Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
There’s no reason for any link to exist between general costs of living and hotel prices, so I think that’s a bit unfair. But yes, Thai prices have indeed risen from the “good old days” in previous troubles - I still do not think that Naka Island justifies $500, even as one of its fans here.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Thailand resort prices have gone off the charts recently. Very common now to see $500+ per night for the luxury resorts on Samui and Phuket.

These prices are very hard to justify compared to the overall cost of living in the country. It's some pretty extreme profit grabbing by the property owners.
What correlation do you believe there is between the cost of living in a country and what foreign visitors are willing to pay to stay at luxury resorts in said countries?

Regards
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:49 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
What are the standout resort / nature-oriented properties in Thailand if not here? Vana Belle doesn't look that appealing and isn't any cheaper.

The W Ko Samui looks gorgeous but prices are through the roof. Perhaps the Conrad? Hyatt doesn't seem to have anything.

I stayed at the LM Ko Samui last month which was nice, but had a really disappointing beach.

(Personally I was keen on the JW Phu Quoc but girlfriend veto'd the idea)
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by scubadu
What correlation do you believe there is between the cost of living in a country and what foreign visitors are willing to pay to stay at luxury resorts in said countries?
It goes to whether the property owners are gouging their guests. I assure you that the Thai employees at Vana Belle are not getting paid commensurate with an $800 per night room rate.

Are you really confused by this concept?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:51 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I think we are just rejecting your concept, not lacking in any understanding. Hotel prices are based on supply and demand, not local wage levels.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I think we are just rejecting your concept, not lacking in any understanding. Hotel prices are based on supply and demand, not local wage levels.
I hear you, but IME, Thai hotel owners will often price according to their own logic, without regard for the laws of supply and demand. This played out particularly clearly during the political unrest that shut down parts of Bangkok a few years ago. Quite a few properties simply refused to discount, despite being literally empty.

The same "logic" applies at resorts like Vana Belle. They would apparently prefer to have half the resort empty then reduce their prices to match demand.

This is one of the (many) reasons Thai Airways is constantly losing huge amounts of money - they don't even try to price their fares competitively on many routes (which makes them great for award availability, since their aircraft are often half empty).
estnet likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
It goes to whether the property owners are gouging their guests. I assure you that the Thai employees at Vana Belle are not getting paid commensurate with an $800 per night room rate.

Are you really confused by this concept?
Do you honestly believe the Mexican employees at the Four Seasons resort in Punta Mita are paid "commsurate" with ~$1200 room rates?

The fact that I don't agree with you does not, ipso facto, mean I don't understand you. It's just means I don't agree with you and that your logic is shaky at best. I get that you wish the rates were more to your liking, but that isn't really how the game works.

Have you also considered the fact that over the last couple years Thailand is becoming a more "hot" destination, has been getting much more publicity, and thus more people are going there than ever before, particularly in the luxury accommodation category?

Additionally, your use of the term "gouging" is a bit melodramatic. In economic theory, the idea of gouging is used for the things like a building supply store excessively and rapidly raising the price of lumber in a local area immediately following a natural disaster. I don't think wealthy foreigners, choosing to willingly fly half way around the world to stay at a luxury resort in Thailand really fits the definition of "gouging."

Regards
VisaW likes this.

Last edited by scubadu; Mar 14, 2019 at 8:19 am Reason: Grammar/spelling
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:11 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Folks, let’s get back to the topic of information on the hotel.

yosithezet
Co-Mod, MB Forum

estnet and northsideguy like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I confused this property with the Naka Phuket. I checked that property and like the pictures.
https://www.oyster.com/phuket/hotels.../photos/beach/

Which one would you guys recommend if you want to eat at local restaurants, get massages and go snorkeling? I'm 50 nights platinum.

