Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:18 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
I have no problem getting them to bill me in $Sing.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 11:15 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
MR SIN is a good outfit. I don't think they would run any scams. As said by previous poster, they would be happy to bill you in SIN$. (of course at that point you need to know the then exch rate and verify what they offer you)

If you pay by credit card, I think it is your card company that converts and sets rates.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 12:54 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Exclamation

Originally Posted by allset2travel
If you pay by credit card, I think it is your card company that converts and sets rates.

DCC is a new trend for some merchants &or their banks to convert the charges into each cardmember's home currency. It's usually a bad deal because the commission or differential from mid-market is >= 4%. I was offered it at 2 Marriotts in Australia where it was the same 8% differential at which the hotels accepted cash banknotes & so I refused it.

Worst of all, some CCs, such as Chase, charge their cardmembers 3% fee on foreign transactions even when done in USD, so one pays twice!
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:11 am

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
I'm here again this week. Got a nice renovated room on the 15th floor. They are now constructing a new building directly across Orchard road on top of the Orchard MRT station. My last cab driver told me it will be 50 storys tall (Marriott is 30). The 1st 9 floors will be another shopping mall and the rest will be apartments. Completion date is December, 2008 and they are working on it 24 hours. The noise woke me up at 4 AM today.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by NWA-PLAT
Completion date is December, 2008 and they are working on it 24 hours. The noise woke me up at 4 AM today.
Assuming you're being literal here, don't hesitate to call the Environment Ministry
(1800-CALL NEA), because that's illegal in Singapore -- no noisy construction work of any kind is permitted between 10 PM and 7 AM. Here's the rules:

http://app.mewr.gov.sg/press.asp?id=SAS748

FYI, the site is "Orchard Ion" and yes, it's going to be the tallest building on Orchard by a long shot when complete.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 1:24 pm

It's 3:26 AM and I can still hear them banging away!
Old Nov 1, 2007, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton HHonors
Marriott Singapore

I have an up coming trip to Singapore in November and I am booked at the Marriott in Singapore.

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences and what to expect as a Gold member, if anything.

Thanks,
Old Nov 1, 2007, 10:13 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I've stayed there as a Plat and a Gold before. If I was upgraded at all, it must have been to some type of a "view" room as the room wasn't all that large, but in none of my stays have I asked for a room upgrade. So if you want one, it might help to ask for it. The CL has a very nice view and good food, though it can get crowded at times and it was open on weekends as well. The hotel location is probably its biggest plus.

Overall, I didn't have any issues with my stays. If you are really looking to be pampered and an awesome room, try the RC in Singapore. I have stayed there as well and the room was fabulous.

Try the Singapore Marriott on Orchard Road thread to find more info. I know the thread was started quite a few years ago, but the later posts are more recent.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton HHonors
Thanks for the Post.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 9:10 am

It's a nice hotel, but the rates are ridiculous. They have been steadily increasing over the past few years. I have to go to SIN at the end of the month and got the Fullerton for less. To be fair, I prefer the Boat/Clark Quay location over Orchard Road. Better restaurants and taxis are a bit easier to come by.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 3:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT PLT, SPG PLT
I'm posting this message from the 16th floor right now - I definitely don't recall hearing any late night/early AM construction in any of my several stays this year.

Prices are getting absurd - GST/Service charge alone is S$70/night, add that to the S$440/night regular rate and you are looking at $350US for a mediocre Category 5 Marriott.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by cltcc
I have an up coming trip to Singapore in November and I am booked at the Marriott in Singapore.

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences and what to expect as a Gold member, if anything.

Thanks,
I stayed there a few years ago. Exercise room was available 24 hours with room key - handy since I was on a 12 hour time difference! The concierge lounge was amazing. Great food, plenty of it, and great service. I can't go to a CL in the states anymore - just can't tolerate the deep fried crap they serve up.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*
I'm staying at this property now and have stayed for ~27 nights this year.

They will likely upgrade you to one of the exec floors if you are gold. It gives you lounge access and one free shirt pressing during your stay. That's pretty much all you should expect. The rooms are not any bigger than on other floors.

As everyone says, the location right on Orchard Road is excellent. I have a great view right down Orchard Road. It'll be even better when they turn on all of the Christmas lights that are now up.

CL food is good, staff is friendly, but it can get quite busy (with no place to sit) around 6pm. Better to go early (~5:30) or later (~7).

High speed internet access in rooms is, more accurately, moderate speed.

Staff is very friendly and anxious to help.

Exercise room is quite nice and I've never seen more than 3 other people in there. They also have a small basketball court outside, if you fancy shooting some hoops in 100% humidity.

My biggest complaint is that it can take several minutes to get an elevator. I used to take the stairs most of the time, but sometime in the past two months, they removed the door handles from many of the doors in the staircases, so if you find yourself in the staircase, you can't get out. I learned this the hard way.

Oh yeah, food: room service food was quite good and delivery was fast (<15min). I found the buffet in the lobby to be underwhelming and absurdly overpriced. The lounge is probably the best bet for a quick, tasty, free bite to eat.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:44 pm
Community Director Emerita

Welcome to FlyerTalk, ni_ca. It's great to have you sharing information with us.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 6:02 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Originally Posted by ni_ca

They will likely upgrade you to one of the exec floors if you are gold. It gives you lounge access and one free shirt pressing during your stay. That's pretty much all you should expect. The rooms are not any bigger than on other floors.
I realize the OP is Gold, but since as a Platinum one is guaranteed a lounge access, I have given up on this property with their awfully high rates. There is zero upgrade in terms of room from regular to exec. And now even the only decent exec rooms have been labeled "Premier Room". Try for an upgrade to those, it's like pulling teeth.

Lounge is poor compared to nearby Marriotts like JW JKT/BKK/HKG. And yes, no seats to be found and tiny, awful tables/seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.