Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by RedSun
I'm counting to see how much money I can make from stock investing, instead of investing in Marriott GC. At least it is doing fine today. Even the oil company stocks.

If Hyatt sells GC at 20%, I may be interested to buy a little. I really need to spend all my Marriott FNs and TPs before I can do anything. Also another set of FNs are coming my way this year.
I intend to do a challenge to Hyatt Globalists later this year. However, I dont think I will stock up on Hyatt gift card. There are two reasons.
1) they dont accept at hotel that I intend to stay (it is not globa)
2) Hyatt promotion is tied into WOH credit card. so paying via gift card would lose the promotion points. (the last one is 1500 points per stay over a stay including a weekend night)
Old May 18, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by EdV
Thank you SPN for pointing that out - I went back 1 page but not two to 119 or I would have seen. My bad! Now that I see the list of Cons presented I don't really consider them Cons to me. Sounds to me like the Pros outweighed the Cons (in my case). But good to know that full points and stays still earned for GCs. I'll keep that in mind going forward.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. I pretty much only stay at Marriott brand hotels all the time. When I don't I'm at friend's houses or AirBnBs
2. GCs are prepaid funds. Right so not earning interest you're saying with this one. In this market hard to find something that's going to be at even 10% ROI if takes 2 years to use these
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). Physical ones are not protected sure, just like any GC. Digital ones you get a receipt for and can track that way. Yes they can get hacked but can say that for almost anything. A concern but very small
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. The list of hotels that does not take them (at least what I read from Marriott directly is small compared to the amount that do. Is there a larger list than what is published?
5. GCs have limitation. Yes, this is a valid concern for people - good to point this out. I never book pre-paid rates so not an issue for me but I can see a problem for people.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Yep, another concern for sure as overseas locations charging you USD at checkout are also happily charging you a hefty fee at PoS to do so. I'd just purchase knowing that I wouldn' tbe using them overseas.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. Not a concern in my opinion - what GCs can you buy where you can redeem for cash as opposed to the original intent of the GC?

The list of cons is laughable. Full of assumptions and statements that do not really say anything.

“GCs cannot redeemed for cash”. No they cannot. They are used to pay for hotel stays with a discount. What’s the use of cash if not exchanging for something in return?

“GCs are in USD only”- any GC, or CASH, is in ONE CURRENCY only. What kind of argument is this? Show me one freaking cash that’s dual currency enabled.

“GC have limitations”. Yup. Such is anything in life.

”GC values are not protected”. As long as Marriott is not bankrupt, the GCs have face value equivalent to cash. Currency can devalue too, by the way.

”GCs are not accepted at all hotels”. This is like saying “Marriott GCs are not accepted by the airlines”. There is only a finite list of hotels that will take the GCs. The list is quite large, and more than enough for most. Wanna stay at Ritz Club? You don’t need the discount.

”GCs are prepaid fund”. Yes. So?... cash are prepaid too! You get paid with cash (digital or physical) and then use them at a date in future after you get them! See the analogy here? GCs have to take a form. It’s a prepaid card. The postpaid fund is called credit card.

”Commit to a single brand Marriott”. Yeah ok Marriott has like 20 or 30 brands. Don’t like any of them? Don’t stay at any.

This list of “con” is just... garbage.
SkyElite likes this.

Last edited by theOtherHolmes; May 18, 2020 at 11:08 am
Old May 18, 2020, 11:09 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by EdV
Sorry for the noob question here but what is the con to using GCs that I'm not seeing? They're another form of payment at checkout for stays right? Does one still earn full points and earned nights for the stay when using GCs?
You cannot use them for some special rates (e.g., prepaid or ones that require the use of a specific payment method like the Ritz Upgrade Certificates)
Old May 18, 2020, 12:03 pm

Does anyone know if you can consolidate multiple GCs into one? I know you can use multiple cards but it is more convenient to just track one GC.
Old May 18, 2020, 12:37 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by NDN
You cannot use them for some special rates (e.g., prepaid or ones that require the use of a specific payment method like the Ritz Upgrade Certificates)
Some would argue that, that situation never comes to them. Never, ever.
Old May 18, 2020, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by guear
Does anyone know if you can consolidate multiple GCs into one? I know you can use multiple cards but it is more convenient to just track one GC.
Sorry, this is another con of buying GCs. After you purchased the GCs, they are final. There may be some conditions that we can cancel those GCs. But they can't be changed, exchanged, altered or combined. The GCs are never like real money that you can do whatever you want.
Old May 18, 2020, 12:58 pm

Sorry, this is another con of buying GCs. After you purchased the GCs, they are final. There may be some conditions that we can cancel those GCs. But they can't be changed, exchanged, altered or combined. The GCs are never like real money that you can do whatever you want.
But then you cannot combine two credit cards into one! How awful. You cannot track JUST ONE credit card for ALL spendings on multiple cards (gasp).

