Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. Its the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Marriott is back to 3%/5% on TCB

Last edited by Michilander; Aug 30, 2018 at 12:39 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Hyatt Gold Passport Continental FF Southwest FF Delta FF
Amex 20% off if you spend $300 at Marriott

Seems to be a targeted offer. Offer announces that it will last for a limited time, so if you are interested enroll quickly. Although the offer announces that it excludes gift cards, my experience has been that a $300 gift card will receive the bonus.
Brendan likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:51 pm

Amex Offer

And there is also a Ritz Carlton one. Spend $500 get $100 statement credit.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Originally Posted by ichorush
Seems to be a targeted offer. Offer announces that it will last for a limited time, so if you are interested enroll quickly. Although the offer announces that it excludes gift cards, my experience has been that a $300 gift card will receive the bonus.
Gift cards have always worked for me too. Still, it will be nice to hear confirmation from the early pioneers.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:10 pm

marriott gift card

can someone confirm whether marriott gift cards can be used at spg properties now?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by BigE
Gift cards have always worked for me too. Still, it will be nice to hear confirmation from the early pioneers.
Worked for me. Bought GC at the desk.
Hardest part is findin a hotel that still sells GCs.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, they can
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie

Worked for me. Bought GC at the desk.
Hardest part is findin a hotel that still sells GCs.
great to know. Although I will be using my 2 x $60 credits with US hotel stays this time. Always great to have these offers
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
TCB is up to 5%/7% for the next 4 days.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:09 pm

NYC Locations Selling Gift Cards

Do any Marriott's in NYC or Long Island sell gift cards? I've called about 10 of them with no luck.

Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:48 am

Marriott is at 10% on Ebates. Not sure for how long, though. You may want to try rebooking what you can, and if it goes through then cancel the original booking.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:52 am

So I have no idea where to ask this question... MODs feel free to move it if there is a better place, I didn't want to start a new thread.

What is new marriott's policy on transferring points between household accounts? Is it still 50,000? If they are doing away with SPG's old policy that's a massive blow.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by tygran37
So I have no idea where to ask this question... MODs feel free to move it if there is a better place, I didn't want to start a new thread.

What is new marriott's policy on transferring points between household accounts? Is it still 50,000? If they are doing away with SPG's old policy that's a massive blow.
Clearly stated on T & Cs that it's not 100K max to anyone.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by jrbb1234
Do any Marriott's in NYC or Long Island sell gift cards? I've called about 10 of them with no luck.

Thanks!
white plains used to - did you call them?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
white plains used to - did you call them?
Call Stamford

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.