Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Nova Scotia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2006, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Westin Nova Scotia [Master Thread]

Anyone wants to share their opinion about this Westin Hotel?

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; May 21, 2007 at 8:38 am
Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL FO, US SP, SPG G, HH S, PC PLT
Bump.... Anyone stayed here recently?

Thanks

To/From the Airport?

Local Dinning

Gold Treatment?

SCA
Old Sep 21, 2009, 7:02 pm
Community Director Emerita

Go to the end of this thread comparing the 4 Points and the Westin, and you'll find some comments about the Westin.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-thread-2.html
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AC Altitude50
I'm surprised that there are no comments for this hotel. I've stayed here numerous times over the years and always enjoy this hotel.
The location is great for tourism. All the sites are walkable along the waterfront.There is a nice pool and hot tub if you are travelling with children
The staff is extremely friendly and accommodating from the moment you check in until you leave.
The Platinum recognition is fantastic. I was with my son and upgraded to a ridiculously huge suite with an extra bedroom and a kitchen. It had views on 3 sides.A bottle of local wine was a nice touch too.
The food is delicious. The seafood chowder is one of my favourite dishes in the country. It's chowder with pieces of various seafood. They gave us two full a la carte breakfasts as my Platinum amenity. (The buffet was not available due to low occupancy)

I wouldn't consider any other hotel in Halifax.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:36 pm

Agreed. Great Plat recognition. Well located. Excellent staff/service. Green Choice and full breakfast too.

My property of choice in Halifax.

By the way, it's the Westin Nova "Scotian", if a Mod would like the title to be accurate.

Cheers,
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AC Altitude50
Originally Posted by canalskater
I'm surprised that there are no comments for this hotel. I've stayed here numerous times over the years and always enjoy this hotel.
The location is great for tourism. All the sites are walkable along the waterfront.There is a nice pool and hot tub if you are travelling with children
The staff is extremely friendly and accommodating from the moment you check in until you leave.
The Platinum recognition is fantastic. I was with my son and upgraded to a ridiculously huge suite with an extra bedroom and a kitchen. It had views on 3 sides.A bottle of local wine was a nice touch too.
The food is delicious. The seafood chowder is one of my favourite dishes in the country. It's chowder with pieces of various seafood. They gave us two full a la carte breakfasts as my Platinum amenity. (The buffet was not available due to low occupancy)

I wouldn't consider any other hotel in Halifax.
I just completed another stay. The Platinum recognition is as good or better than any other Starwood property. I always have been upgraded to a suite. They gave me and my 2 University age boys free buffet breakfast, free parking,a bottle of wine, free rollaways and a beautiful suite.The staff are super friendly and the food very good. Chris, in Elements, was outstanding including suggesting great sightseeing/hiking recommendations that you won't find in a guide book and restaurants for locals.
It is too bad that all Starwood properties don't treat their guests this well.

Last edited by canalskater; Aug 7, 2016 at 12:38 pm
Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by canalskater
I just completed another stay. The Platinum recognition is as good or better than any other Starwood property. I always have been upgraded to a suite. They gave me and my 2 University age boys free buffet breakfast, free parking,a bottle of wine, free rollaways and a beautiful suite.The staff are super friendly and the food very good. Chris, in Elements, was outstanding including suggesting great sightseeing/hiking recommendations that you won't find in a guide book and restaurants for locals.
It is too bad that all Starwood properties don't treat their guests this well.
Agreed - just completed a stay two weeks ago. Free valet parking, free breakfast, friendly staff. We didn't get a suite due to our stay coinciding with major events that had the hotel sold out, but still upgraded to a great water view room.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: AC 50k, Marriott Titanium
I just stayed at this hotel last weekend. It's really nice and looks like it was renovated recently. I was upgraded slightly to a higher floor with a bay view but the room size was probably the standard for the hotel (smaller that most North American hotels due to this being a really old building). I called a few days early asking for a quiet room and they were able to do that for me and put a small bottle of wine in my room.

Free valet parking for Platinums and above (maybe golds too, I can't remember).

I chose the breakfast as my amenity and it was at the restaurant buffet which includes an omelet station.

Internet was decent but I've had better and it disconnected you every day.

