Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
I booked this through AMEX FHR, and added my dad's Marriott Titanium number: since this was a gift, I put in my card on file. However, after charging the first night + tax on my card, they confirmed that it was infact my card and they will not be able to accept it/ I promptly provided them my father's eligible AMEX, which they charged immediately, and all's good. They assured (and also gave me in writing on email), that they will refund me the amount charged on my card
Are you talking about the resort or AMEX? I've done prepaid bookings for someone else through AMEX several times with no issue, including in Thailand. If it's the resort that contacted you, they are being unnecessarily difficult.

Based on reports in this thread, I would not consider this resort unless booked in a villa. And reports are they will not upgrade from the rooms to the villas.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by Kacee
Are you talking about the resort or AMEX? I've done prepaid bookings for someone else through AMEX several times with no issue, including in Thailand. If it's the resort that contacted you, they are being unnecessarily difficult.

Based on reports in this thread, I would not consider this resort unless booked in a villa. And reports are they will not upgrade from the rooms to the villas.
It was the resort that contacted me. I guess since I contacted the hotel proactively to arrange ground transportation for my parents and told them explicitly that this trip was an anniversary gift, I believe they asked. They told me that the card used at booking and at check-in should be the same.

Well, now I know that I (well, my parents) should not expect an upgrade to a villa. Maybe a decent suite...alas, I am within the 30 day cancellation period, so, no cancels.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 6:58 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I’d talk to the property and see if they will agree to cancel. I’ve stayed here a few times but with the new developments it is completely off my radar.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Currently available for $100 a night using Megatix vouchers (3 nights -> 17,000 Baht Certificate -> 10,000 Baht Net) including boat transfers.

Should I go for it? I'm in HKT anyway and would like some change of scenery for a few days.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Amb MR PLAT
Go for it!! thats a great deal..
Old Oct 18, 2020, 8:07 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
For the villas with the pools or the rooms in the building?
Old Oct 19, 2020, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Booked a three night stay in a basic room for this week and was upgraded to Tropical Pool Villa as Titanium. I haven't checked in yet but I might ask to just get the Luxury Suite instead as I'm not a big fan of one room villas, I prefer to let the A/C run in an adjacent room.

Total for 3 nights is 17,520 Baht and I bought a 17,000 Baht Megatix certificate for 10k. This rate includes breakfast.

Update: I cancelled my stay short after arrival because the property is so old and deteriorated that I'm passing on this. The villa was meh, really nothing special with the bathroom not attached to the guestroom (you have to step outside into a walkway with insects) and there is no a/c in the bathroom either.

I had a look at an alternative room which smelled absolutely horrible. Disgusting! I wouldn't stay here for free and immediately went back.
Sohan and TalkingPoint like this.

Last edited by skywalkerLAX; Oct 20, 2020 at 3:05 am
Old Oct 23, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Booked a three night stay in a basic room for this week and was upgraded to Tropical Pool Villa as Titanium. I haven't checked in yet but I might ask to just get the Luxury Suite instead as I'm not a big fan of one room villas, I prefer to let the A/C run in an adjacent room.

Total for 3 nights is 17,520 Baht and I bought a 17,000 Baht Megatix certificate for 10k. This rate includes breakfast.

Update: I cancelled my stay short after arrival because the property is so old and deteriorated that I'm passing on this. The villa was meh, really nothing special with the bathroom not attached to the guestroom (you have to step outside into a walkway with insects) and there is no a/c in the bathroom either.

I had a look at an alternative room which smelled absolutely horrible. Disgusting! I wouldn't stay here for free and immediately went back.
Ouch!

We are scheduled here for 3 nights starting Sunday.
And they have put us in the Tropical Pool Villa.

I will report back.

Travel Safe
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 10:14 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Update,

We stayed for 4 nights and had a great time.

Our Tropical Pool Villa was really nice, plenty of light during the day and black out drapes at night. The AC worked really well and even the walkway to the bathroom and bathroom were not too hot, just run the ceiling fan.
One night it rained and I did slip on the pavers on my way to the bathroom so you have to watch that.

The food was really nice, room service was also quick.

Not sure we would return once rates are back to normal in the high season but for now this resort is well worth the visit.
skywalkerLAX, Kacee and ftrichard like this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rebadc
Update,

We stayed for 4 nights and had a great time.

