Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by JohnSIN

1.there are many convenience stores on the way and pharmacies and it is no problem asking your driver to stop for 5 minutes. I normally just use the hotel transfer because it is so convenient. I would otherwise take a taxi.
if you intend to visit other places in Phuket, you can also consider renting a car (that’s what I do on most trips). There is ample car park at the marina and then you can just go anywhere you want.

2.to be honest, the Naka is wonderful but it is not a good starting point for exploring the rest of Phuket. There isn’t much at the marina and the surrounding villages are residential. Suggest you enjoy Naka island and stay there or choose a different hotel and explore what Phuket has to offer.

thanks for the tips! I honestly don’t expect we’ll leave the island. We’re coming for only 3 days to naka, with the intention that it’s a relaxing romantic few days. That being said I’ve never been one for typical beach vacations, I’m more of a go-go-go city vacationer. My SO on the other hand can lay by the pool for the entire trip. So our intention is to just bum around the resort, I just wanted to know what we’re looking at for options in the case that I get cabin fever.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Chellyx

thanks for the tips! I honestly don’t expect we’ll leave the island. We’re coming for only 3 days to naka, with the intention that it’s a relaxing romantic few days. That being said I’ve never been one for typical beach vacations, I’m more of a go-go-go city vacationer. My SO on the other hand can lay by the pool for the entire trip. So our intention is to just bum around the resort, I just wanted to know what we’re looking at for options in the case that I get cabin fever.
I would also recommend staying on the island. Naka offers a daily free activity as well and beside that I would take the bikes for a little island tour (small village and 2 other beaches after a ride through the forest) and another nice activity is renting a kayak for a circumnavigation of the Island. You´ll even get a certificate after doing so
Old May 1, 2018, 5:15 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by ftrichard
7. We got a third party transfer from the airport for 600 Baht (I've used SRC Travel for this many times in Phuket). The driver phoned the resort to get directions and let them know we're coming so the handover to the speedboat was seamless. However, he still managed to miss the turning to the marina and had to phone again, turn round and backtrack a bit to find it. To be fair, I didn't see any clear signposts to the marina so maybe this is a recurrent problem. Just print out the map on the resort web site and make sure your driver phones the resort for directions.
Thanks for the tip on SRC. We used them as well weekend before last. We also missed the drop off point and had a long walk. But the price and service is great!

For those who have stayed here & asked your driver to stop at a 7-11 or similar, were you able to just make a general request that you wanted to stop in a store on the way, or did you give them a specific location of where to stop? Any recommendations on a transport company? It looks like the resort´s private transfers are quite a bit more than the other companies, is it worth it for convenience sake to just book with the hotel, or should I seek an outside company?
You will pay like 4 times the amount to book through the hotel. For the 25 minute ride, I don't see the point myself. We called once on the way and let the hotel know we'd need the speedboat in 25 mins and it was fine.

We used SRC like @ftrichard above. Phuket Tours Cheap Day Tours by Phuket SRC Travel in Phuket Thailand

As for 7-11, we just told the SRC driver that we wanted to stop at 7-11 and he said there is a big one 5 minutes from the airport. We stopped there and grabbed a bunch of stuff. We also asked if he wanted anything and brought him back 2 cans of cold coffee. Note that there are 7-11's next to 7-11's in Thailand. If the driver is not sure what you are asking, tell him you want to stop at 'sewen'. In Thailand it is often easier to be specific. If you say "We'd like to stop by a shop to get some snacks and supplies" you will get a confused stare most likely.

Also, with the speed boat transfers which are supposedly free/unlimited for plats - if we take the transfer for a day out, is there much to do around the area your dropped off, or would we also need to find transportation to an area with more activities?

1.there are many convenience stores on the way and pharmacies and it is no problem asking your driver to stop for 5 minutes. I normally just use the hotel transfer because it is so convenient. I would otherwise take a taxi.
if you intend to visit other places in Phuket, you can also consider renting a car (that’s what I do on most trips). There is ample car park at the marina and then you can just go anywhere you want.

Phuket has been known for the mafia taxis. While I almost exclusively take taxis in BKK, I find that in Phuket they are more likely to rip one off. That may have changed.

2.to be honest, the Naka is wonderful but it is not a good starting point for exploring the rest of Phuket. There isn’t much at the marina and the surrounding villages are residential. Suggest you enjoy Naka island and stay there or choose a different hotel and explore what Phuket has to offer.
Like @JohnSIN I rent a car when I'm at other resorts in Samui, Phuket, Khao Lak... but for Naka, the resort is the destination. Great pace for rest and relaxation, but I agree that it isn't useful as a base for exploration.

The breakfast is great. We missed the fact that you can order off the menu until our final morning. I did spot the bloody mary service which was hugging the corner to the right of the fresh juices and Thai iced tea.

