Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Excel, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Aloft Excel, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Keyser
perhaps....i've asked my ambassador to find out if the property can offer me the reservation for a day....if not then no harm....
Seriously do you have to stay there?

You know it isn't a great property with no real upgrades or noticeable preferable treatment for Plats, no credit from the "in house" restaurant and a pretty crappy location both for LCY airport and the rest of London.

There are vastly better hotels within docklands ( and less than 0.5 miles away in better locations) let alone elsewhere in London.

I certainly wouldn't be anywhere near risking paying full rack rate for this property unless I start wearing my underpants on my head, stick pencils in my nose and only become able to utter the word "wibble"
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

You know it isn't a great property with no real upgrades or noticeable preferable treatment for Plats, no credit from the "in house" restaurant and a pretty crappy location both for LCY airport and the rest of London.

There are vastly better hotels within docklands ( and less than 0.5 miles away in better locations) let alone elsewhere in London.
It is handy for LCY. I almost stayed here last minute on the opening night, although I was simply unable to book via over the phone or online (their was a bug in the system apparently). I stayed at the Ramada Jarvis next door in the end which is a very nice and affordable palce, although I am sure when an Event it taken place the prices are also hiked up in line with this.

I am keen to stay here, big W fan and have yet to stay in an aLoft property, plus airport hotels are handy for my domestic connections.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
unfortunately i do....

i know there are no real upgrades or benefits but i would get stay credit & be close to lcy as i have an early morning flight....

i'm staying the first 3 nights in london at a much better hilton property....i was only considering the aloft for my last night since its close to the airport....

I certainly wouldn't be anywhere near risking paying full rack rate for this property unless I start wearing my underpants on my head, stick pencils in my nose and only become able to utter the word "wibble"
if the price is over £100 then i will skip it....
Old Mar 16, 2012, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pazza2000
It is handy for LCY.
Although the property is geographically close to LCY it is a rip roaring PITA to get to LCY from the property. Either you double back to take public transport or you take a cab hat won't be a lot less than if you stayed in Canary Wharf.

I looked at this property last weekend because even though I live very close to LCY it felt like an easy way to get a relatively cheap night. Fuether research confirmed that it isn't really walkable and would take longer to reach LCY from the Aloft than it would from home.

I don't see the appeal of the Aloft unless you are participating in an exhibition at Excel.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Although the property is geographically close to LCY it is a rip roaring PITA to get to LCY from the property. Either you double back to take public transport or you take a cab hat won't be a lot less than if you stayed in Canary Wharf.

I looked at this property last weekend because even though I live very close to LCY it felt like an easy way to get a relatively cheap night. Fuether research confirmed that it isn't really walkable and would take longer to reach LCY from the Aloft than it would from home.

I don't see the appeal of the Aloft unless you are participating in an exhibition at Excel.
i still think its the best spg option for an early morning flight out of lcy....
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i still think its the best spg option for an early morning flight out of lcy....
That is as maybe but given you could stay in the infinitely superior Hilton Canary Wharf for less than half the price and enjoy an evening in their rather nice lounge and a decent breakfast as a HH Diamond and have a simpler journey to LCY in the morning I just don't see the point in staying the night in what is effectively a posh Holiday Inn Express at twice the cost of the Hilton.

Even if you have no Hlton status I am pretty sure an Exec room with full lounge benefits costs less than a night at the Aloft at weekends.

You would have to be pretty desperate for the nights to go down the aloft route IMHO and that is without considering the other decent similarly priced hotel options nearby. Even the Ramada next door is much better value for money.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is as maybe but given you could stay in the infinitely superior Hilton Canary Wharf for less than half the price and enjoy an evening in their rather nice lounge and a decent breakfast as a HH Diamond and have a simpler journey to LCY in the morning I just don't see the point in staying the night in what is effectively a posh Holiday Inn Express at twice the cost of the Hilton.

Even if you have no Hlton status I am pretty sure an Exec room with full lounge benefits costs less than a night at the Aloft at weekends.

You would have to be pretty desperate for the nights to go down the aloft route IMHO and that is without considering the other decent similarly priced hotel options nearby. Even the Ramada next door is much better value for money.
i am hilton diamond but i would much rather get the spg credit....would like to get to 100 nights a year so every night counts....

the hilton canary wharf is priced at £124 a night so its nowhere near half the price....the aloft is priced at £71 on the weekends before so if i can get it at that rate (or even close to £100) then i'll stay here otherwise i'll just stay an extra night at the hilton metropole since i'm already staying there the first 3 nights....
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:53 am

It's a fab location for me. I drive in from North- free parking. Get jubilee to Westminster. 30 mins to hotel door to the office.

The starwoods in town are all pretty disgusting and overpriced. I can't bring myself to pay £300 a night for a grotty Starwood in central london without breakfast when I can have a fhr 5 star for the same or a park plaza suite for half that.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:55 am

The aloft is £66 at weekend.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:40 pm

i am hilton diamond but i would much rather get the spg credit....would like to get to 100 nights a year so every night counts....
Looks like the changes to the SPG program are having their desired effect...
Old Mar 17, 2012, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Koby
Looks like the changes to the SPG program are having their desired effect...
they definitely are....i don't want to lose my ambassador....she is fantastic....
Old Mar 17, 2012, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the hilton canary wharf is priced at £124 a night so its nowhere near half the price....the aloft is priced at £71 on the weekends before so if i can get it at that rate (or even close to £100) then i'll stay here otherwise i'll just stay an extra night at the hilton metropole since i'm already staying there the first 3 nights....
The Hilton has been regularly selling weekend nights at below £60 there is a thread on it over at the HH forum, I guess you are a little unlucky for your dates.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Hilton has been regularly selling weekend nights at below £60 there is a thread on it over at the HH forum, I guess you are a little unlucky for your dates.
nowhere near £60 for the night i'm looking for....

anyway, it doesn't matter....if i can get the aloft for under £100 then i'll stay here otherwise i'll stay the extra night at the hilton metropole....
Old Mar 17, 2012, 3:22 pm

nowhere near £60 for the night i'm looking for....

anyway, it doesn't matter....if i can get the aloft for under £100 then i'll stay here otherwise i'll stay the extra night at the hilton metropole....
The aloft had odd pricing when I stayed a few weekends ago. 3 nights was cheaper than 2-I have no idea why. Play about with date options.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
The aloft had odd pricing when I stayed a few weekends ago. 3 nights was cheaper than 2-I have no idea why. Play about with date options.
unfortunately i only need it for that one date so can't play about with the dates....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.