Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 30, 20, 12:48 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki Link
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

Current cash back for Marriott.com: (Last updated July-2020)

While supplies last, until Friday, July 24, 2020, select Marriott eGiftCards are available at a 15% discount.
  • $50 gift card for $42.50
  • $100 gift card for $85
  • $250 gift card for $212.50
  • $500 gift card for $425
  • $1,000 gift card for $850
You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Current portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. Itís the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 1, 13, 10:06 pm

Would a hotel reverse the charge on your credit card and take your Marriott gift card after you have checked out and gone home? I did not bring my gift card with me to the hotel.
Old Aug 1, 13, 10:52 pm

New Southwest Promotion available here:
https://gifts.marriott.com/southwest

Hi Rapid Rewards Member!

Ready for more Points? With this exclusive offer for Marriott GiftCards, you can get more, faster.

Starting August 1 through September 26, 2013, it’s easy to earn up to 12,000 Rapid Rewards Points*, simply by purchasing a Marriott GiftCard!

$100 = 1,200 Rapid Reward Points
$250 = 3,000 Rapid Rewards Points
$500 = 6,000 Rapid Rewards Points
Think sun-kissed beaches and cool pools. Think big cities and countryside manors. Think glistening golf courses and soothing spas. Experience all that you can do with a Marriott GiftCard.

With over 3,800 properties worldwide, there is sure to be a Marriott branded property anywhere Southwest and your Rapid Rewards Points take you.

Your Points are waiting!

*Maximum of 12,000 Rapid Rewards points per member per offer period. See complete offer Terms & Conditions for more information.
Old Aug 2, 13, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:Lifetime Plat DL:Lifetime Silver UA:1P MAR:Lifetime Tit
Originally Posted by Ducati View Post
Would a hotel reverse the charge on your credit card and take your Marriott gift card after you have checked out and gone home? I did not bring my gift card with me to the hotel.
If someone could fax/email a scan of the card to them, you might be able to do it that way (I have), but it's more challenging after the fact. Can't hurt to try - I've had it work post-checkout as well.

Originally Posted by uclagee View Post
Thanks for the heads up. OP is updated with the new mileage offers for Gift Cards. As I suspected, it looks like all the airline offers are going live again. I won't be surprised if Delta and/or USAirways go live again soon, too.
Old Aug 2, 13, 9:26 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
I have tried it once. The hotel charged me in advance even though I stayed on LNF rate. Then I wrote to corp to complain and they charged my GC and refunded my CC. The most annoying thing is that I have to pay forex on my CC because of that
Old Aug 2, 13, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by mooper View Post
If someone could fax/email a scan of the card to them, you might be able to do it that way (I have), but it's more challenging after the fact. Can't hurt to try - I've had it work post-checkout as well.
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
I have tried it once. The hotel charged me in advance even though I stayed on LNF rate. Then I wrote to corp to complain and they charged my GC and refunded my CC. The most annoying thing is that I have to pay forex on my CC because of that
Thank you. The hotel wants me to mail the cards to them because it needs to be swiped. I guess that's better than saying no.

EDIT
Now they are saying that I can just give the numbers over the phone. lol. Woohoo!

Last edited by Ducati; Aug 2, 13 at 11:20 am Reason: over the phone
Old Aug 2, 13, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Thank you. The hotel wants me to mail the cards to them because it needs to be swiped. I guess that's better than saying no.
They might prefer to swipe, but I'm pretty sure they can manually enter if willing. In any case, a good result for you, so congrats.
Old Aug 2, 13, 11:20 am

They might prefer to swipe, but I'm pretty sure they can manually enter if willing. In any case, a good result for you, so congrats.
You're right. Now they are saying that I can just give the numbers over the phone. lol. Woohoo!
Old Aug 5, 13, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by uclagee View Post

Hi Rapid Rewards Member!

Ready for more Points? With this exclusive offer for Marriott GiftCards, you can get more, faster.

Starting August 1 through September 26, 2013, itís easy to earn up to 12,000 Rapid Rewards Points*, simply by purchasing a Marriott GiftCard!

$100 = 1,200 Rapid Reward Points
$250 = 3,000 Rapid Rewards Points
$500 = 6,000 Rapid Rewards Points
Think sun-kissed beaches and cool pools. Think big cities and countryside manors. Think glistening golf courses and soothing spas. Experience all that you can do with a Marriott GiftCard.

With over 3,800 properties worldwide, there is sure to be a Marriott branded property anywhere Southwest and your Rapid Rewards Points take you.

Your Points are waiting!

*Maximum of 12,000 Rapid Rewards points per member per offer period. See complete offer Terms & Conditions for more information.
Are those rapid rewards points qualify for Companion Pass?
what is the expariation date for the Marriott gift card? Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 13, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjfly View Post
What is the expariation date for the Marriott gift card? Thanks!
Many years out, and even if it were to reach expiration, you can extend free. They essentially don't expire.

Also, consider that the funds loaded to the card don't appreciate over time, so you're losing the time value of the money. Therefore, it wouldn't make sense to load a card to the extent that you might not spend it for a few years. Even a 10%-20% bonus (or equivalent) wouldn't justify that, as it would be negated by the erosion in purchasing power over time.
Old Aug 7, 13, 10:26 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Earn up to 7,500 award miles when you purchase Marriott GiftCards.

Just received a promo email from UA.
The T&C says: GiftCards purchased with this promotion are not eligible to earn Marriott Rewards points.

Ive seen this before on other GC as well - do i understand it correctly that I will not earn MR points if I pay with this GC? What about elite nights?

thanks!
Old Aug 7, 13, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsauch View Post
Just received a promo email from UA.
The T&C says: GiftCards purchased with this promotion are not eligible to earn Marriott Rewards points.

Ive seen this before on other GC as well - do i understand it correctly that I will not earn MR points if I pay with this GC? What about elite nights?

thanks!
You'll earn points and nights for any stay booked via Marriott.com regardless of how you pay, including with a GC.

The terms might be referring to the fact that you don't earn 10 points (or up to 15 if you have status) per dollar as you do with hotel spending. This is true of all GCs. You can, however, still earn 5 MRPs/$ if you purchase using the Chase Marriott branded credit card.
Old Aug 14, 13, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, Marriott Titanium
Can I get cash back if I book at marriott.com via cashback site and pay by giftcard?
Old Aug 14, 13, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gokeeper View Post
Can I get cash back if I book at marriott.com via cashback site and pay by giftcard?
Yes. Method of payment has no impact.
Old Aug 14, 13, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, Marriott Titanium
Yes. Method of payment has no impact.
So now the best deal I can get is buy GF with 10% bonus + 3% cashback + 4 stay get 2 certificate mega bonus? Any other potential saving?

I am planning winter family vacation to FL, just got Marriott Gold from UA and want to give it a try.

Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 13, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by nacho View Post
so if its a LNF rate, the hotel shouldnt charge in advance? I had booked a nonrefundable rate and was approved for LNF. But the hotel still charged me in advance, can I get them to reverse the charge and pay with my gift card?

Search this Thread