Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Malpensa (MXP) Airport, Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Malpensa (MXP) Airport, Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by ckendall
(1) You walk about 500 feet or so to the elevator/escalator to the departures level
(2) If you have to check in with a US flight, probably about the same distance to the area where Delta/United and AA are.
(3) then about the same distance (maybe a bit less) to security
(4) then down escalators to the gate level and from there the distance can vary quite a bit depending on which gate you are leaving from.
Duplicate
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Thanks

So, quite a ways for a wife with two replaced knees and a bad back. It sounds like we are talking about at least 1/2 mile.
Request disability (wheelchair) assistance from the airline. Make sure to confirm prior to the flight. Then, let the hotel know the night prior to your flight that you have requested wheelchair assistance, as well as upon check-out. Let them know what time your flight is, the flight number, and the airline you will be flying. They are very good about contacting the airport's disability services, and having the wheelchair and pusher waiting in the lobby for you as you check out.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Also important is to get a room near the elevator in this hotel if you can't walk long distances. If you get a room at the end of the house you have to walk roundabout 200 m oneway...
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Thanks for all of the advice
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Just returned from a God-awful stay at the Sheraton Milan Malpensa. I cannot recommend this hotel at all. Problems we encountered:
  • Check-in was a mess. 2 employees, 10+ deep lineup. Guy in front of me mentioned he travels through Milan for work monthly, and it is always like this. For those who are arriving at the hotel late and just wanting to get to your room to sleep, it's frustrating.
  • The air conditioning is the weakest system I have ever encountered at a Sheraton. It took 3 hours (yes, 3 hours) to cool the room from 31 Celsius (it was a hot day in Milan) to 28 Celsius (82 F). When you get to your hotel room at 9PM, and it's still ridiculously uncomfortable in your room by midnight, it sucks. I called the front desk, who told me that this was likely to be the case in other rooms, it was just the "strength" of their air conditioning.
  • Service level in general is atrocious. My wife and I were given a room with 1 set of towels. Since she had no interest in re-using my towel, we called down for another set. It took close to an hour for towels to be delivered, which were stained. It took another 30 minutes for the second set to arrive.

My biggest complaint has to do with the really weak A/C. If you're visiting Milan in the summer, you're best to ask for an extra room key so you can leave the A/C running while you go do stuff so the room is tolerable upon return.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
mini review

The air conditioning issue has been around for awhile. So my advice Do your research in advance!
I overnighted last night. My Plat suite upgrade was fine. I love the Maxwell Smart 007 style sliding glass doors!
The lounge is excellent! Afternoon offerings incl. pizza and cakes. The eve hors douevres incl. two bot dishes, lots of cold options, comp beer and wine. Not bad.
My only issues were the cable TV signal and the spa did not open this am at 08:30.
(Feel free to PM me for e-mail address for the duty manager!)
MXP itself is a truly dreadful airport. Long haulways, lots of walking, poor signs. Would be nice if they spent some Euros to make the less more attractive!
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
The air conditioning issue has been around for awhile. So my advice Do your research in advance!
I overnighted last night. My Plat suite upgrade was fine. I love the Maxwell Smart 007 style sliding glass doors!
The lounge is excellent! Afternoon offerings incl. pizza and cakes. The eve hors douevres incl. two bot dishes, lots of cold options, comp beer and wine. Not bad.
My only issues were the cable TV signal and the spa did not open this am at 08:30.
(Feel free to PM me for e-mail address for the duty manager!)
MXP itself is a truly dreadful airport. Long haulways, lots of walking, poor signs. Would be nice if they spent some Euros to make the less more attractive!
When does the lounge close?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Just spent a night there and our stay was a bit more enjoyable than some of the recent posts.

We got a pretty nice room. No idea if it was an upgrade, as we had booked a basic room on points. My only real complaint is that it was on the first floor. The problem with that was the hotel has an event space between the guest rooms and the elevators on the first floor. So, every time we went between the room and the elevators we had to wind our way through a large group of people there for a convention on solar energy technology. I do have to say, however, that once we were in the room and closed the door we could not hear the murmur from the group any more.

Lounge was great. Breakfast was a little limited (no scrambled eggs, for instance), but the rest of the day was outstanding. They had breads, meats, cheeses, fruit, wine, beer, cake all available from at least noon until as late as we went (I think the latest we were there was about 8 PM). The evening offerings, starting at 6PM, were quite extensive. As mentioned up thread there were two hot dishes, but lots of anitpasti items, salad, sweets and, of course, all those aforementioned items. What really surprised me, though, was that it there were never very many people in there, despite the large convention. Maybe because they had food out all day at the convention. For whatever reason, we did not have to fight any crowds during any of our visits to the lounge.

We did have one meal at the bar. Ordered a pizza, which was pretty good. They also had a real nice smoked porter; local craft beer.

We had a late night flight out of MXP, so asked for a late check out at check in. Very nice FDC told us that he could actually extend us to 6PM, which we were grateful for since it meant 2 less hours hanging around the lobby or airport.

Since the weather was cooler, we did not experience the AC problems mentioned upthread.

Took a walk over to the airport early in the day to make sure we knew where we were going for our flight. Did not find it as bad as Antonio8069 did, maybe because we had all the time we needed and were not dragging luggage. Were able to find the elevators to departure level and determine which check-in area we needed to use. Also found a Carrefour on the ground level, which meant we could score a Coke for my Coke-loving wife. Worst part was that the rest rooms on the departure level were in dire need of a good cleaning and restocking.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Just stayed one night here on the night before a morning departure back to the US. I have to say I was very pleased with the hotel.

