substantially higher, I usually use eBates/MrRebates.
Counsellor likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Mr Rebates is 8% right now.
TerryK and KRSW like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:12 pm

Top Cash Back has Marriott at 10% for 4+ night, or 8% for 1-3 nights. Ends "tomorrow" (Monday February 4th?)
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Jewel 8.80%
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Ebates @ 9% today
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Avios UK: 9 Avios / pound
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:33 am

Ebates again is offering 10% on Marriott "for 48 hours" which probably means the deal expires on 7 February.
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
ebates 10% back

Marriott/Ebates have been running some 10% back deals lately. Has anyone had any luck with these. I booked a handful of stays late December for January. All on AAA or Marriott Member rates.

When looking at my rebate status in ebates it now says "Marriott.com did not provide Cash Back for this purchase." which is different than the usual Cash Back will be added to your Ebates account within six weeks after travel has been completed.

Does this mean Marriott has excluded these stays? I can see excluding the AAA rates as the T&C mentions no rates which require a membership or employer affiliation. But should the Marriott member rates been excluded too? If so that seems kinda lame as it basically means most stays booked on marriott.com would be excluded since I would imagine there is a high likelihood if you are booking through that channel you are a member of Marriott rewards.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ellinj
Marriott/Ebates have been running some 10% back deals lately. Has anyone had any luck with these. I booked a handful of stays late December for January. All on AAA or Marriott Member rates.

When looking at my rebate status in ebates it now says "Marriott.com did not provide Cash Back for this purchase." which is different than the usual Cash Back will be added to your Ebates account within six weeks after travel has been completed.

Does this mean Marriott has excluded these stays? I can see excluding the AAA rates as the T&C mentions no rates which require a membership or employer affiliation. But should the Marriott member rates been excluded too? If so that seems kinda lame as it basically means most stays booked on marriott.com would be excluded since I would imagine there is a high likelihood if you are booking through that channel you are a member of Marriott rewards.
Check if your rate says it's commissionable or not. This will be noted in the confirmation email. I have seen special member rates before that are non-commissionable, and they should also note as such when booking.
getagb likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Have booked several Marriott member rates and gotten reimbursed after the stay no problem, except once when I checked out early
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Good luck. It's a total scam. I stay at a different hotel every week, sometimes 2-3 hotels a week. I had a string of 5 bookings on a single day back in November when they ran the 12% promotion. Not one posted and I had to submit a request for manual entry. Four were denied by Marriott owing to "the customer must have used a coupon or some other site". Total and complete bull. The stays even posted as "pending" on Ebates so it was clearly a click-through from Ebates. The fifth one was manually added by Ebates and I was told it was a one-time exception.

If it's the 'normal' 2 or 3% rate the stays almost always post without any issue.

PS - I'm now going through the same thing with another cash back website (not Ebates) for a Marriott stay at an 8% rate. Again, Marriott is claiming I used another website or a coupon. I have no Marriott coupons!!!!

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.