Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:21 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Is gifts.marriott.com resolving? Kept getting redirect to https://wwws-usa2.givex.com/cws4.0/marriottcons/, which I think is probably the legit third party site but don't want to login/buy until they get it back. It's been almost a week now.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
My bookmarked site for checking the givex gift card balances is https://cws.givex.com/cws4.0/marriot...age-cards.html

so your link is probably legit too.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 3:18 pm

Not sure if this belongs here. Are there specific or predictable times when marriot gives bonuses on point purchases? I saw they just had some bonus at end of March where they added up to an additional 20K points I think, but now its gone. just wondering if this is a regular occurance or just something that pops up out of the blue?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In 3 Gift Card usages this March, 2 properties used the computer entry method, 1 property simply swiped my gift card (bought from a local Ren in 2019). Interesting to see some properties can swipe physical cards but some cannot.

On another note, has anyone used Gift Card in Jordan and also Egypt properties?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
RTM has 6% right now with the usual $50 max. Sadly, this is a pretty good deal these days
Old May 2, 2022, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TCB @ 6% WW
reggiekush likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
Originally Posted by cfischer
TCB @ 6% WW
I saw yesterday that TCB had a timer (3 hours remaining at the time) when it was its base of 3%. Perhaps the timer now gives an indication of an upcoming boost to cashback, which would be nice.
cfischer likes this.
Old May 15, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
Just a heads up that TCB.com is showing the 3% cashback ending in 19 hours. I noticed that last time before it jumped to 6%, the base 3% was showing as ending soon. So if you have any bookings perhaps wait for 19 more hours for a potential cb boost.
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 8:29 am

TCB.com at 6% worldwide. Nice to see that they have reduced the regional buttons and have just one for all MB stays. Also nice that they now seem to give 24 hours warning when they will be bumping up cashback.
Old May 22, 2022, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TCB at 7% (!) Today only
Old Jun 8, 2022, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
TCB at 7% (!) Today only
TCB doesn't give cash back to AAA rates.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 11, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
TCB doesn't give cash back to AAA rates.
no cashback on any non-commissionable rate, including any corporate rates
Old Jun 11, 2022, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no cashback on any non-commissionable rate, including any corporate rates
AAA is commissionable, and I used to get cashback through TCB with AAA rate. This is new to me.

"Rate Details
AAA CAA Rate, membership card required
Additional Information
Commissionable Rate
- Available to AAA and CAA members only.
- Limit of two rooms per member per night.
- Membership card required.
Holding Your Reservation
We will need a credit card number to reserve your room.
Cancelling Your Reservation
You may cancel your reservation for no charge before 11:59 PM local hotel time on June 8, 2022 (3 day[s] before arrival).
Please note that we will assess a fee of 757.88 USD if you must cancel after this deadline.
When You Check-in
Please be prepared to show proof of eligibility for your rate (such as a membership card, corporate or government identification card, or proof of your age).
Modifying Your Reservation
Please note that a change in the length or dates of your reservation may result in a rate change."
Old Jun 11, 2022, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
AAA is commissionable, and I used to get cashback through TCB with AAA rate. This is new to me.

"Rate Details
AAA CAA Rate, membership card required
Additional Information
Commissionable Rate
- Available to AAA and CAA members only.
- Limit of two rooms per member per night.
- Membership card required.
Holding Your Reservation
We will need a credit card number to reserve your room.
Cancelling Your Reservation
You may cancel your reservation for no charge before 11:59 PM local hotel time on June 8, 2022 (3 day before arrival).
Please note that we will assess a fee of 757.88 USD if you must cancel after this deadline.
When You Check-in
Please be prepared to show proof of eligibility for your rate (such as a membership card, corporate or government identification card, or proof of your age).
Modifying Your Reservation
Please note that a change in the length or dates of your reservation may result in a rate change."

I have always gotten cashback as long as the rate said 'commissionable'. They have had some of that language for a while. Would not assume this result in an issue because TCB will get paid.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[/s]

I have always gotten cashback as long as the rate said 'commissionable'. They have had some of that language for a while. Would not assume this result in an issue because TCB will get paid.
The problem is that if TCB's terms said AAA no cashback, and if there's no cashback shows up, basically they can say "according to the terms, AAA rates don't get cashback" and deny the claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.