Some logistical descriptions for those who have not been: the hotel is located in Malpensa T1, directly above the Malpensa Express train station. Thus, if you come via the train, you do not take the walkway towards the terminal entrance, but simply enter the hotel lobby on the same level as the train ticketing office. The hotel has three levels of rooms above the ground floor. It is not a tall/vertical hotel, but rather a low/horizontal hotel so there is a good chance you will have to walk a decent amount to get to your room. The executive lounge is on the third floor and in my opinion was quite nice. We were there for the evening spread and it was very nice (enough essentially for a meal if you needed it). It is open to 11pm and opens at 6am I believe (though we did not use it for breakfast bc of our early flight). Check in was fine for us. As we checked in, a large flight crew (from Emirates) arrived (over 20 pilots and flight attendants), but they checked in at a different desk area, so "normal" guests were not delayed.

Had two rooms (both on points) and had emailed a request to get connecting rooms. At check-in they let us know that they had the connecting rooms prepared. The rooms were a very good size (as big or bigger than standard US rooms) and pretty nice IMO. We weren't there in the summer (when I see others have noted AC issues), but we did turn on the AC and it worked fine for our purposes (though again, it was not needed for hard work since it was cool outside). Beds were comfortable. Room was clean. Bathroom was nice. TV had your standard international channels (CNN, BBC and other channels in other languages.) Ample plugs and lights. Built in "bench" near TV area to open luggage up.

We were given a little chocolate cake welcome gift in each room which was a very nice touch.

If I was flying out in the morning out of MXP, I would definitely choose to stay here again. Made the process much easier (ie, come in via train at night and not have to worry in the morning. Of course, that doesn't prevent our British Airways check-in nightmare (!) but that wasn't Sheraton's fault!).
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Not your average airport Sheraton!

Loved this hotel. We were there for 1 night and were pre-upgraded to Diplomatic Suite (882 sq ft) after asking about suite upgrade via Chat (no SNAs used).

Check-in was a bit disappointing as Elite check-in counter was not manned and there were 2 guests already in line at both regular counters. Things looked up when I was handed an envelope from the GM offering me complimentary dinner for 2 at the restaurant or bar. I was told that this is a benefit offered to Ambassador Elites only. ^

The hotel is is a former parking garage which was repurposed into a hotel! The result is large rooms, wide hallways and some interesting architectural features like pillars in the room and long glass hallways. I really liked it. My suite was huge. The double sinks were part of the room, but there was a separate room for the toilet/bidet, and another for the bathing area (which had a tub with hand held sprayer, 2 shower heads on one wall, a rain shower on the ceiling and another hand held shower on opposite wall. Something for everyone! There was also a huge walk in closet.

I thought the lounge was excellent (hours are 6-10 pm, can’t remember the breakfast hours). The evening hors d’oeuvres were plentiful and high quality (new chef as of 6 months ago). Breakfast was a bit of a let down. Limited fruit and the eggs were poached and rubbery from being in the warming plates too long.

We enjoyed the free dinner in the restaurant. We were told that we could have 3 dishes/person, 1 bottle of still/sparkling water, 1 glass wine/person. The menu is Italian and the food was fantastic. Both my friend and I ate vegetarian (burrata salad, bocconcini salad, zucchini flowers stuffed with ricotta, pasta with zucchini, pine nuts and Parmesan in avocado sauce plus cheesecake and mango tapioca pudding for dessert).

I also had a welcome gift of cookies/macaroons waiting for me in the room.

I loved this this hotel and hope I get a chance to return!
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Just had a very pleasant stay here at the Sheraton Malpensa, a very modern building right in front of the terminal 1 entrance.
Fast and friendly check-in, as a Titanium Bonvoy I was upgraded to an Executive King room with lounge access, very bright, spacious and clean.
Club lounge is one of the best I have seen (in fact there are just a few here in Italy), a very large space with a good service all day long (snacks and beverages including red and white wine) and an impressive Happy hour (from 6pm) with a huge choice of food including pasta, rice, ham, cheese, salads, bread, cakes and so on.
They have a swimming pool with sauna but I didn't use it.
Having a very early flight I hadn't breakfast here, but they gave me a breakfast box to take away.
Really a very very good first class hotel experience!

Last edited by GoldenItalianBoy; Aug 24, 2019 at 2:12 am
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl
...............Things looked up when I was handed an envelope from the GM offering me complimentary dinner for 2 at the restaurant or bar. I was told that this is a benefit offered to Ambassador Elites only. ^.........
Wow! That's shocking. Did you book a special rate or is dinner complimentary for all Ambassador bookings? I wonder if this is some new promo as I was not offered such on my previous stays. Perhaps it is just for you, MG.

I concur this is a great Sheraton with excellent elite recognition. It is also a conference hotel so it can be booked up on certain dates.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by TerryK
Wow! That's shocking. Did you book a special rate or is dinner complimentary for all Ambassador bookings? I wonder if this is some new promo as I was not offered such on my previous stays. Perhaps it is just for you, MG.

I concur this is a great Sheraton with excellent elite recognition. It is also a conference hotel so it can be booked up on certain dates.
How long ago were you there? I believe the GM is new and this is something she offers to Amb Elites. Definitely nothing included with my room rate.

I just sent her a thank you email this morning!
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:58 pm

Finished up a stay here. Booked Club room, upgraded to Junior Suite which had the most fantastic shower I've ever experienced.

Club Lounge evening food selections were *excellent* and featured a variety of foods, not just carbs. Had an early flight so I didn't get to try breakfast, but I imagine the spread would be similarly extensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.