Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by trek87
I'm in a similar boat with TCB - my two transactions have been stuck in 'confirmed' status for several weeks.
I wouldn't worry about it as long as it has posted as confirmed - it's a matter of time to get the $. I got mine stuck for 2 months now, I'm ok with it as long it as posted, however my time limit is about 90 days. So if the cash is not available by the end of this month, then I'll contact TCB again.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by mooper
The affiliate program that runs Marriott's program for all cash back providers doesn't pay out for several weeks after the transaction is complete. I don't know of any cash back provider that will forward payment before they've received it, so you'll have to wait at least until the waiting period stated in their T&C before you should expect progress. If that point passes and nothing changes, I suggest you contact TCB with proof of purchase, tracking info, screenshots, and anything else that would help resolve, and I suspect they'll be responsive.
Originally Posted by nacho
I wouldn't worry about it as long as it has posted as confirmed - it's a matter of time to get the $. I got mine stuck for 2 months now, I'm ok with it as long it as posted, however my time limit is about 90 days. So if the cash is not available by the end of this month, then I'll contact TCB again.
Thank you both for the feedback. I'll just chill out for a few more weeks .
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
THE BONEYARD (Earn 5 points per dollar on all Marriott spending with the Chase Marriott Premier Visa Credit Card. This includes gift cards...
In the past I have received only 1 point per dollar when using the Marriott CC to purchase gift cards from Marriott.com . Seeing the above, I was hopeful that the policy had changed - but last week I only got 1 point per dollar for purchasing a Marriott gift card with their affiliated Visa card.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrizShel
In the past I have received only 1 point per dollar when using the Marriott CC to purchase gift cards from Marriott.com . Seeing the above, I was hopeful that the policy had changed - but last week I only got 1 point per dollar for purchasing a Marriott gift card with their affiliated Visa card.
Who is the merchant shown on your statement on the Marriott GC purchase?

And if it is Marriott, when you click open the line description, what do you see?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
In the past I have received only 1 point per dollar when using the Marriott CC to purchase gift cards from Marriott.com.
Originally Posted by Happy
Who is the merchant shown on your statement on the Marriott GC purchase?

And if it is Marriott, when you click open the line description, what do you see?
I too am curious who is listed as the merchant on your statement. If Marriott, you should call to protest, as all Marriott purchases are supposed to count and your experience contrasts what has happened with my purchases (multiple) over a period of years. Can anyone else chime in with data points on this issue?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH DIA, SPG Gold, Hyatt DIA
Here is the response I got from ebates in regards to my recent gift card purchase through their website:

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. I am sorry to hear that you have not received any cash-back for your travel purchase. Please allow 40 days from the end of your travel/rental for this order to be accurately credited to your account. If your travel/rental reservation is not credited to your account after 40 days from the end of your travel/rental, please reply to this email with your order confirmation page so we can contact our travel partner regarding this order.
Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for using Ebates every time you shop online.
The purchase still hasn't shown up in the "Cash Pending" section of my account, but the tracking tickets are there and I took a screenshot of the tracking ticket # when I made my purchase. When I purchased gift cards through topcashback & fatwallet the purchase showed up almost immediately so I suspect that their must be something up with the ebates cash back tracking.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kchockeyfan
Here is the response I got from ebates in regards to my recent gift card purchase through their website:

The purchase still hasn't shown up in the "Cash Pending" section of my account, but the tracking tickets are there and I took a screenshot of the tracking ticket # when I made my purchase. When I purchased gift cards through topcashback & fatwallet the purchase showed up almost immediately so I suspect that their must be something up with the ebates cash back tracking.
you just have to wait until you file your claim. Ebates is usually pretty good about giving retro-credit.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kchockeyfan

I had trouble with tracking my GC purchases through ebates. However as long as you have your invoice and tracking ticket you should be fine. I did get my cash back.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
I too am curious who is listed as the merchant on your statement. If Marriott, you should call to protest, as all Marriott purchases are supposed to count and your experience contrasts what has happened with my purchases (multiple) over a period of years. Can anyone else chime in with data points on this issue?
It says Marriott Gift Certificate, Salt Lake City, Utah. Clicked on through a link for Gift Cards from Fatwallet.

I called Chase and they said the points wouldn't post until the next statement (transaction posted on the last day of the period.)

Last edited by GrizShel; Sep 13, 2012 at 7:48 pm Reason: more info
Old Sep 14, 2012, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
It says Marriott Gift Certificate, Salt Lake City, Utah. Clicked on through a link for Gift Cards from Fatwallet.

I called Chase and they said the points wouldn't post until the next statement (transaction posted on the last day of the period.)
Ah yes, that probably explains it. Bonus points often post later than regular ones.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:36 am

I got my 12,000 Southwest points 6 weeks after purchase.

Originally Posted by gtu2004 View Post
Does anyone know how long it takes for you to actually receive cashback from TCB for a Marriott gift card purchase? I got it confirmed and pending and stuff, but it's been like 2 months...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by nacho
I had trouble with tracking my GC purchases through ebates. However as long as you have your invoice and tracking ticket you should be fine. I did get my cash back.
I disputed my gc purchase with ebates and provided invoice. Waiting over a week and still no pending credit.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
I got my WN points less than 2 weeks after purchase of the Marriott giftcards.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeR397
I disputed my gc purchase with ebates and provided invoice. Waiting over a week and still no pending credit.
It takes ages for Marriott GC for me too - both at ebates and hoopla doopla.

I had a dispute with ebates with Avis and after some long email exchanges I got my cash back - they adjusted it manually (they claim Avis refused to pay).
Old Sep 18, 2012, 4:28 pm

Is the 6.5% cash back for Fat Wallet expiration based on booking date or stay date? I have an upcoming stay in December for which I booked through Fat Wallet back when the 6.5% promotion was still in effect. Does it matter that the stay will be well after the promotion is over?

My apologies if this was answered further upstream; didn't catch explicit mention.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.