Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Maui Marriott Ocean Club, HI [Master Thread]

Old Oct 23, 2002, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone been successful in using Membership Rewards points to get into the Marriott Maui Vacation Club. I have been trying for months via the Membership Rewards any I get one of two messages

Rooms not available, or Inventory not released.

Any success stories out there

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 23, 2002, 5:46 pm

I was able to get into the Kauai Marriott using Marriott Rewards points but only through making phone calls to the Marriott Vacation Club desk 12 months ahead of time. I own at the Marriott Maui and as an owner there was now availability at the Kauai Marriott. If your not an owner I suggest calling the hotel direct.
Lest than 4 weeks to go to Hawaii
Old Jan 8, 2003, 5:56 am

Maui Ocean Club Villa - Maui

I called about getting invited to a Marriott Ocean Club Timeshare in Maui and was told that a current owner has to recommend or invite me. Is anyone a current owner that could email me and explain how this works?
Old Jan 8, 2003, 12:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, Lifetime Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
I'm an owner there (and a fellow Hoosier ). I visited last year as someone had recommended me. You do not have to attend any timeshare presentation in order to get the promo rate. I will be glad to contact the Maui Marriott on your behalf.
Just email me with your name and address and any questions you may have.

------------------
lennon
Old Jan 10, 2003, 9:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Hi AACruiser. Hope you enjoy the Maui Ocean Club. As lennon, a fellow owner, could tell you, this certainly is not a "timeshare". It's instead a "shared ownership" type arrangement. I own three units at the Marriott Ocean Club and am happy to tell you that, as opposed to the traditional timeshare experience, the value in Marriott propertie tends to go North rather than South. I bought my units pre-construction and they have all increased 20-30 % over the last 2 1/2 years. I didn't buy them for investment reasons but it's nice to see something in this day and age increase in value!
I can give you the name of a personal contact at the Maui property if you desire.
Regards....
Old Jan 11, 2003, 8:55 am

Watch out for the reservation agents and do your research. I am not an owner but can share my experience being referred by an owner to visit Maui. In the end we had a wonderful trip but wound up making them change us to Kauai. The reservation agents are commissioned on your reservation and will do anything to close the sale. They neglected to disclose construction at the resort which my understanding is still at the hotel section. After reserving Maui, air and other stuff we got a message at home informing us about the construction and they recommended being off property during the day. I was very angry and went right to the top and made them change us to Kauai. It was not easy but once I got the right person they were extremely apologetic and compensated us very well.
We have been to Marriott timeshare properties in FL and the pressure was tremendous and would never go there again. We thought we were going to get harassed in Hawaii like we experienced in FL but it could not have been any more different. There was virtually no pressure, we were given a resort credit to attend the presentation which also had no pressure. The timeshare agents were actually very helpful in making very appropriate recommendations for our stay. It was a great trip. If you are considering purchasing they will give you huge incentives to decide on the spot which all go away the next day. If we could have researched at home we would have seriously considered purchasing but the incentive was gone so if you are interested come prepared as it will probably be in your best interest to buy while there.
Have fun, we did and are returning this summer.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 11:03 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Gold; Starwood Gold; UAL Premier; Delta Silver
We're in Maui as we speak! Been here anout 20 times. The Molokai wing has already been converted to timeshare, the Lanai has not. Construction on the Lanai tower starts in May. If you call the hotel directly and ask for the promo they'll gladly give it to you. No referrl needed. If they don't call back and ask for Glenn Okomoto and tell him you were referred by Tom. He's a good friend on mine. Great property, have fun.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 1:29 pm

What are the Maui Ocean Club Timeshares selling for now?

Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 5:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
A couple of questions for you folks who have responded to this thread:

1. Cholula (or others), could you explain the difference between the "shared ownership" type arrangement you described and standard timeshares. If you would prefer not to reply here, my email is in my profile.

2. Marriott is running a number of attractive promotions for the Maui Marriott, but with that construction proviso (expect to be off the property during the day). How problematic is this likely to be if you're a hotel guest, rather than owner? How much of the hotel facilities are actually left? Is this likely to be a waste of points/money? (I haven't been to the resort before.)

Thanks to all.

