FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1362511-master-thread-current-marriott-gift-card-cash-back-tricks-promos.html)

stevekoe Aug 28, 2012 11:28 pm

Can someone who has earned the cash back through ebates clarify that I am on the right track here, please? When I log into ebates and link to Marriott, it takes me to Marriott's regular hotel site. To purchase the gift cards, I hovered over the Shop Marriott link on the bottom of the page and clicked on the gift card link which opened up a new page with a different web address. This type of purchase arrangement seems like one that doesn't usually work with cash back sites, no? Am I missing something?

mooper Aug 29, 2012 12:08 am

Originally Posted by stevekoe (Post 19213932)
Can someone who has earned the cash back through ebates clarify that I am on the right track here, please? When I log into ebates and link to Marriott, it takes me to Marriott's regular hotel site. To purchase the gift cards, I hovered over the Shop Marriott link on the bottom of the page and clicked on the gift card link which opened up a new page with a different web address. This type of purchase arrangement seems like one that doesn't usually work with cash back sites, no? Am I missing something?

As long as the cookie persists through the new tab/window spawn, it should be fine. Your settings can have an impact. I don't have any direct experience with this, but as all CB sites use the same CJ affiliate program (cookies behave the same) and FTer Nacho reported upthread that the new window spawn worked for Mr. Rebates, I'm presuming it will work with eBates, too. Would be nice if someone verified, however, and of course a link directly to the gifts.marriott.com site is preferable but not available through eBates (as far as I'm aware).

nacho Aug 29, 2012 1:54 am

Originally Posted by stevekoe (Post 19213932)

Yes, you start from there and then click gift card - not shop Marriott. When you click GC then it will show the GC page. I bought mine a couple of weeks ago and it didn't open a new window.

Make sure that you get a tracking ticket and you know which tracking ticket that leads to the purchase. There is a chance that they couldn't track, and as long as you can tell them the tracking ticket number and order number then you should be fine.

mooper Aug 30, 2012 2:33 pm

Noticed that the eBates 6.5% CB is part of their Labor Day Special, so likely expires around the 4th... the same time the Amtrak and some other gift card discounts expire. The 23% total available discount is the best we've seen in many months, so there's less than a week to jump on it. Could see some other nice offers around the holidays, but I doubt any opportunities will exceed the current one.

nacho Aug 30, 2012 4:00 pm

Mooper: ebates for Marriott is only for stays until the end of 2012 - I saw it at ebates earlier today.

mooper Aug 30, 2012 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by nacho (Post 19224966)
Mooper: ebates for Marriott is only for stays until the end of 2012 - I saw it at ebates earlier today.

Thanks. The offer probably ends around Sept 4th anyway, and I suspect most people don't book more than 4 months out, but good to know in case. If you have a link to those terms, I'd appreciate it.

nacho Aug 31, 2012 1:44 am

Originally Posted by mooper (Post 19225557)
Thanks. The offer probably ends around Sept 4th anyway, and I suspect most people don't book more than 4 months out, but good to know in case. If you have a link to those terms, I'd appreciate it.

I do actually book more than 4 months out because of the LNF possibility - you got to book when the rate is there :p

I can't find the link :( but I wrote on their FB wall. I'll update when I hear from them.

mooper Sep 1, 2012 6:28 pm

Removed expired Chase UR strategy from OP.

nacho Sep 1, 2012 7:15 pm

Got a reply from ebates and they don't seem to have to the valid for stays until 12/31/2012 thing, so I guess I can book my stays months ahead :)

PhillyPhlyer40 Sep 2, 2012 9:41 am

Wondering what everyone is planning for the rest of the year re:gift cards. I have ~$10K booked until 12/31, only have $1500 in GC's. Think we will see a better offer then what we currently have (10%off)????? I am thinking to hold off and order when we see the next offer-although this might "bite me" in the rear!! :p

nacho Sep 2, 2012 9:53 am

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 (Post 19239206)
Wondering what everyone is planning for the rest of the year re:gift cards. I have ~$10K booked until 12/31, only have $1500 in GC's. Think we will see a better offer then what we currently have (10%off)????? I am thinking to hold off and order when we see the next offer-although this might "bite me" in the rear!! :p

It's not exactly 10% off (you get 10% more $). I think the 6.5% cash back is simply super awesome, not sure you'll see it at the end of the year.

MikeR397 Sep 2, 2012 10:40 am

There are two conflicting points regarding if Ebates is goign to pay the 6.5% on GC purchases at Marriott.

FWIW, I bought some GC's through the Mr. Rebates 5% opportunity last week, and despite the direct to Marriott.com and then new GC popup page, I was credited for the GC purchase by Mr Rebates the next day. I did the same with Ebates 6.5% offer on Wednesday morning and so far nothing has credited to my Ebates account, despite using the exact same system.

I'm a bit concerned that Ebates is not going to pay on GC purchases like Mr. Rebates did with the direct to Marriott.com then to the GC popup page from the option at the bottom. My tracking ticket shows my history, and I can dispute it with Ebates, but they do not mention GCs at all (nor does MR) and I'm concerned they might deny my claim, even though GC's are not specifically excluded (as they should be if they are).

Has anyone made a Ebates Marriott GC purchase and been credited yet?

kchockeyfan Sep 2, 2012 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by MikeR397 (Post 19239508)
There are two conflicting points regarding if Ebates is goign to pay the 6.5% on GC purchases at Marriott.

FWIW, I bought some GC's through the Mr. Rebates 5% opportunity last week, and despite the direct to Marriott.com and then new GC popup page, I was credited for the GC purchase by Mr Rebates the next day. I did the same with Ebates 6.5% offer on Wednesday morning and so far nothing has credited to my Ebates account, despite using the exact same system.

I'm a bit concerned that Ebates is not going to pay on GC purchases like Mr. Rebates did with the direct to Marriott.com then to the GC popup page from the option at the bottom. My tracking ticket shows my history, and I can dispute it with Ebates, but they do not mention GCs at all (nor does MR) and I'm concerned they might deny my claim, even though GC's are not specifically excluded (as they should be if they are).

Has anyone made a Ebates Marriott GC purchase and been credited yet?

I am in the same boat as you. I made a purchase of Marriott gift cards through Ebates and have also not been credited for it yet. I also purchased gift cards through Top Cashback and haven't received a credit from them yet either. I am looking forward to seeing what other peoples experiences have been.

PhillyPhlyer40 Sep 2, 2012 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by kchockeyfan (Post 19240617)
I am in the same boat as you. I made a purchase of Marriott gift cards through Ebates and have also not been credited for it yet. I also purchased gift cards through Top Cashback and haven't received a credit from them yet either. I am looking forward to seeing what other peoples experiences have been.

I use TCB all the time. Posts within an hour each GC purchase. Never an issue.

Now-back to my ?. Will we see better then +10% in September???? Thoughts?

mooper Sep 2, 2012 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 (Post 19241180)
I use TCB all the time. Posts within an hour each GC purchase. Never an issue.

Now-back to my ?. Will we see better then +10% in September???? Thoughts?

Past years have sometimes seen offers better than 10% if you value miles/points at more than 1 CPM, however, I can't recall a time when cash back exceeded 6.5%. Stacking the 10% bonus with 6.5% cash back is hard to beat, and while I wouldn't be shocked if a better opportunity comes along, I wouldn't bet on it. Maybe you should consider hedging a bit... pick up half of the amount needed now, hope for a holiday promo to pick up the rest later?