Our Tropical Pool Villa was really nice, plenty of light during the day and black out drapes at night. The AC worked really well and even the walkway to the bathroom and bathroom were not too hot, just run the ceiling fan.
One night it rained and I did slip on the pavers on my way to the bathroom so you have to watch that.

The food was really nice, room service was also quick.

Not sure we would return once rates are back to normal in the high season but for now this resort is well worth the visit.
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.

For my upcoming birthday four weeks from now I decided to play it safe and will go back to W Samui and Vana Belle instead,
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott (Titanium), British Airways (Gold), American Airlines
Great Stay

Stayed for 7 days in a sea view villa on the Sunset side over the Christmas holiday, with 2 adults and one child. We booked a wellness package that included private pickup and drop off from Phuket International, daily breakfast buffet, daily 2 course lunch, daily 3 course dinner, and 4 spa treatments (per adult, so 8 total). I think when we booked we got some pandemic special pricing, as this package was cheaper than the regular room rate. For seven nights, our total room and package with tax was around $3600 USD. This was a phenomenal value.

Room: Villa was exceptional, and the private pool was icing on the cake. Pictures on the website and trip advisor are accurate. Room was large, and everything worked well. A/C was cold, but be aware A/C only works in the bedroom, as the bathroom and closets are open air. TV and WiFi worked well. Housekeeping was excellent, and did a full service around lunch, and very thorough turndown around dinner.

Service: Service was overall exceptional. The staff work hard to accommodate the guests, and it seemed like staff outnumbered guests 2 to 1. My daughter did several of the children’s activities (crab racing, tie-dye, daily ice cream), and enjoyed them all thoroughly. The resort has an attendant that runs free paddleboard and kayak rentals, and there is a local man that runs jet ski rental ($2500 THB for 1 hour was a good deal, and we did it twice). We were about 250m from the main dining area, and a call to the front desk would get a golf cart to pick you up at your villa within a few minutes.

Concierge: We took advantage of the concierge’s tour department, and booked two tours. Although slightly more expensive than booking on the economy, the convenience and pickup from the resort’s dock was worth the cost. Our first trip was an early bird boat trip to James Bond Island, the Muslim Fishing Village, a cave, and lunch in town. Cost was about $250 USD for 2 adults and one child, and was excellent. Second tour was for 4 adults and 2 children to a nearby ethical Elephant sanctuary. Cost was approx. $500 for all six, and included lunch. We also really enjoyed this trip, and recommend it. Both trips were clean and safe, and provided tons of great picture opportunities. Finally, we let the concierge know during booking that we were celebrating our 15th anniversary the day we checked in, and they included a lovely gift and recognition in the room when we checked in.

Food & Beverage: Restaurants were all excellent. Breakfast is at Tonsai, and the buffett is massive, with good choices for anyone, including a through spread of Western, European, and Asian options. For lunch, Rum Chappell was great for bar food and Thai food, and for lunch Tonsai was great Thai and Asian food. For dinner, Tonsai rotated through a few buffet nights (pass on these and order the Thai food). Rum Chapel had the same lunch menu, and was consistently good for burgers, pizzas, calamari, etc. We also at the My Grill 3 times, with mixed results. The first night we ordered the tomahawk steak, which was not covered on the package menu. Although expensive, it was excellent, as were the sides. The second time we went, we again ordered off the regular (non-package) menu, and started with the seafood tower. We unfortunately, had to send this back, as everything was overcooked. The staff / manager were gracious about this, and removed the charge. We then ordered off the package menu, and everything was excellent. The final night (Christmas eve) we had the choice between Tonsai’s X-mas dinner at $90 USD per adult, or My Grill (Rum Chapel closed a 6 due to the holiday). We opted for My Grill, as our package covered it. Both restaurants were slammed, but service was good. Dinner was fine, steak was overcooked. My bottom line is, if you’re travelling to Thailand from anywhere else in Asia, go for the Thai and Asian food. I would plan one nice dinner at My Grill and order some of the specials. Other than that, go to Tonsai and try everything over the course of your stay – we didn’t have a single miss there. And then when you want quick and casual, head to Rum Chapel. Also, since most of our food was covered by the package, our daughter ordered happily off the kids menu each meal, and our charge was usually $6-$10 USD per meal.