Last edited by mintcilantro; Apr 10, 2019 at 9:39 pm
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
I confused this property with the Naka Phuket. I checked that property and like the pictures.
https://www.oyster.com/phuket/hotels.../photos/beach/

Which one would you guys recommend if you want to eat at local restaurants, get massages and go snorkeling? I'm 50 nights platinum.
The Naka Island is on an island and is therefore terrible for eating out compared to anywhere on the mainland. I'm sure the situation changes there rapidly but we were there two years ago and there was a nice local Thai restaurant 5-10 minutes walk from the resort entrance along the narrow footpath that was very tasty and clearly targeting resort guests who didn't want to spend the astronomical amounts on resort restaurants but nevertheless were prepared to pay premium prices for regular Thai food. Nice meal, basic but clean place, more expensive than you'd think. Alternatively, we got the speed boat one evening (at the time Plats got unlimited speedboat transfers) to the marina and ate at one of the restaurants there. Nothing special about that meal at all and still premium prices for Thailand.

You go to the island for the villa experience (don't use points or you will stay in the new block which really isn't worth it) and to be shut off from the world. If you're after local places then it's a terrible option.
mintcilantro likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by ftrichard
The Naka Island is on an island and is therefore terrible for eating out compared to anywhere on the mainland. I'm sure the situation changes there rapidly but we were there two years ago and there was a nice local Thai restaurant 5-10 minutes walk from the resort entrance along the narrow footpath that was very tasty and clearly targeting resort guests who didn't want to spend the astronomical amounts on resort restaurants but nevertheless were prepared to pay premium prices for regular Thai food. Nice meal, basic but clean place, more expensive than you'd think. Alternatively, we got the speed boat one evening (at the time Plats got unlimited speedboat transfers) to the marina and ate at one of the restaurants there. Nothing special about that meal at all and still premium prices for Thailand.

You go to the island for the villa experience (don't use points or you will stay in the new block which really isn't worth it) and to be shut off from the world. If you're after local places then it's a terrible option.
Great info. This location isn't right for me.

MOD: Question on other options moved to Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Last edited by yosithezet; Apr 11, 2019 at 7:10 pm Reason: Moved OT
Old May 16, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: Some
Looking at a stay here and there is now a notice on the website that 'Resort Expansion' is ongoing between May and November this year which may cause disturbance - is this more non-villa rooms being built? Any one have any experience of how much of a nuisance this is?
NW-A332 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Looks like a property with great potential but spoiled by disrespect to Platinum members. Will stick to Samui then.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Isochronous
Looks like a property with great potential but spoiled by disrespect to Platinum members. Will stick to Samui then.
Until recently, it used to be great. We stayed there three years ago on a cash booking in a villa before this new development took place and had unlimited speed boat transfers and two hours of sundowners in a dedicated bar. Combined with the boozy breakfast this made a wonderful holiday experience for Platinums.

As noted above, with the changes I wouldn't stay here again because for the cash you can find better treatment elsewhere and with points you're stuck in a new concrete block which isn't what you go to Naka Island for.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Hello all,

Bumping this thread up as I recently booked my parents for this, and had a couple of questions:

So, having a bit of buyer's remorse, and maybe totally unnecessary, but wanted to ask you guys who have stayed here:

I booked this through AMEX FHR, and added my dad's Marriott Titanium number: since this was a gift, I put in my card on file. However, after charging the first night + tax on my card, they confirmed that it was infact my card and they will not be able to accept it/ I promptly provided them my father's eligible AMEX, which they charged immediately, and all's good. They assured (and also gave me in writing on email), that they will refund me the amount charged on my card -

1. If any of you has had a similar experience, how long has it taken for the refund to appear in your account (they quoted 30-50 days, which I think is way too long).
2. If I maybe so bold, I paid around $2.6k for 5 nights as an AMEX FHR rate, which also includes a $100 spa credit and breakfast (alongwith upgrade, early check-in / late check-out) - maybe this is the high season (early January 2020), but, is this the average rate or did I overpay?

Now, coming to benefits:

1. As a Titanium on an AMEX FHR rate, will the speedboat transfer be complimentary, or is it just the one time during arrival / departure?
2. Is there any real chance of an upgrade (they are currently booked in Grand Deluxe)?
3. Anything special they should ask for in the resort as an elite / on AMEX FHR rate (they are celebrating their wedding anniversary)?

Also, FT'ers who have stayed in this resort, anything that you might want to add?

Thank you all, so much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.