You also can't just move points from Amex to Chase -- what a horrible limitation of these credit card programs! Let's not use any credit card, CASH IS KING.

I am the smartest, most brilliant mind in the whole room. I can say whatever I want, especially straw man arguments (*deadpan*)
Old May 18, 2020, 1:01 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
I'm sorry but how is this a Con for GCs that they can't be combined into one GC? Nothing says you can't use 2 or more different GCs on the same purchase? I've done it many times myself, especially when I have money left over on one GC and want to use another one. It's no different than splitting a folio stay, spa service or restaurant bill onto multiple credit cards.
Old May 18, 2020, 1:08 pm
Suspended

No, I do not need to do all the GC gimmicks. I can choose to use Chase CSR and Ritz Carlton, City TY, AmEx Brilliant, or any card I like to use. Sometimes credit card offers point promotions to earn more points. Also AmEx (AmEx offers) is known to offer hotel promotions from time to time, often as attractive as 20% discount.

A lot people cash out Chase CSR, City TY and AmEx MR points at their portals. They are hard currencies that are as good as cash. They can be used to book car rentals, tour trips. Not just limited to a single Marriott brand. Sure I can combine all Chase, AmEx and Citi. Points are really cheap and easy to earn.

I'm sure there are more into this...
Old May 18, 2020, 1:18 pm
EdV

No, I do not need to do all the GC gimmicks. I can choose to use Chase CSR and Ritz Carlton, City TY, AmEx Brilliant, or any card I like to use. Sometimes credit card offers point promotions to earn more points. Also AmEx (AmEx offers) is known to offer hotel promotions from time to time, often as attractive as 20% discount.

A lot people cash out Chase CSR, City TY and AmEx MR points at their portals. They are hard currencies that are as good as cash. They can be used to book car rentals, tour trips. Not just limited to a single Marriott brand. Sure I can combine all Chase, AmEx and Citi. Points are really cheap and easy to earn.

I'm sure there are more into this...
Oh I get ya, good points all around indeed. However, I wouldn't call them GC gimmicks though as they are a hard discount on money if you know you're going to use that money at one of their locations. To each their own but I don't see the Cons as hard as you do and I'm sure there are more into the GCs just as much into your methods. All good stuff though and thanks for sharing!
Old May 18, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
you didn’t read the FAQ of the gift cards it seem.

“Q. How do I cancel my GiftCard purchase?
A. Orders placed online at gifts.marriott.com can be refunded up to 60 days from purchase as long as the GiftCard has it full value. If GiftCard has been shipped, please note the shipping cost will not be refunded. To cancel the order, please call 1-801-468-4167 or email [email protected]. Allow 2 to 3 business days for email cancelations. For hotel cancelations you will need to contact the hotel where the GiftCard was purchased.”
———-
I made a purchase on my AmEx green, 3x MR on travel, but noticed while it was still pending it coded as Marriott Gift card and knowing how AmEx is about gift cards in bonus categories, I called, gift.com, and was issued a refund. AmEx issued and likely will claw back the 3x points.

so with a 60 day refund policy it makes these pretty much risk free in the short term.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ripley62
you didn’t read the FAQ of the gift cards it seem.

“Q. How do I cancel my GiftCard purchase?
A. Orders placed online at gifts.marriott.com can be refunded up to 60 days from purchase as long as the GiftCard has it full value. If GiftCard has been shipped, please note the shipping cost will not be refunded. To cancel the order, please call 1-801-468-4167 or email [email protected]. Allow 2 to 3 business days for email cancelations. For hotel cancelations you will need to contact the hotel where the GiftCard was purchased.”
———-
I made a purchase on my AmEx green, 3x MR on travel, but noticed while it was still pending it coded as Marriott Gift card and knowing how AmEx is about gift cards in bonus categories, I called, gift.com, and was issued a refund. AmEx issued and likely will claw back the 3x points.

so with a 60 day refund policy it makes these pretty much risk free in the short term.
I clearly stated you could, under some special situations.... Pls read more.
Old May 18, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by EdV
Oh I get ya, good points all around indeed. However, I wouldn't call them GC gimmicks though as they are a hard discount on money if you know you're going to use that money at one of their locations. To each their own but I don't see the Cons as hard as you do and I'm sure there are more into the GCs just as much into your methods. All good stuff though and thanks for sharing!
Guy is pretty locked into his idea of how bad the GCs are just because.

He finds using GCs hard. So..... that tells you how smart he is.
EdV likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
I clearly stated you could, under some special situations.... Pls read more.
Not to be pedantic but considering your arguments up thread.
That's not 'special situation' needed for a refund.
Its clearly a 60 day unrestricted refund policy
EdV and theOtherHolmes like this.
Old May 18, 2020, 4:39 pm
EdV

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Guy is pretty locked into his idea of how bad the GCs are just because.

He finds using GCs hard. So..... that tells you how smart he is.
Spot on Holmes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.