Alcohol: All three of the above restaurants serve beer, wine, and spirits, and they are definitely resort priced. Rum Chapel has a 2-4-1 happy hour from 1-2 and 4-5, and that was a good deal. The Z Bar (on the north end of the island) is great for a sunset cocktail, and features a selected cocktail each day for 2-4-1, during their operating hours (I believe 5pm-10pm). The best deal on the island however is the beer boat – the resort will deliver 5 thai beers, spicy nuts and fried broad beans to your pool in a floating boat for 600 THB, or $18. I don’t think we got the Titanium 20% off since it was room service, but still a good deal. We did not try room service. If you want to save a few dollars, there is a taxi stand at the land side pier, and you can pay them 200 THB for a quick, 5 minute round trip to 7-11 and stock up yourself.

Marriott Elite: We are Titanium status with Marriott. The main perks were free breakfast for two (but we already had this in our package), and 20% off any F&B we ordered off menu not covered by our package. Since our package came with breakfast for two adults, they let me apply the Titanium breakfast benefit to my daughter’s breakfast, so we had no upcharge there. I believe it also added two glasses of prosecco at breakfast. We asked for a late checkout, and they offered us another, standard room for our last three hours, as we had late flights. This was helpful / adequate.

Upgrades: I did inquire shortly before arrival about upgrading. We were in a very high class of room, with only the beachfront and 2 bedroom family villa being higher. We inquired about upgrading to the 2 bedrooms villa, and were quoted a rate of approximately $1500 per day! Too rich for us. The room did sit empty the entire time we were there, but I also understand you aren’t going to get upgraded to the Presidential suite very often. Some companions we were traveling with who had no Marriott status were graciously upgraded from a garden view to a partial ocean view, and they were very happy with that. I don’t recommend booking here on points, as I’ve heard from other travelers that the resort will not upgrade you from a base room to a villa. And if you are going to travel all this way, get a villa.

One off note: We were picked up at the airport and driven to the land-side pier. However, we were dropped off at a random taxi stand with no signage for the resort. We stood there for ten minutes not sure what to do. Finally one of the taxi drivers said "Naka Island?" and we said yes. He said wait. 5 minutes later a golf cart showed up to pick us up and take us the rest of the way to the pier. If it was dark out, I would have been more uncomfortable with the situation. The resort should put up signage at the stand with the name of the resort, a phone number, and a note that the cart comes every 15 minutes, just for peace of mind.

Overall: I would go back in a heartbeat, more so if I could get a half board or full board package that included food, as it helps us budget. I think if we had not got the wellness package, our full cost could have been well over $10,000 USD for the week. Our final bill for 7 days, the two excursions mentioned above, 3 off menus dinners, a few bottles of wine, cocktails, and beer boats was about $5200 USD. This makes this one of the best value luxury / 5-star vacations we’ve ever had, so we feel very pleased. Should we head back to Phuket, this is where we will go. And you should too.
dgreen12 and civicmon like this.

Last edited by tofumatt; Jan 5, 2022 at 7:28 pm Reason: type
Old Jun 5, 2022, 6:15 am

Hoping someone who has stayed at this hotel could provide guidance…. I originally booked a beach front villa (with no pool) but now have the option to book a seaview pool villa.

How valuable is the private plunge pool at your villa? The seaview is now selling for a couple hundred dollars more than my original oceanfront booking.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by OptionsCLE
Hoping someone who has stayed at this hotel could provide guidance…. I originally booked a beach front villa (with no pool) but now have the option to book a seaview pool villa.

How valuable is the private plunge pool at your villa? The seaview is now selling for a couple hundred dollars more than my original oceanfront booking.
I stayed a number of years ago and wouldn't pay hundreds more for a plunge pool -unless you really want a private pool (can't remember how private they are - did have one). They are small and can be quite cold depending on how shaded they are
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by OptionsCLE

I stayed here in 2019 and I think the view is worth more than the pool. I think I went in it only twice because it was so cold. I had the villa that was furtherest away near the bar at the end of the path. It was on the side that faced the bay and dock.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 8:50 pm

Looking for some advice. I have booked three nights in January using points (for our 30th anniversary trip) and have just contacted them to inquire about an upgrade. They have offered to allow us to upgrade to a tropical villa for 8000 THB/night or the seaview pool villa for 11,000 THB/night. For those who have been here, thoughts on these offers and which one would be the better option?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.