Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
Ebates at 10% again. Just got paid another $50 for a recent LNF stay @ 10%. Honestly, these 10% cashbacks is what is keeping my loyalty to Marriott right now ... despite the many issues that still remain.
I'm right there with you on this. While the 10% doesn't cover how much time I've wasted dealing with Marriott IT problems (I have a phone call scheduled with them tomorrow), this certainly helps ease the pain a bit.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:51 am

Monday's Tuesday's count:
eBates: 2%
MrRebates: 8%
TopCashBack: 6% 4+ nights / 3% 1-3 nights.

Not ideal, but 8%'s nothing to scoff at.

Last edited by KRSW; Feb 26, 2019 at 8:44 am
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Basic clarification

TCB sites states corporate rates are not valid for these promo's. So do you all book the normal publicly available rates only to ensure cashback?
I believe there are no points & nights credited to the loyalty program too if booked thru TCB/ebates or is this understanding incorrect and points & nights credits do happen ?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:16 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
You will still get credits because you are still booking on Marriot's website.

Corporate rates will generally not be commissionable, so you will not get cash back on them.
curl likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Using ebates/Rakuten to book marriott rooms

So there was an offer via ebates of 10% when you used their link to book marriott. When you click their link it redirects you to the marriott website. You do not get the credit until they confirm you have completed the stay. One room is a pay in full in advance and has been charged. The other room is a flex option and has not been charged yet. The AF just hit on the credit card I am using and I am thinking about product changing or canceling the card before these stays are completed. Does anyone know how ebates tracks marriott stays? Is it linked to the specific credit card or when they port you to the marriott website its linked to your name or something? Also, if I reserve a room with marriott using a certain card can I use a different card when I show-up to check in? I kind of remember hotels asking for the card I reserved with even though I was allowed to pay with different cards. Not sure if I am mis-remembering.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Red259
So there was an offer via ebates of 10% when you used their link to book marriott. When you click their link it redirects you to the marriott website. You do not get the credit until they confirm you have completed the stay. One room is a pay in full in advance and has been charged. The other room is a flex option and has not been charged yet. The AF just hit on the credit card I am using and I am thinking about product changing or canceling the card before these stays are completed. Does anyone know how ebates tracks marriott stays? Is it linked to the specific credit card or when they port you to the marriott website its linked to your name or something? Also, if I reserve a room with marriott using a certain card can I use a different card when I show-up to check in? I kind of remember hotels asking for the card I reserved with even though I was allowed to pay with different cards. Not sure if I am mis-remembering.
the credit card does not matter. It essentially establishes a link between the punch-out click and the reservation # on Marriott.com. Once you have your stay completed, usually a few weeks later, Marriott pays the corresponding cashback and then Ebates pays you. Pre-pay or not does not matter and changing CCs does not affect earnings. All you need to make sure is that it is a commissionable rate (this will be listed on your Email confirmation ... something like ... TAs please note, this is rate is commissionable).
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:46 pm

There seems to be some confusion about commissionable and non-commissionable rates. In short, Marriott will usually pay out a commission to a travel agent/OTA/cash-back site for room rates which are high enough that there's money left on the table. If you're able to find a non-commissionable rate, it's usually a sign that you're getting one of the lowest rates available for that room on that night.

How do I know which rates are which? Easy, try to book a room. On the pre-confirmation screen, you'll see this:

Note the verbiage I highlighted. The rate I selected is a non-commissionable rate. For this instance, I looked under the hotel's Deals and Packages tab and found a Member Exclusive Rate (different from the normal Marriott Rewards rates, which ARE commissionable). In this case, the regular rate is $211/nt, the Member Rate is $201/nt. Even with getting 10% from a cash back website, it makes sense to book the non-commissionable rate at $169/nt instead of the commissionable Member Rate at $201/nt (effectively $180.90/nt w/10% cash back).

If it doesn't show that verbiage at the review screen, it *is* a commissionable rate, and cash back websites will work.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by KRSW
There seems to be some confusion about commissionable and non-commissionable rates. In short, Marriott will usually pay out a commission to a travel agent/OTA/cash-back site for room rates which are high enough that there's money left on the table. If you're able to find a non-commissionable rate, it's usually a sign that you're getting one of the lowest rates available for that room on that night.

How do I know which rates are which? Easy, try to book a room. On the pre-confirmation screen, you'll see this:

Note the verbiage I highlighted. The rate I selected is a non-commissionable rate. For this instance, I looked under the hotel's Deals and Packages tab and found a Member Exclusive Rate (different from the normal Marriott Rewards rates, which ARE commissionable). In this case, the regular rate is $211/nt, the Member Rate is $201/nt. Even with getting 10% from a cash back website, it makes sense to book the non-commissionable rate at $169/nt instead of the commissionable Member Rate at $201/nt (effectively $180.90/nt w/10% cash back).

If it doesn't show that verbiage at the review screen, it *is* a commissionable rate, and cash back websites will work.
Very useful post. Would you consider summarizing and adding to the wiki?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Michilander
Very useful post. Would you consider summarizing and adding to the wiki?
On second thought, mooper, as the owner of the thread, what do you think about putting pointers to particularly useful posts like this one in the wiki?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:11 pm

Ebates has Marriott back at 10% today. Not sure how long it's offered.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:38 am

Has anyone used UseJewel for Marriott bookings? Are they reliable? I've used Topcashback and Ebates without issues so far.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:24 pm

TopCashBack has Marriott/Bonvoy properties at up to 10% cashback. Offer valid through March 31st, 2019.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:18 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
10x AA / 10x Ebates for Marriott stays today

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...t-stays-today/
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by lilkid28
Has anyone used UseJewel for Marriott bookings? Are they reliable? I've used Topcashback and Ebates without issues so far.
all right with Jewel. Reservations are posted after just a couple of minutes always.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:48 am

Top Cash Back has Marriott at up to 10% rebate through 31 March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.