Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Upromise.com is offering 7% off Marriott through 7/15
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Rdubs
Mr. Rebates is now at 4% for Marriott. Usually it is at 2%, doesn't last long at 4%.
https://www.mrrebates.com/merchant.asp?id=6608
I hope I got the 4% on my first hotel. Mr. Rebates said it was 4%. An hour or two later I booked 2 more but it was down to 2% by then. The offer must expire sometime midday instead of at midnight.

I then logged out and back in to my Mr. Rebates account. It said there were now pending purchases. Do the purchases take some time to show up?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
TCB up to 5%/7% for next 6 days

Title says it all.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Damn.

I was hoping this was some sort of stock market #hottake .
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by gardengirl
I then logged out and back in to my Mr. Rebates account. It said there were now pending purchases. Do the purchases take some time to show up?
With Mr. Rebates, it usually takes a few weeks for the purchases to show up. Sometimes as quickly as two weeks, recently I have had a few take four weeks to show.
The amounts will show as Pending for 90 days before moving to Available. This is because a credit card holder usually can dispute a charge within 90 days, so it waits for that period to expire before unlocking the rewards. It's a mechanism against people ringing up charges, pocketing the rebate then disputing the charge.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:42 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
eBates is at 4.5% for booking Marriott stays right now. Still 1.5% for SPG stays though.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:14 pm

Ebates has 10% at marriott for just today. Hurry and re-book all your stays . Wish I traveling as much as I was last year. I could have made a nice penny on this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Ebates hat 10% cashback again today!
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:42 am

E-Bates is offering a 6% rebate on Marriott properties bookings, up from 1.5%. Not sure how long the offer is valid.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ebates has 10% again. Now I need to re-book again after I re-booked already at 6% ... worth it though at $800.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
It seems like it's a Thursday thing. They've had 10% for the past three Thursdays. I've booked about 80 nights for the next three months with this offer.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Has anyone used "USEJEWEL.COM"? They currently have 7.6% on marriott. Just book a $900 reservation for December. Hope it works.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I see that Marriott is now zero on many of the usual sites like ebates or topcashback...
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan
I see that Marriott is now zero on many of the usual sites like ebates or topcashback...
they must have turned that off due to conversion problems. I already got Emails from Topcashback that I will have to submit manual claims for *W stays since there are technical issues. I am near certain Marriott is going to bring this back once they have the transition stuff completed.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
will Marriott GCs now work at SPG properties? I see that they still sell them, but the Ts &Cs still exclude certain properties.

TIA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.