Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2011, 6:53 pm

This property is off my list until this nosebleed boatride cost is sorted out.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:04 pm
Suspended

While it's expensive, I wouldn't say it's outrageous. Compared to what the Venice properties are charging, it even seem very 'affordable'.

They are charging on a per boat basis. If it's a family of 5 staying for a week, the cost per person per day is quite minimal. However for a solo traveller or couple staying a night or two, it just doesn't make sense.

Management should implement a shared shuttle service with fixed schedule, but then I don't think their main target market is those who are concerned about a $40 dollar boat ride.

Last edited by mario33; Nov 22, 2011 at 7:13 pm
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by mario33
While it's expensive, I wouldn't say it's outrageous. Compared to what the Venice properties are charging, it even seem very 'affordable'.

They are charging on a per boat basis. If it's a family of 5 staying for a week, the cost per person per day is quite minimal. However for a solo traveller or couple staying a night or two, it just doesn't make sense.
Good points. I think I would say that the most frustrating part of this, if this is truly the price and manner in which they charge (yet to be confirmed by Lurker II), is that EVERYBODY NEEDS TO TAKE THIS BOAT TO GET TO THEIR HOTEL ROOM! LOL...It's not really an option, so the hotel apparently decided to ADD this to the hotel rate, when it really should have been built in.

And compare this to the Bangkok Peninsula hotel....where I understand the short river boat for the crossing, is complimentary for hotel guests....
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:42 am

Programs: SPG Pt.
Originally Posted by blueline7
Good points. I think I would say that the most frustrating part of this, if this is truly the price and manner in which they charge (yet to be confirmed by Lurker II), is that EVERYBODY NEEDS TO TAKE THIS BOAT TO GET TO THEIR HOTEL ROOM! LOL...It's not really an option, so the hotel apparently decided to ADD this to the hotel rate, when it really should have been built in.

And compare this to the Bangkok Peninsula hotel....where I understand the short river boat for the crossing, is complimentary for hotel guests....
As I belive, arrival and returning boat transfer is complimentary for hotel guest, at least for platinum member. The 2500BHT charge is for additional transfer needed. So! My advice is dont leave Naka Island until the last day of your stay unless necessary.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 3:02 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Angry Naka Island

Hi this is my first post to Flyertalk, have been following it avidly for several months but felt compelled to add to this post, I am spg plat and was delighted to find out there would be a new addition to Phuket with Naka Island and made a provisional booking, however after following ft and tripadvisor posts am reluctant to stay at this property. The opening offer of 9000 THB is reasonable but I think they are planning on maximising their revenues by ensuring they have a captive audience, in other words you can only eat, drink and do whatever activities you want at the hotel, fair hotels are and should be about making money, but I think the boat situation is ridiculous, even the St Regis Bora Bora operates a complimentary shuttle to the mainland. What has convinced me to cancel my proposed 10 day reservation at this hotel was when I requested details of diving which is listed as an activity, the answer, you have to take our shuttle (2,500 THB return - think but not clear) to get to the mainland in order to participate in any activities, so in other words they are telling me that everytime I want to make the 5 minute journey to the mainland I must pay almost $100 (of course the obligatory ++ is added). Then to top it off they are offering the services of a terrible diving company Sea Bees, have dived with them from Meridien Khao Lak and it is really a backpackers tour operation, pick up to stop at every hotel on the way, slow boats, surly dive guides). I would have at least thought a property claiming to be a luxury resort would have a better operator (I loved H20 sportz based at Laguna - fast boats, small groups of 3 or 4 and surprisingly less expensive). I think this gives an indication of what you will experience at Naka
1) overpriced and not particularly good food
2) activities confined to the resort (surely snorkelling will not be an option as doubt there is any coral so close to shore!)
When i asked the hotel whether it is possible to take a longtail boat ashore (which I am sure it is) their reply was they don't advise it due to health and safety.

Regarding other eating options they said they would not advise due to health regulations, come on this is Thailand, only time I ever got ill was in a large chain hotel through eating a buffet.
We have now transferred our booking to Le Meridien Ko Samui and would be interested in hearing from anywhere has been there. To be fair hopefully Starwood will listen to feedback and adjust their rates/policies accordingly and it is early days.

I don't mind spending money in a hotel (we are booking 3 week tour of China in St Regis/Lux Collection so price is not a problem) but I hate being taken for a ride (in thiscase a 'boat ride' pun pun.
FD
Old Nov 23, 2011, 7:00 am

Programs: SM Gold, MP 2P, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC
I got clarification via email last night its THB2500 for return transfer, but as pointed out above: activities planned do not include this boat transfer so its an automatic THB2500 on top of every excursion even when booking through the resort! Majority of excursion costs are THB3300 per person for group trips and then THB2500 for the 5 minute boat ride.

Sounds like this is a 5 minute boat ride of ridiculous!