Overall it's a really nice hotel with great staff but a little far from downtown. I missed being able to get around without going outside like I can from the Marriott (and formerly the Deltas).
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
I am currently at this hotel and have to say my stay has not measured up to those of the previous reviewers. For those who don't know, this is the former CN Nova Scotian - a railway hotel located adjoining the train station. We arrived here by train and there's lots to do in the area, making it the ideal place to stay. I have stayed here previously in both its prior iterations before Bonvoy/Marriott. My request to use SNA's for this stay was denied over a month ago and the awards were returned to my account at that time. (So much for the theory that they don't look at them until 5 days before.) As I have documented in the SNA thread, the only option since then was actually a downgrade. I had booked - a "Premium Guest room, 1 King, Harbor view" - the best room of 4 options available.

Check-in: I used mobile check-in when prompted by email, so expected everything to be in order when we arrived. We were 20 minutes late for the 6pm I had indicated. When we entered the hotel from the train waiting room it was clear the hotel was under some renovations and the front desk was blocked off with yellow caution tape. Proceeded a little further to find three people seated at a table with computers in front of them, with no signage to indicated why they were there.
"Yes", the first person said, without looking up to make eye contact. "Is this the front desk?" I asked. "Yes" was the reply, so I gave my name and advised I had used the mobile check-in. Typing ensued. "I'm sorry sir, but your mobile check-in did not go through so we're going to have to start from the beginning." Okay, this has happened before and all they need is your Bonvoy number to call up your profile. Not here! Name, length of stay, yada-yada. Then they need photo ID and to "run" my credit card. I am asked to enter my PIN for Amex with no amount visible, so ask what I am being charged. "Two nights stay and a set amount for incidentals." Huh? I haven't experienced this at a hotel in years, but hey - it's been a long day and we're tired. "I'm sorry sir, but your Amex card has been declined for this amount or you removed it too early." Now I'm getting a little annoyed, knowing neither is possible. She agrees to try again and this time it works. Next, "Due to your late check-in your preferred room type is not available." Still not sure what this meant, as she proceeds immediately to "What would you like as your Platinum gift?" I don't bother correcting her - several hotels think Titanium is lower than Platinum anyway. I ask for the options, which are: Continental breakfast for 1, valet parking or 1000 points. I choose breakfast (but had not seen continental in any of the previous reviews) and indicate my wife, who is standing next to me, would also like breakfast. "Oh, would you like to add your wife to the reservation?" She sighs and writes "X2" on the little card, then fills one out for the following day and advises me that full breakfast will be $10 extra. By this time all I want are the keys and less attitude. I've had better experiences at Fairfield Inns, and if you think this is a "one-off" there are several similar experiences documented on TripAdvisor.

The room: Okay, there is more to renovating a room than placing hard-surface tops on the 80's scratched up desk and TV stand in the room. The carpet is dirty and stained, and debris left by a prior guest has gone undisturbed through at least 2 cleanings, including one since we've been here. The 26" TV is an early 6-inch thick "flat" panel - not exactly up to current hotel standards. Finally, if they paid someone to renovate the bathroom they were ripped off. The old chipped tub has simply been retouched with paint, random shower tiles have been replaced with ones not quite the same color and the toilet is ancient - from the days when American Standard was just Standard. Sure there's some marble and new chrome accents, but the controls for both the shower and the toilet must date from 50's. There is a new rainfall shower head, but the pairing of things like that with cracked floor tiles lacks direction. The "lipstick on a pig" analogy comes to mind. On the positive side, the bed is very comfortable. No bathrobes were provided despite their supposed inclusion with my "preferred room type" aka what I booked.

In conclusion, the hotel is in a great location if you want to be near the harbor or the train station. However it is somewhat like a Quality Inn that thinks it's a JW Marriott.
Antonio8069 likes this.

