FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/136153-singapore-marriott-tang-plaza-hotel-orchard-road-master-thread.html)

leroy11 Feb 14, 2000 8:11 pm

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread]

Anyone have any comments about this property. I'll be flying into SIN and I'm considering this Marriott or the Hyatt in nearby Johor Bahru (a LOT cheaper) before heading up to Malika, Malaysia.

Any advice??

------------------
Cheers.

Leo.

Rudi Feb 14, 2000 11:46 pm

I have been twice in 99 at this Marriott, It is a very nice, even luxury place (and very convenient, right at the Underground station). But the Hyatt next place, SinFlyer did join me for drinks, dinner and a cigar there, is (lobby, Restaurant presentation) way above! (I can't judge the Hyatt rooms).

leroy11 Feb 15, 2000 7:29 am

Thanks Rudi. I'll stay for a night at the Marriott in SIN. Then stay for a night at the Hyatt in Johor Bahru.

UpInTheAir Feb 15, 2000 7:40 pm

This Marriott is a very nice property, even though it has lost some of its Chinese character since Marriott took over. The rooms are tastefully furnished but tall guests may not like the bathrooms.

FlyMan Sep 3, 2002 11:16 am

Free Weekend - Marriott Singapore

I just stayed there using W14 certs - Friday & Saturday. I was upgraded to Executive Room on the 26th floor. A small gift (some chopstick set), a fruit plate, and two bottles of water were delivered to the room. The Executive Club was very nice - they serve buffet breakfast on 6;30-10:30 and cocktail hour on 5:30-7:30. Great location...hard to believe it's only category 4 property...

webnut Sep 3, 2002 1:11 pm

Plan to stay there in late September. I'm glad to learn about it's favorable report. Thanks for sharing your experience there.

Spencerism Oct 4, 2002 11:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by webnut:
Plan to stay there in late September. I'm glad to learn about it's favorable report. Thanks for sharing your experience there.</font>
I am using my W14 in Singapore late Dec. I am wondering if they'll give an upgrade. Please post and let us know how your stay went.

PaulMCO Oct 16, 2002 8:24 am

The only problem with the Singapore Marriott is the size of the rooms are extremely small by US hotel standards. Staff is OK and restaurant is medicore by Sing standards.
The hotel was built by the Tang family (Tangs Department Store is located next door) and I think they still own it and Marriott runs the hotel property.

Only reason to stay at the hotel is Loyalty (my reason) or a Free room, since there are so many better hotels in Singapore like --

The Shangri-la
Grand Hyatt
Sheraton Towers

All in the same Orchard/Scotts Road Area.

------------------
Paul Mayo
United 1K/MM, Marriott Plat
Hilton Gold

Paloa Dec 18, 2002 9:42 am

Elevator maintenance Singapore Marriott

The Singapore Marriott is in the process of upgrading their elevators. While I expect that will be a good thing in the long run it is a considerable inconvenience during the upgrade period. My room was on the 30th floor and the wait for an elevator ranged from 8-20 minutes. In addition it appears they have turned off the coordination between the working elevators so a trip would stop at many floors to pick up phantom guests. (Maybe the guest just gave up and took the stairs)

I was told they expect the elevators to all be upgraded by the beginning of the second quarter of next year. (Scheduled 6 weeks of downtime per elevator.)

I suggest you ask for a low floor if you have to stay at this hotel.

edsh Dec 18, 2002 11:36 am

Slow progress! Elevator outages and repairs were occuring at this property as early as last April and May. Breakfast in the Concierge Lounge was an ordeal as elevators stopped on each floor on the way down to the lobby.

roadshow Aug 19, 2003 1:08 pm

marriott singapore info please

I'm staying at the Marriott in Singapore next week. I have no status as I don't normally stay with this chain. I was trying for the Hilton or Conrad on priceline and got the Marriott, you spins the wheel and takes your chances, anyway any info (good, bad or ugly) about this place would be much appreciated. I tried a search with noy much luck. Thank-you Roadshow

tcook052 Aug 19, 2003 4:43 pm

I've stayed a few times at this Marriott and very much enjoyed it every time. The location is superb as its right on Orchard Road, the main shopping avenue in the city state. The pool was a memorably quiet oasis while the rooms are in a tall, pagoda looking tower and so offer decent views. This isn't quite the view I had recently from the 23rd floor at Conrad SIN of the skyline, but the Marriott isn't bad. The prices for meals on site are predictably high but the availability of choices nearby really helps. The staff, like elsewhere in Asia, were quietly friendly and efficient.

All in all, you can probably tell I'm a fan of this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to friends/family as a quality hotels with lots to offer.

roadshow Aug 20, 2003 5:16 pm

thank you tcook, I'm traveling alone so it sounds fine. just wanted to know of any problems, pittfalls ect. seems as though most stay at other properties (like the conrad) good to know it's in a central location. wonder what the chances are for an upgrade with no status? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

SpuddBrother Aug 20, 2003 10:27 pm

Rooms: B- (small, refurb many times -- note that this isn't a JW)
Elevators: D (Old, old, old)
Shopping: A+
Restaurants: A+
Transportation: A (perched above a subway stop)
Service: A-
Minibar: D- (the highest prices of any MC I've ever seen)

Jamoldo Aug 22, 2003 10:30 am

I am also staying at the Marriot and I got it via priceline. any more info on it? I know it is next to the superb Hyatt, where I have stayed. My flight gets in at 635 am and it says check in is at 1pm. Should i just go early or call ahead first? thank you