[This message has been edited by yyzflyer (edited 01-11-2003).]
Old Jan 13, 2003, 7:22 pm

We were just at the Maui Marriott in a 2 bedroom timeshare unit. They are very nice, large units but converted hotel rooms and, thus, don't have the full kitchen you usually see in timeshares. I understand that they will be building new towers with regular timeshare units soon (as opposed to converted hotel rooms) where the conference facilities currently are located.

Whether or not other owners choose to call them timeshares, they certainly are that. We own Marriott plus other timeshares and love the concept. Marriott timeshares definitely retain their value more that others due to the internal trade features. It is fairly easy to trade to other Marriott locations. We do this often and just spent New Years week at the Kauai Marriott followed by the week in Maui.

Just FYI for those who have visited Kauai, the units are similar but larger in Maui. The kitchenette has a better design with a larger sink and cabinets. We liked the Maui resort better but the island of Kauai better.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 10:40 pm

yyzfler...and other interested parties....a "timeshare" is just as it implies. You are buying just an amount of time...say 1 week or whatever....to use at your home resort or to trade. You have no equity and in essence are renting the property.
The Marriott "shared ownership" concept differs in that, at least in Hawaii, if you buy 1 week, you are buying 1/52 of that unit with 51other people. You are not locked into a specific week but can choose from whatever weeks are available when you place your reservations.You own the physical property as well as the land it occupies. You get a deed and fill out all the reams of paperwork you would do in buying a freestanding home. This shared ownership property, if purchased in the right location, i.e. Hawaii for example, increases in value and is part of your estate forever or until sold.
Most traditional timeshares fall in value as you are usually locked into a specific time and you don't have an equity position.
This may be a somewhat simplistic comparison of timeshares versus shared ownership but you get the idea. Having said all this, the shared ownership is considerably more expensive to purchase than the pure timeshare as you are actually buying something physical. I think the greater cost of shared ownership scares some people away...but in real estate as in most areas, you get what you pay for....
Old Jan 13, 2003, 10:53 pm

yyzfler....to answer the 2nd part of your question, I have occupied 3 of my units during the construction. I have never noticed any undue noise or congestion. You may hear occasional hammer noises but they are mostly drowned out by the surf.
The common areas...the pool, restaurants, lobby, etc. are not under construction...they were finished some time ago.The construction that is happening is limited to certain floors in the hotel and they are not floors where guests are staying.
I would call all the hoopla about construction, etc. a non event. But others may have had different experiences. Speaking only from what I have personally witnessed. I'm visiting the Maui location three times in 2003 so things can't be all bad!!
Old Jan 14, 2003, 8:27 am

Not be belabor the point, but timeshares are and "shared ownership" are exactly the same thing. Most timeshares are deeded property. Occasionally you will find one that is a lease hold agreement and the owner only has a RTU, "right to use" for a certain number of years. This is more common in Mexico.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 12:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DebBrown:
Not be belabor the point, but timeshares are and "shared ownership" are exactly the same thing. Most timeshares are deeded property. Occasionally you will find one that is a lease hold agreement and the owner only has a RTU, "right to use" for a certain number of years. This is more common in Mexico.</font>
Cholula: Deb is correct. Just ask the thousands of long time, experiened and well-educated "timeshare" owners (including many many Marriott timeshare owners) on www.tug2.net. Marriott Vacation Club sells "timeshares" -- it may sound better calling them by another name, and I am sure some sales people do so deliberately, but they are definitely timeshares. Selling floating weeks is also pretty common among timeshare companies in recent years. Marriott sells fixed weeks as well -- definitely week 52 (and week 51 as well at some locations) at the Hawaii properties, ski locations and other beach locations; some of the older Marriott timeshares also sell as fixed weeks year round. The factors that come into play w/ re rise or fall in value is a complex subject that is better covered on TUG.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 12:14 am

Thanks for the education. I'm just going on my relatively limited experience in ownership of 3 units at Marriott's Maui property. Practically everybody that I know that owns a timeshare elsewhere is PO'ed at the drastic drop in value after purchase as well as being locked into a specific week, I couldn't be more thrilled with my ownership in Maui.....value has increased dramatically and we've been able to visit whenever we desire. Can't imagine trading for another location as Maui is truly a paradise. I've traveled the world.....been there, seen it and done it....and this location is exactly what we were looking for.
Guess we can debate semantics about timeshare vs. shared ownership but call it what you may, I'm a happy camper.
BTW, I am registered on TUG as well but rarely check the site.
Regards.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.