I haven't been pleased with the service so far via email with the hotel, I'm not getting that feeling of exceptional customer service, the overall attitude is definitely leading me to strongly reconsider this reservation. Eek, I check in in like 10 days, need to decide.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: SM Gold, MP 2P, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC
Originally Posted by pelapela
As I belive, arrival and returning boat transfer is complimentary for hotel guest, at least for platinum member. The 2500BHT charge is for additional transfer needed. So! My advice is dont leave Naka Island until the last day of your stay unless necessary.
Not true. Based on my conversation with the resort, all transfers cost.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 7:14 am
Suspended

Puzzles me why anyone planning to stay here would want to go on an 'excursion' which departs from the main land (or rather main island). When you stay in a place like this, you are supposed to just rest & relax and enjoy the surroundings. If you are planning on a more active vacation, you should stay in Phuket proper.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by mario33
Puzzles me why anyone planning to stay here would want to go on an 'excursion' which departs from the main land (or rather main island). When you stay in a place like this, you are supposed to just rest & relax and enjoy the surroundings. If you are planning on a more active vacation, you should stay in Phuket proper.
I agree that this property is best used for self-imposed captivity, as an isolated, excursion-free, menu specific, retreat. But that didn't have to be the case...they could have made it be 'the best of both worlds' considering its proximity to the main island and the airport.....And that is their call to make...So, I can't argue that this is a good place to stay for excursions off the island...

But what I find puzzling, is that for someone who wants to stay a night or two, why they would welcome someone to the resort with an $85 plus taxes (probably) entrance fee. Someone will try to swim across the moat there someday to save the money! LOL
Old Nov 23, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: SPG Pt.
Originally Posted by piratejo
Not true. Based on my conversation with the resort, all transfers cost.
I just double confirm with my friend who just stayed with this property last week. He told me the returning boat transfer was indeed free of charge. As for the arriving boat transfer, he was not sure if it's free. Naka Island offered him a promotion which included airport pickup, by BMW 7serises, and arriving boat transfer for 1800THB ++ which I consider as a good deal. If anyone is thinking of going to Naka Island, this promotion is highly recommanded.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by pelapela
He told me the returning boat transfer is indeed free of charge.
I think your friend must be mistaken....The boat ride TO the island is actually free....Its the one on the way BACK that they charge 2500 baht for! LOLOL
Old Nov 23, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I am in Phuket right now and was.thinking about staying here, but that $85 five min boat ride is just absurd. I think I will pass, and let the next guy get ripped off.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 7:20 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Thumbs down Naka Island

I agree with all recent posts regarding the transfer costs, it is nice to relax in a resort but it is nice to have options and not be forced to spend all time/money there, diving is one of the major attractions in Phuket and to add that cost onto each dive (with their lousy diving operator sea bees, hated them in Khao Lak and it convinced me not to return to LM KL) it is not the money but the principle. They have got it wrong and have just booked W Koh Samui who are offering promotional rates, will perhaps return once Starwood has a better hold on the resort, their signing off 'let us be your guide' is beginning to grate on my nerves!
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fdemoulin
but it is nice to have options and not be forced to spend all time/money there !
There are many resorts of this nature in the region (and I am sure elsewhere as well) . It may not suite you, but there are many who loves this concept. Apart from the Maldives, I have also stayed at a few other resorts where you are basically trapped on an island or in a location not accessible by road. Am I going to bash these resorts because I can't walk down the road for supper ?

All these bashings are getting very silly especially when those participating have not even stayed there. There are so many places you can stay in Phuket ; if this concept doesn't suite you, there are many on the main island which would. But then you may not be able to get a free stay from your credit card spend at most resorts in Phuket, I can almost guess the nationality of the moaners ...

And while I am not a diver, I have never thought of Phuket as a major diving destination in the region. Thought the Maldives, Sipadan, Perhentians, Great Barrier Reef are places you go to for diving ...

Last edited by mario33; Nov 24, 2011 at 9:05 am
Old Nov 24, 2011, 1:26 pm
MKB
Original Poster

Originally Posted by piratejo
I got clarification via email last night its THB2500 for return transfer, but as pointed out above: activities planned do not include this boat transfer so its an automatic THB2500 on top of every excursion even when booking through the resort! Majority of excursion costs are THB3300 per person for group trips and then THB2500 for the 5 minute boat ride.
My recollection -- albeit starting to get a bit hazy now -- is that the activities brochure in the concierge office listed boat transfers as included in the activity prices. What is the source for the information that they are not?

Like Mario33, I don't understand some of the criticisms being made, some attacking speculation rather than fact, and some from people with suspiciously low post counts.

I had some minor gripes, but hope to return when I'm next in this part of the world. I thought the resort was fabulous. I'd be interested to read about the experience of others after they've been, rather than before they've been.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.