Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEAVING Marriott] W Paris Opéra, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[LEAVING Marriott] W Paris Opéra, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2020, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
That's not really true at all - no booking engine excludes independent or consortium properties, to suggest that only Marriott/Hilton/Hyatt properties are on the corporate radar just doesn't make any sense. Independent properties are on their own to negotiate rate deals which are often better, and more flexible than what is offered by chain hotels. You're forgetting that I am in the travel business and have extensive knowledge of this fact. Corporate discounts negotiated with specific properties are more prevalent than just the "codes" that people trade on Flyertalk, and those rates are often more appealing than discount code rates - which, by the way, are also controlled at the property level, not by the brand.

Business travel won't be coming back - if it ever comes close to 2019 levels, we're looking at years. The entire travel industry needs to reboot itself and refocus on leisure/aspirational travel. The decision by the W, and other properties who have been fleeing Marriott, is a good one.
probably depends on the business and travelers. I know FedEx uses Hilton and General Dynamics uses Marriott. Most people who I work with, and we are probably a top 20 travel spend company, are loyal to a brand and not independent hotels. While the “engines” may not filter out independents, they usually show preferred hotels first, which tend to be one of the big franchises.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 7:50 pm

That's not really true at all - no booking engine excludes independent or consortium properties, to suggest that only Marriott/Hilton/Hyatt properties are on the corporate radar just doesn't make any sense. Independent properties are on their own to negotiate rate deals which are often better, and more flexible than what is offered by chain hotels. You're forgetting that I am in the travel business and have extensive knowledge of this fact. Corporate discounts negotiated with specific properties are more prevalent than just the "codes" that people trade on Flyertalk, and those rates are often more appealing than discount code rates - which, by the way, are also controlled at the property level, not by the brand.

Business travel won't be coming back - if it ever comes close to 2019 levels, we're looking at years. The entire travel industry needs to reboot itself and refocus on leisure/aspirational travel. The decision by the W, and other properties who have been fleeing Marriott, is a good one.
probably depends on the business and travelers. I know FedEx uses Hilton and General Dynamics uses Marriott. Most people who I work with, and we are probably a top 20 travel spend company, are loyal to a brand and not independent hotels. While the “engines” may not filter out independents, they usually show preferred hotels first, which tend to be one of the big franchises.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Depends on the company and who they negotiated a contract with. While most larger companies will go with 1-2 brands, their actual pricing is determined by a contract with an individual property - so depending on the size of the company and the number of nights, they might have 2-3 different preferred hotels in a given city, and that list might shift during the year as nights need to be allocated to a contract. Granted, there is a preference for brands, not because Marriott or Hilton are better than anyone else, but rather to focus on consistency - however I've worked for, and worked with different companies and vendors who had contracts with independent properties in certain cities. In fact, when I was still attached to the corporate world, our company, a very large one, had hotels through the booking engine, with prices that varied, but also published a master list of preferred hotels by city, and you could book direct with those properties to get a fixed negotiated rate - in larger cities like New York, there might be 5-6 hotels on the list, with about half being independent 4-5* business class hotels. This is even more prevalent in Europe which has a larger number of independent properties.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Depends on the company and who they negotiated a contract with. While most larger companies will go with 1-2 brands, their actual pricing is determined by a contract with an individual property - so depending on the size of the company and the number of nights, they might have 2-3 different preferred hotels in a given city...
That's the exact situation I used to deal with when I worked at a global accounting/consulting firm a few years ago. Any "major" city, so a NYC, Chicago, SF, London, etc. We had hotels that we had to stay in because as a company we'd bought XX room nights for the year. Any attempt to stay elsewhere would red flag your travel plans, unless our block was already sold out which at the time wasn't uncommon. I usually booked all my hotels late for that reason, let everybody else fill the crappy block rate properties while I took my chainwide discount to a nicer while still in budget property
Old Nov 7, 2020, 6:39 am

This discussion on the dynamics of business travel booking engines is completely unrelated to the W Paris.
est-gratuite and khabah like this.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
This discussion on the dynamics of business travel booking engines is completely unrelated to the W Paris.
However, the prevalence of quality properties, of which the W Paris Opera was one, fleeing Marriott for independence or another chain, is germane since this is by no means an isolated incident.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:56 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I was thinking about what happened to this property since leaving Marriott, and seem to have found out what. According to this October 2021 article from Le Parisien, the hotel is being used to house women in distress under the temporary name of Hotel L until May 2022, at which point the building will be stripped and converted to offices.

Well... that's a shame. Glad it was put to noble use during its closure, but I was at least hoping it'd renovate and rebrand into, oh, say Thompson Paris. Oh well.

khabah
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by khabah
I was thinking about what happened to this property since leaving Marriott, and seem to have found out what. According to this October 2021 article from Le Parisien, the hotel is being used to house women in distress under the temporary name of Hotel L until May 2022, at which point the building will be stripped and converted to offices.

Well... that's a shame. Glad it was put to noble use during its closure, but I was at least hoping it'd renovate and rebrand into, oh, say Thompson Paris. Oh well.

khabah
Ironic if it happens, almost all the office space in opera district has been converted to hotels / beds not the other way
Old Apr 23, 2022, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by khabah

khabah
I remember the discussions on choosing between the W Opera and the Westin Vendome. If the Westin is sold, my guess is that, because of the location, it will become a true luxury hotel, which probably will not be part of Marriott.

Hopefully, Marriott will sign in new properties in Paris in the near future to fill the void.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.