Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Excel, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft Excel, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2012, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
unfortunately i only need it for that one date so can't play about with the dates....
Sorry I meant that I only needed 2 nights but to book 3 was cheaper than 2. Just used it like very late checkout. Got 3 nights stay credit and 3rd night bonus thing.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Sorry I meant that I only needed 2 nights but to book 3 was cheaper than 2. Just used it like very late checkout. Got 3 nights stay credit and 3rd night bonus thing.
still doesn't work....3 nights are coming out to be way more expensive....
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
The Staroods in town are all pretty disgusting and overpriced. I can't bring myself to pay £300 a night for a grotty Starwood in central london without breakfast when I can have a fhr 5 star for the same or a park plaza suite for half that.
The Park Tower is just grotty on the outside, on the inside it is a very different story and I dare say it even deserves its price tag.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by JBauer
The Plat breakfast thing was like a $10 credit or something? I took the 250 points for 1 night.
Stayed last night and I chose the plat breakfast option in lieu of the 250 points. The option was "1 drink and 3 items" from the re:fuel store. Choice included breakfast pastries, sandwiches, salads, fruit salads, and branded items such as Moma! yoghurts and muselis. A very acceptable breakfast option, though though they made a bit of a mess of the accounting : the barcoded branded items were scanned at the register and appeared on my bill, this was removed at checkout.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Stayed last night and I chose the plat breakfast option in lieu of the 250 points. The option was "1 drink and 3 items" from the re:fuel store. Choice included breakfast pastries, sandwiches, salads, fruit salads, and branded items such as Moma! yoghurts and muselis. A very acceptable breakfast option, though though they made a bit of a mess of the accounting : the barcoded branded items were scanned at the register and appeared on my bill, this was removed at checkout.
That seems like a good option especially if there are 2 people staying it goes some way towards mitigating the overall room cost.

What is the deal with parking here are they charging nd if so how much? My last stay did not charge for parking and i wondered if that was by accident or design? Also are you able to charge spend in the restaurant to the room yet or do you still have to pay seperately?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
What is the deal with parking here are they charging nd if so how much? My last stay did not charge for parking and i wondered if that was by accident or design? Also are you able to charge spend in the restaurant to the room yet or do you still have to pay seperately?
Don't know about the parking, but you can definitely now charge restaurant spend to the room - I did so earlier this week.
Old May 7, 2012, 9:50 am

Second visit yesterday, and again all the platinum "free" breakfast items appeared on my bill. These were removed without question, but still, a black mark.
Old May 7, 2012, 1:16 pm

I'm in the Aloft again tonight. They have replaced the standard Starwood gold free drink voucher with their own photocopied one which says signature cocktail. Not sure why.
Old May 8, 2012, 6:36 am

Programs: A few
Second visit yesterday, and again all the platinum "free" breakfast items appeared on my bill. These were removed without question, but still, a black mark.
I just completed a three night stay and had the same problem on checkout. More annoyingly they seem to have gone ahead and actually charged me separately for the items that were taken off. I will be more careful next time

Otherwise I had a really enjoyable stay and loved this place. Got a great rate (69 per night all during the week on starpicks)

I posted my thoughts and some pics in this trip report

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ft-london.html

Mods: Is it not time to rename the Master Thread? This place has been long open now and plenty of actual reports here rather than pre-opening discussions
Old May 8, 2012, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Otherwise I had a really enjoyable stay and loved this place. Got a great rate (69 per night all during the week on starpicks)
+1. Comfy bed, decent shower, aircon that works properly, free bottled water. Moderm and quite funky ambience, but not too W-style trendy. The superb transport with the DLR right outside make this a very viable lower-cost option when visting central London too. I was actually attending a test event inside the new lympic Stadium on Sunday and the Olympic park is only 15 minutes away from the hotel. ^
Old May 8, 2012, 6:58 am

+1. Comfy bed, decent shower, aircon that works properly, free bottled water. The superb transport with the DLR right outside make this a very viable lower-cost option when visting central London too. I was actually attending a test event inside the new lympic Stadium on SUnday and the Olympic park is only 15 minutes away from the hotel. ^
How cool! I think I heard about this test run thing. I truly wish I could get this place during the Olympics. I have not given up hope. There is always some back door way of doing things. Want to see the Tae-Kwon-Do which I believe is being held at Excel

Yes the DLR connection is excellent. For tourists easy jaunt to either Tower Bridge for all the stuff there or connecting to the Jubilee line at Canning Town

I would suggest the hotel adds a free transfer shuttle to London City. It is SOOO close and yet effectively so far away.
Old May 8, 2012, 7:05 am

I would suggest the hotel adds a free transfer shuttle to London City. It is SOOO close and yet effectively so far away.
It has always surprised me why they (well, at least the Ramada and the Aloft) do not
Old May 8, 2012, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pazza2000
It has always surprised me why they (well, at least the Ramada and the Aloft) do not
I assumed the airport must want to charge a significant sum of money to permit the service- this is typically the restriction- in many cases airport operators ask for a percentage of a guaranteed gross.
Old May 8, 2012, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I assumed the airport must want to charge a significant sum of money to permit the service- this is typically the restriction- in many cases airport operators ask for a percentage of a guaranteed gross.
If it's free isn't gross = zero?

Also I'd be surprised if they can't work something out with City. LCY doesn't have the market power of LHR or even LGW. They ought to be doing everything they can just to get traffic to the place
Old May 8, 2012, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it's free isn't gross = zero?

Also I'd be surprised if they can't work something out with City. LCY doesn't have the market power of LHR or even LGW. They ought to be doing everything they can just to get traffic to the place
Gross of the hotel total revenue with a minimum guarantee. It is NOT free. It is a large sum of money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.