We had the Sat night Thai buffet and found it pretty poor. That said, we spend a lot of time in Thailand and my wife is Thai. But it led to us deciding not to try the Asian buffet the second night. Unfortunately our arrival was late the evening they have the seafood bbq buffet.

The current Platinum happy hour benefit is 50% off the free flow drinks from 4-6PM at the Z Bar. We arrived at 5:30PM and found that the best seats were reserved. By 6:15 one of those spots was empty. We took the free flow, it was quiet on a Sunday night, and the waitress was gracious enough to allow a drink or two after the happy hour was actually over. With taxes the free flow came to THB 501.4 per person.

We walked to the local village and grabbed some food there one afternoon. The food was just ok but of course 1/10th the price of the hotel food, as expected.

Some pics of our walk to the village below.

Old May 3, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: LH LT SEN, Bonvoy Titanium (former SPG Plat) + LTP
We used Grab taxi (Grab app) to get to the drop off point at the Grand Po Marina. Grab was fast, reliable and cheap compared to the usual Phuket prices. It's easy for the driver to locate the drop-off point as it's shown on his app.

Mr. Leem was already expecting us, took the bags and off we went to the shuttle boat. Couldn't have been better.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Flygirl_DE
We used Grab taxi (Grab app) to get to the drop off point at the Grand Po Marina. Grab was fast, reliable and cheap compared to the usual Phuket prices. It's easy for the driver to locate the drop-off point as it's shown on his app.

Mr. Leem was already expecting us, took the bags and off we went to the shuttle boat. Couldn't have been better.
Great tip!

Did you do the same back to the airport?
Old May 4, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: LH LT SEN, Bonvoy Titanium (former SPG Plat) + LTP
No, we just took the shuttle boat to the marina und there were lots of SUV's (not taxi's) at the drop off point and we just negotiated a rate very similar to the one we paid when using Grab. The driver was a local from the area close by the Marina with a clean car and very good English speaking skills. .

Had the rate been higher or if the taxi mafia was there we would have used Grab again as we did several times in Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia
Old May 10, 2018, 5:24 am

Do you remember aprox how much you paid?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:11 am

Curious to hear people’s experiences post merger. The hotel contacted me and said these were the new platinum benefits.
“As our valued VIP Platinum member, you may enjoy the following benefits at our resort:

· Enhanced room upgrade, including suites, excluding villas, subject to availability upon arrival

· Late check out at 4pm ,subject to availability, which can only be confirmed a day prior to your date

· VIP in room check-in

· Daily turn down service

· Daily newspaper (upon request)
  • Complimentary access to our Health club
  • Complimentary WiFi
· Complimentary daily roundtrip speedboat transfer to Ao Po Grand Marina during stay

Welcome Gift Selection:

· Bonus 1,000 points per stay or

· Complimentary daily breakfast for member + 1 guest during stay or

· The Naka Island A Luxury Collection Cap”

Im surprised and disappointed the villas are excluded. Isn’t that the main property type?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:15 am

They only have villas.

Bad copy paste job IMO but I suggest you clarify with them.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
No. They now have something like 30 hotel rooms and suites in a building. Rooms are like 40 sqm. Have zero views.

We booked in points for Christmas period. I had hoped I'd grt upgraded to a villa or suite. I called hotel and they said they would only upgrade 1 category level. Since I booked in points, they would only upgrade us to a slightly larger room, not even suite. Wouldnt even let me pay to upgrade oddly.

TA has horrible reviews of these hotel room accomodation.

I canceled

​​​
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:39 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Yep, I was surprised to see they had added a building with standard rooms in it recently.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:54 pm

Thanks for the advice. We’re going around Christmas as well but debating switching hotels. Management has not been very helpful/responsive.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
When I called, mgt was not helpful. I did not understand why they would not let me book on points and then pay to upgrade. To their credit, they told me the room I was booked into and the possible upgrade room had zero views. The person told me I would literally be looking at concrete. Without the possibility for an upgrade and the inability to pay for an upgrade (maybe the person didn't understand me?) I cancelled. The point rate was so low I had to use it... 45,000 points vs $1000 USD a night.

I switched the nights over to JW Marriott Khao Lak. Might not be as luxurious but at least I know I won't be getting a 40 sqm room looking at concrete without a massive pool for little one.

I am not used to LCs being so decidedly not luxurious and concomitantly stingy with plats.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:05 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Why don't you consider a One Bedroom Sala Pool Villa at the Westin Siray Bay? It's good value and may not be as luxe but with your private pool and ample space it's a nice vacation spot.

The one thing to note is that the build quality is lacking., but otherwise it's great for R&R.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Why don't you consider a One Bedroom Sala Pool Villa at the Westin Siray Bay?
Or Vana Belle with a paid upgrade? I personally prefer Samui to Phuket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.