Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:54 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by qwest01
IMHO this is the No. 2 lounge in Marriotts across the world with Sydney Circular Quay being number 1.
OK, I can't let this slip by, but if your opinion has something to do with drink/wine offerings then perhaps that is true since I do not drink.

But from other perspectives, Singapore wins hands down IMO. Singapore 4 hot dishes (no soup) vs Sydney 2-3 hot dishes one of which was always soup, Singapore also 2 finger sandwiches (salmon and chicken salad), Singapore 6 desserts vs Sydney 2 desserts, Singapore 6 fruit choices (Bell fruit, grapes, water melon, pears, cantelope, and dragon fruit) plus 4 dried fruits vs Sydney fruit bowl with various whole fruits and also some dried fruit and nuts, both have cheese boards with grapes, Singapore bread board with 3 choices vs Sydney sliced baguette and rolls. And the final plus for Singapore, they offered eggs cooked to order, whereas Sydney did not.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Yes, there was free WiFi, but it is a moot point as WiFi is now free for all MR members at all Asia and Australia Marriott properties.
Actually that's not totally accurate. Free internet is available for all MR members at Asian properties. Quite often that means ethernet in the room & not necessarily wifi (true of all Marriott properties re: free internet options, not just Asia).

And the question re: free wifi or i-net terminals is so that people will know what's available in the lounge. Not all lounges have wifi or if they do, free wifi. And not everyone who travels travels w/ a laptop, hence wanting to know about the i-net terminals.

Cheers.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:44 am

Programs: DL gold, Marriott Platinum, UA silver
Just checked out of the Singapore Marriott. Fantastic stay! Great service. Even received a parting gift. As well as my welcome amenity!
The construction was not bad. If you are a late sleeper you may,may be bothered. I was at the Hilton across the street first and was happy with that. Then moved to the Marriott and it was so much better. Even with construction. The construction on Orchard and Scott was more annoying. But, that should be over soon according to the letter in the room.
The CL was great. Internet was quick.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:17 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Originally Posted by flsunshineflyer
Just checked out of the Singapore Marriott. Fantastic stay! Great service. Even received a parting gift. As well as my welcome amenity!
The construction was not bad. If you are a late sleeper you may,may be bothered. I was at the Hilton across the street first and was happy with that. Then moved to the Marriott and it was so much better. Even with construction. The construction on Orchard and Scott was more annoying. But, that should be over soon according to the letter in the room.
The CL was great. Internet was quick.
Thanks for the update. I'm checking in in early Jan 2012 so the info about the construction and renovations was very helpful.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Melville
Also, free breakfast in restaurant offered to Plats in lieu of CL if one has time to linger under the fans on the outdoor patio ... one of the best hotel breakfasts in my travels. The made to order fruit/veggie smoothies were a real treat. Service was top notch in both venues.
Is this still offered for plats? (breakfast in the restaurant instead of Lounge)
Im going to Singapore in Nov to visit my sister, but I have always heard Asia hotels are NICE!
So I was thinking of using my points for a night to experience it instead of staying with my sister.

How many people can eat in the restaurant? I will be staying with my wife.

Also, are they still giving out a bag as a parting gift?
Any pictures?

Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by sard
Is this still offered for plats? (breakfast in the restaurant instead of Lounge)
Im going to Singapore in Nov to visit my sister, but I have always heard Asia hotels are NICE!
So I was thinking of using my points for a night to experience it instead of staying with my sister.

How many people can eat in the restaurant? I will be staying with my wife.

Also, are they still giving out a bag as a parting gift?
Any pictures?

Thanks!
For my stay in early October, I was able to eat either in the Concierge Lounge or the Cafe on the second floor. They were just about to unveil the new lobby before I left on October 17th.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
I just stayed one night in the Singapore Marriott, and I gotta say I was underwhelmed. This used to be a fantastic property, and I'm sure it will be again; after they finish the refurbs. They stuck me in an old room, there were restrictions on where to go in several places and there was almost constant construction noise. The internet access was really spotty and slow, and they've kinda allowed their exercise facility to go downhill, too: several of the stationary bikes were malfunctioning.

Still a nice place and a comfy bed, but for the price, I won't be staying there again until the refurbs are done....
Old Nov 12, 2011, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
I just checked out of the Singapore Marriott too.

Staff lovely, and Executive lounge good, though very very busy, twice unable to get a seat in the evening cocktail hour, which is disappointing.

Renovations did cause noise during the day, and although the lobby is finished the Marriott Cafe is very underwhelming. Breakfast was offered to me in the Cafe or the lounge as a Platinum member. I also was given an old room which I have to say was tired and in need of TLC but still comfortable.

I was upset to find that for the SGD430 rate I was given was the same as I could have stayed at the St. Regis up the road, with a superb property and no renovation inconvenience.

The hotel seems full, so I am guessing they will continue to sell the high rates during the rest of renovation until people stop booking.

I hope that they will remember my loyalty during this period..... and next time offer me a better experience.

I have to say the lobby looks good and the pictures of the new rooms look good. Hope to experience them soon.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:54 pm

Recently stayed in one of the larger rooms on the 15th floor according to the floor plan. Looks like a longer entrance hallway and slightly larger bathroom (separate shower & bathtub), but the room itself is about the same.

