Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Union Square San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Noticed this on the property's website:

Registration desk is located on the third floor. This hotel does not accept third party credit card authorization forms.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Union Square San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:18 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Not sure what the other poster thoughts are but IMO as someone that has only stayed here pre-pandemic:

The location is fine and the property is fine but SF hotels (including the St. Regis) still haven’t fully reopened. SF is what it is right now. Not a super pleasant place but not the lawless wasteland people like Chamath make it out to be.

This JW was never anything special and is IMO a quintessential example of Marriott positioning the JW flag as just Marriott+ (Tho in this case it’s more like Marriott + 0.0000001). I would never pay extra for it.
I heard the Marriott Marquis in Union Square is even better, also it typically charges a higher rate as well.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by MisterE
I had a nice stay here in 2019 (so, pre-pandemic) and am planning another trip to SF this Fall (5 nights, travelling on my own, Titanium member). The Westin St Francis is just around the corner and the rates are much the same.

Any comments on which might be better in a post pandemic world?
Westin St. Francis - full breakfast, really friendly staff, delightful atmosphere
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by dgreen12
Marriott just manages it. The owner establishes expectations. And the owner is a large REIT.

Here's their other properties to potentially avoid:

https://www.pkhotelsandresorts.com/portfolio
And from whence Park Hotels and Resorts came from:

Park was established as an independent company on January 3, 2017, following its spin-off from Hilton.
About Park – Park Hotels & Resorts (pkhotelsandresorts.com)

David
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rt23456p
I heard the Marriott Marquis in Union Square is even better, also it typically charges a higher rate as well.
No no no. Please don't spread nonsense hearsay.
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Westin St. Francis - full breakfast, really friendly staff, delightful atmosphere
And a better location as well. That one block additional separation from the tenderloin does make a difference.
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I definitely don't disagree on the breakfast point - this is definitely not a property that has any intentions of being overly generous with the breakfast benefit (I've had good experiences with some breakfast-exempt properties (Marriott Copley) and bad with others (Boston Long Wharf)).
Essex House is another example - they're on the list, but provide a decent full buffet.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Having stayed many times when this was the Pan Pacific, those photos make me cringe. It's just a shame what Marriott did to this property, which was previously one of the classiest in the city.

And sorry, but being forced to pay a $25 destination fee, and then getting it back as a F&B credit, is no substitute for an actual elite breakfast benefit.
Of all the JWs that I've stayed at, this one is the least JW-ish. It's not a bad property per se, it's just not what you would expect. Definitely the least impressive lounge I've ever seen at any JW.
SPN Lifer and DCFlyer0306 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by rt23456p
better in what sense? It's ... bigger. That's about all I can say about the Marquis.
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:38 pm
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
better in what sense? It's ... bigger. That's about all I can say about the Marquis.

I thought the same back in 2019, and wrote a post on flyertea, half of the reply said the marriott marquis sf is like the flagship of marquis and better than jw
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
I haven't been to the Marquis since they completed their room refurb, but I cannot see it being better than the JW (which I have stayed at post refurb). At best, the same level. I thought that the JW lounge was better than the M Club.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The Marquis is a massive convention property with equivalent service levels and minimal elite benefits. it's also one of the ugliest buildings in the city (Herb Caen used to say the best views of SF are from inside the Marquis, because that way you don't have to look at it.)

The JW is slightly better - at least it's got good bones and it's not filled with 1500 conventioneers.

I'd stay in either property only as a last resort.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 3:53 am

Stayed here last week: the lounge is closed, I believe permanently. Was provided 1000 points per night in lieu of breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.