Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2006, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM, UA MM 1K, MR Titanium Lifetime
Definitely the Marriott in Singapore. I was just there in March this year. The Marriott is right in the center of the main drag, Orchard Road.
The Hilton is about may be 200 yards from the Marriott, but the subway station is right outside the Marriott. This is important for a climate like Singapore where it is hot and humid and afternoon down pours are always a possibility. All the major shopping malls are also connected via the subway entrance.
Did I mention the concierge lounge at the Marriott? Quality of food and service is probably one of the best.
Hope that helps and enjoy your visit.
Old May 16, 2006, 7:41 am

Both are kind of blah by Singapore standards, although in my book too the Marriott just edges out the Hilton. However, for the two companies you mention, Conrad Centennial is the best property by far.
Old May 16, 2006, 9:43 am

I always stay at the Swissotel. Its directly above the main MRT station, decent restaraunts at Chijmes across the street and awesome views from your 30th+ floor balcony. If you like prostitues though, the Marriott has plenty in the bar.
Old May 16, 2006, 10:59 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
The Marriott rates are outrageous - SGD 320 even during the weekend whilst I could get the Ritz Carlton Millenia for SGD 290 or Four Seasons for 260. Give me a break.

It's not exactly a dump, but the older rooms leave a lot to be desired, Platinum recognition is poor beyond the basics like non-renovated exec floor room. For any other upgrade, even renovated exec floor room (very nice), I always have to argue. Lounge is decent if you can find a seat - it kind of reminds me of LH Business Lounges at FRA with standing room only.

If you can get this via Priceline for about USD 100, it's not too bad. But it's no JW Marriott Bangkok/Jakarta/Hong Kong or even Surabaya.

Having said that, the Hilton isn't that good either.

I prefer the RC, Raffles the Plaza or the Swissotel Stamford but points and possible upgrades drive me to the Marriott every time.
Old May 16, 2006, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
The Marriott is a fine property. Right on top of the Orchard Road MRT station. Very clean and modern rooms, albeit small due to the to the shape of the building. The bar in the basement -- Bar None -- is also quite good and hotel guests don't have to pay the cover charge.

I would save some money and use Priceline to get it even if it means sacrificing the points.
Old May 16, 2006, 5:55 pm

Programs: NON ELITE
I don't like Marriott Singapore

I stayed at Marriott Singapore last year....small/tired room, no upgrade for me (plat), small lounge, insuffiecient lounge staff (in the evening, you are supposed to wait for the staff to bring you the drink, but they are so short of staff that the wait could be quite long.) Porters asked for mandatory tips (a real turn-off for me).
It is located on a very busy/noisy corner of two main streets, and on the exit of the subway, so the hotel lobby and common areas are always crowded and noisy.
Old May 29, 2006, 4:19 am

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Unhappy Singapore Marriott - Fire alarm in the middle of the night

I flew in late last night into Singapore. Took a taxi and checked into Singapore Marriott around 1:00 AM - just as i closed my eyes and fell a sleep, nex thing I know the alarm is going off and someone is on the speaker talking about fire alarm. The alarm clock said 2:45 AM - around 3:00 AM another alarm and then the same voice came on the speaker and said it was false alarm. Needless to say, I could not go back to bed after that.

Has anyone else has had this sort of experience? Please share what did the hotel do for you in this sort of case.

I have already checked out and am on my way to my next stop. It just bugs me that after 18 hours of flight, I am paying alomst USD$2509 and cannot get rest.

Thanks
Old May 29, 2006, 6:37 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Over the years of my travels, I have thankfully not had the firealarms go off very often, but it has happened on occasion. Though I have stayed at the Singapore Marriott 4 or 5 different times, I have never had the firealarm go off on me, so I don't think this is a normal occurance there.

Since I prefer to sleep at a hotel that has a firealarm, I have never asked for any type of "compensation" on those few occasions where it did go off. I did receive one night free at a Hampton Inn once, but that was because there was a problem with the alarm and it went off 3 or 4 times through-out the night. The hotel didn't charge anyone for that night and they sent an apology letter out.

I guess if the hotel had planned to run a test at 2:45am in the morning and hadn't let me know that, I would be preturbed, but I doubt that was the case. What I would suggest is to talk with the front desk attendant and find out what really caused the alarm to go off (assuming that they know.) And if it is something that could happen again (faulty system, etc.) But if it was pulled by someone or if there was a storm that caused the alarm to go off, I'm not sure you can hold the hotel at fault.

But as always, if you feel strongly enough about this, ask to talk with the manager and see what s/he can do about it. They may feel like you have a valid concern and comp you with some points or breakfast.

[Edited to Add:] I hope that the price you paid for the room was not the $2509 you listed. While I like this Marriott, I think you could have found a better rate.
Old May 29, 2006, 10:53 am
Community Director Emerita

I agree with the prior poster. While I would hate to be pulled from a deep sleep in the middle of the night, better that than risking sleeping thru a fire. I wouldn't expect anything of the hotel.
Old May 29, 2006, 6:17 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
I've had this happen to me on at least 3 different stays at the Marriott Breadsall Priory in England. Even though I'm a Marriott slave, I now stay at a non-Marriott property about a mile down the road.
Old May 29, 2006, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
My SOP is to get the night comped when the alarm goes off.
Old May 29, 2006, 8:03 pm

I was staying at The Marriott Buenos Aires and the fire alarm went off two nights in a row. Both around 2AM

Hotel gave me enough MR points for one free night.
Old May 29, 2006, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Only once. It happened at the Marriott NY Financial Center years ago. The fire alarm went off 3 times in the middle of the night. Each time it was false alarm. After the 2nd false alarm, I ignored the 3rd (before, we had to evacuate the room). Hotel staff apologised for the inconvenience. That's it.
Old May 30, 2006, 5:00 am

3am alarm at Marriott @Mcdowell Mountains PHX. Most guests evacuated, fire trucks arrived. Was due to a fault in a connection in some ducting. Letter of apology arrived within 30 minutes. Just glad system worked. Rather be tired than a statistic!

Exraf
Old May 30, 2006, 9:52 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
While staying in Scotland one December had a fire alarm and had to evacuate at 2AM into freezing (well below 32F) conditions. Very cold! The next morning at breakfast the manager came around to the tables to offer his apology, letting us know is was the result of a party that had a bit too much to drink pulling the alarm. While he was talking to us they had a small fire in the kitchen, and this cause another evacuation (no damage, but it was real this time).

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.