Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus; American Advantage; Marriott Rewards; Hilton Honors
TopCashBack now at 8%; stated to last 4 days.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Everytime I try to click thru to Marriott.com from a portal such as eBates or AAdvantage eShopping, the connection times out. If I access Marriott.com directly (without a portal) it works fine. Other stores accessed thru the portal also work. Anyone else having this issue? I tried different browsers, clearing browsing data, etc. It's been like this for several days.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: HH-D / IHG-Sp / Marriott-P / LH-SEN / BA-S
Originally Posted by jaymar01
Many Marriott and SPG hotels in Europe are offering a free breakfast promo. Book thru the attached link, and pay with by Visa.

Valid at participating hotels for bookings until 31st December 2018 for stays until 31st March 2019. The room must be booked at least 7 days in advance.

Offer code: C9E

https://www.marriott.de/default.mi?a...87&co=DE&nt=PH
I wrongly paid this rate with my saved MasterCard in my profile. Hotel refused to refund and recharge my Visa since it was prepaid rate and insisted I had to pay the full breakfast rate.
Unfortunately the Marriott Gold does not have complementary breakfast anymore, so I didn't get that comp breakfast. Hotel manager was so pig-headed.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:35 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by sch7458
I wrongly paid this rate with my saved MasterCard in my profile. Hotel refused to refund and recharge my Visa since it was prepaid rate and insisted I had to pay the full breakfast rate.
Unfortunately the Marriott Gold does not have complementary breakfast anymore, so I didn't get that comp breakfast. Hotel manager was so pig-headed.
Would be helpful for the next guest to mention which property was this!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Renaissance Düsseldorf. I asked the FOM to make an exception, he refused and instead started to pick a dispute.
He insisted as it is prepaid rate that has been paid a month ago, and nothing can be done. It's not very difficult job to reverse the transaction in the EFTPOS terminal and re-charge my VISA card.
I asked for a complimentary breakfast which otherwise would cost 26 EUR. I'm Gold member and I know I'm not entitled for comp breakfast as I'm still on Platinum run right now.
But I don't know why it was so difficult to make one time exception to give me a comp breakfast which I would otherwise get if I pay with Visa.
I was only alone and the restaurant won't probably suddenly run out of breakfast if they comp me.

Also asked for an upgrade since the room I stayed was too hot, and he said either I stay in the standard room with king, or slightly larger room but with two double beds.
He repeatedly say no exception to this as Gold member isn't entitled to suite upgrade anyway (although hotel was quite empty).
While he was correct, but the way he communicated was not so friendly.

Yes I made a mistake by paying the room using the saved CC in my profile and yes it was only 60 EUR rate that I paid.
But I believe this is a wrong treatment, especially because the hotel is 4* (with very dated bathrooms though) and I earned my status not by credit cards, but by actually staying in Marriott.

I chose this hotel due to previous experience which was very good couple months back and now I regret my decision.
Counsellor and Kalboz like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Well this was my chatting with the FOM. We are speaking German, but I provide the English translation in red (what he said) and in green text (what I said).

Note that by "rebooking" I do not mean to rebook the date (I was already checked-in), but just to charge it into my VISA card.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:13 am

Ebates now giving 12% back on Marriott properties -- "good for 48 hours" so I presume ends tomorrow the 29th.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by sch7458
Renaissance Düsseldorf.
I chose this hotel due to previous experience which was very good couple months back and now I regret my decision.
Sad to hear this. I've always had good experiences with that property. Maybe a new manager?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I booked three hotels at the 12% rate last time Ebates had it. Only one showed up as pending.

Any hotels that ultimately book through spghotels.com (from Marriott.com) never appear as pending and I've so far gotten zero credit for them. Since I'm not 6 weeks past the stays yet I can't open a case with Ebates.

-RM
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I booked three hotels at the 12% rate last time Ebates had it. Only one showed up as pending.

Any hotels that ultimately book through spghotels.com (from Marriott.com) never appear as pending and I've so far gotten zero credit for them. Since I'm not 6 weeks past the stays yet I can't open a case with Ebates.

-RM
yeah, they are not really comissionable. All other Cashback sites have it listed as exclusions. Will be interesting to see how Ebates handles it

Last edited by cfischer; Dec 1, 2018 at 11:08 pm Reason: Typo
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Counsellor
Sad to hear this. I've always had good experiences with that property. Maybe a new manager?
I've no idea. But he posted his signature on Tripadvisor:
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by nacho
Does anyone know if this is valid for 1x only or multiple times in the offer period? I just had one post to my account and wondering if I'll see more (though I moved more of my bookings to Ebates lately because of the 10% on Thursdays or 12% they've been offering lately).

Thanks,
RM
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:39 am

Top Cash Back currently is offering 10% rebate on Marriott properties.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
This may already be mentioned in the thread, but I wanted to point out that I have a booking at the Ritz-Carlton Berlin that I booked through Ebates during the 12% and it is showing in the cash back list despite the Ritz-Carlton exclusion in the terms. No idea if it'll actually pay out or not, I guess I'll find out in six months after the stay. Also, as has been mentioned here, SPG properties don't work even if they've been moved to the new booking platform (Tribute, Sheraton, etc).
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:35 am

Ebates is offering 10% rebate on Marriott properties "for the next 48 hours". Probably means ends midnight on December 7th.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.