Last edited by yyzflyer; Nov 5, 2019 at 12:58 pm
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Thanks for your review. I was looking for a Halifax hotel for next weekend. I considered the Westin for its location but recent trip adviser reviews aren't great, so I think I'll stick with the Delta Dartmouth, which is very nice.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:42 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by yyzflyer
I am currently at this hotel and have to say my stay has not measured up to those of the previous reviewers. For those who don't know, this is the former CN Nova Scotian - a railway hotel located adjoining the train station. We arrived here by train and there's lots to do in the area, making it the ideal place to stay. I have stayed here previously in both its prior iterations before Bonvoy/Marriott. My request to use SNA's for this stay was denied over a month ago and the awards were returned to my account at that time. (So much for the theory that they don't look at them until 5 days before.) As I have documented in the SNA thread, the only option since then was actually a downgrade. I had booked - a "Premium Guest room, 1 King, Harbor view" - the best room of 4 options available.

Check-in: I used mobile check-in when prompted by email, so expected everything to be in order when we arrived. We were 20 minutes late for the 6pm I had indicated. When we entered the hotel from the train waiting room it was clear the hotel was under some renovations and the front desk was blocked off with yellow caution tape. Proceeded a little further to find three people seated at a table with computers in front of them, with no signage to indicated why they were there.
"Yes", the first person said, without looking up to make eye contact. "Is this the front desk?" I asked. "Yes" was the reply, so I gave my name and advised I had used the mobile check-in. Typing ensued. "I'm sorry sir, but your mobile check-in did not go through so we're going to have to start from the beginning." Okay, this has happened before and all they need is your Bonvoy number to call up your profile. Not here! Name, length of stay, yada-yada. Then they need photo ID and to "run" my credit card. I am asked to enter my PIN for Amex with no amount visible, so ask what I am being charged. "Two nights stay and a set amount for incidentals." Huh? I haven't experienced this at a hotel in years, but hey - it's been a long day and we're tired. "I'm sorry sir, but your Amex card has been declined for this amount or you removed it too early." Now I'm getting a little annoyed, knowing neither is possible. She agrees to try again and this time it works. Next, "Due to your late check-in your preferred room type is not available." Still not sure what this meant, as she proceeds immediately to "What would you like as your Platinum gift?" I don't bother correcting her - several hotels think Titanium is lower than Platinum anyway. I ask for the options, which are: Continental breakfast for 1, valet parking or 1000 points. I choose breakfast (but had not seen continental in any of the previous reviews) and indicate my wife, who is standing next to me, would also like breakfast. "Oh, would you like to add your wife to the reservation?" She sighs and writes "X2" on the little card, then fills one out for the following day and advises me that full breakfast will be $10 extra. By this time all I want are the keys and less attitude. I've had better experiences at Fairfield Inns, and if you think this is a "one-off" there are several similar experiences documented on TripAdvisor.

The room: Okay, there is more to renovating a room than placing hard-surface tops on the 80's scratched up desk and TV stand in the room. The carpet is dirty and stained, and debris left by a prior guest has gone undisturbed through at least 2 cleanings, including one since we've been here. The 26" TV is an early 6-inch thick "flat" panel - not exactly up to current hotel standards. Finally, if they paid someone to renovate the bathroom they were ripped off. The old chipped tub has simply been retouched with paint, random shower tiles have been replaced with ones not quite the same color and the toilet is ancient - from the days when American Standard was just Standard. Sure there's some marble and new chrome accents, but the controls for both the shower and the toilet must date from 50's. There is a new rainfall shower head, but the pairing of things like that with cracked floor tiles lacks direction. The "lipstick on a pig" analogy comes to mind. On the positive side, the bed is very comfortable. No bathrobes were provided despite their supposed inclusion with my "preferred room type" aka what I booked.

In conclusion, the hotel is in a great location if you want to be near the harbor or the train station. However it is somewhat like a Quality Inn that thinks it's a JW Marriott.
I'm sorry to hear about this, yyzflyer. If you'd like to email us at [email protected] or send a private message with your reservation confirmation number, full name, and contact information we'd be glad to follow up with the hotel's management team about your experience and concerns.

Thank you,

Robert V.

Social Media Liaison
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by yyzflyer
it is somewhat like a Quality Inn that thinks it's a JW Marriott.
That's a hilariously accurate summary of most Westins in general. They're basically like roadside motels for lawyers, accountants, and consultants.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Wow, no comment or trip report for this Bonvoy significant property in Halifax? Well the Marriott Harbourfront Hotel and Muir Hotel is getting all the love and attention lately.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 10:43 am

Would be curious to hear some recent opinions, how is the breakfast?
No lounge ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.