IMG_7077

Also selected one of the better Platinum Amenities I've seen systemwide, a combination satay appetizer:

IMG_7079
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:54 am

ntamayo, I had the same room on the 16th floor.

A little noise during the day, but most of the daytime noise came from a loudspeaker outside that was not associated with the renovations (it was Sunday though so we will see tomorrow).

I have stayed at this hotel previously and I must say this lounge always blows me away. I had breakfast down in the Marriott Cafe. The breakfast buffet in the Marriott Cafe was substantial and provided a variety of ethnic options including American, European, Japanese, Chinese, Latin American (and probably a few others).

I can sum up evening lounge food offering in one word: Dinner.

First of all Singapore Marriott lounge is awesome. Anyone who doesn't think so, or takes it for granted should visit some US properties, or even Australian properties like Melbourne's small lounge and comparatively limited food offering. Sydney Harbour's lounge and offerings are very nice but still can't hold a candle to Singapore IMO (especially since Sydney's lounge remodel).

The menu theme tonight was Deutsch. Hot canapes included ham and sauerkraut balls, chicken schnitzel, veal and pork bratwurst, Hungarian goulash; There were 4 pre-made chilled salad choices, and if you didn't like one of those then there were three different choices of lettuce, salad garnish (croutons, onion, corn, bacon, etc) and choice of salad dressings. There was a nice cheese board with the choice of brie, cheddar, or Swiss. Dessert choices included chocolate moose, sacher torte, and three choices of ice cream (espresso, chocolate chip or mango). There was a nice selection of 6 different types of bread and rolls. Sliced fresh fruit (8 selections - watermelon, papaya, dragon, grapes, pineapple, strawberries, cantaloupe and a white fruit/melon I didn't recognize), dried fruit, nuts, tuna sandwiches, smoked salmon on toast, ham sandwiches, and probably a few things I missed. Absolutely incredible.

Alcohol served between 5:30 and 7:30 PM. Excellent coffees.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 2:41 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
ntamayo, I had the same room on the 16th floor.

A little noise during the day, but most of the daytime noise came from a loudspeaker outside that was not associated with the renovations (it was Sunday though so we will see tomorrow).

I have stayed at this hotel previously and I must say this lounge always blows me away. I had breakfast down in the Marriott Cafe. The breakfast buffet in the Marriott Cafe was substantial and provided a variety of ethnic options including American, European, Japanese, Chinese, Latin American (and probably a few others).

I can sum up evening lounge food offering in one word: Dinner.

First of all Singapore Marriott lounge is awesome. Anyone who doesn't think so, or takes it for granted should visit some US properties, or even Australian properties like Melbourne's small lounge and comparatively limited food offering. Sydney Harbour's lounge and offerings are very nice but still can't hold a candle to Singapore IMO (especially since Sydney's lounge remodel).

The menu theme tonight was Deutsch. Hot canapes included ham and sauerkraut balls, chicken schnitzel, veal and pork bratwurst, Hungarian goulash; There were 4 pre-made chilled salad choices, and if you didn't like one of those then there were three different choices of lettuce, salad garnish (croutons, onion, corn, bacon, etc) and choice of salad dressings. There was a nice cheese board with the choice of brie, cheddar, or Swiss. Dessert choices included chocolate moose, sacher torte, and three choices of ice cream (espresso, chocolate chip or mango). There was a nice selection of 6 different types of bread and rolls. Sliced fresh fruit (8 selections - watermelon, papaya, dragon, grapes, pineapple, strawberries, cantaloupe and a white fruit/melon I didn't recognize), dried fruit, nuts, tuna sandwiches, smoked salmon on toast, ham sandwiches, and probably a few things I missed. Absolutely incredible.

Alcohol served between 5:30 and 7:30 PM. Excellent coffees.
Fantastic -- been awhile since I have stayed there. Will be there in January using points.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:04 pm

FWIW, there was a bit more construction noise during Monday and Tuesday daytime hours. There was also no outside loudspeaker noise (Xmas barker) on the weekdays.

Monday evening them was Italian. Not as good as German due to food not being real hot, but still good. This might have been due to me arriving right at 5:30 for the Italian night and the food had been in transit, cooled and the lounge burners had not yet rewarmed everything.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:26 pm

Monday evening them was Italian. Not as good as German due to food not being real hot, but still good. This might have been due to me arriving right at 5:30 for the Italian night and the food had been in transit, cooled and the lounge burners had not yet rewarmed everything.
The rotation of food in the lounge during your stay sounds similar to mine a few weeks ago, when they rotated between German, Italian, and Japanese themes.

Early evenings definitely can get full in the lounge; some of the latecomers end up eating at the front desk!
Old Dec 6, 2011, 3:33 am

Anyone had any experience with the hotel's local policy with regard to Priceline?

I have a 1 night stay here in January. Not expecting nights or points to count but I'd value my gold benefits which the Marriott reservations line wouldn't add to the reservation.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:06 pm

Update on my previous post. I'm at this hotel right now. To my delighted surprise the hotel is currently being renovated and as a Marriott Gold my status was fully recognized (despite being on a Priceline reservation) which meant I was upgraded to an (executive) suite on the 28th floor.

Pictures of the lounge and suite are available here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7370749...th/6647890925/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.