Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:17 pm

This thread is FULL of platinum experiences, did you even bother to read? Only the last page is already answering you questions. All IMHO

Anyway, in short: I stayed twice over the past 3 years (both paid stays). Don't expect an upgrade, apart from enhanced view/location. During lower season you might get an upgrade (from tropical villa to seaview villa in our case), during high season one of the better located villa's (seaview villa booked and got the one to the right of Z-bar with great views).

Great happy hour at Z-bar for plats.

Early check in and late check out: entirely depending on occupation.

Full breakfast.

It's a great hotel, enjoy!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: LH LT SEN, Bonvoy Titanium (former SPG Plat) + LTP
@Epicura

of course I read the posts, but those are from some months ago and I found reviews elsewhere that at least Happy Hour is suspended; full breakfast is included in most rates now

when was your last stay?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Epicura
This thread is FULL of platinum experiences, did you even bother to read? Only the last page is already answering you questions. All IMHO

Anyway, in short: I stayed twice over the past 3 years (both paid stays). Don't expect an upgrade, apart from enhanced view/location. During lower season you might get an upgrade (from tropical villa to seaview villa in our case), during high season one of the better located villa's (seaview villa booked and got the one to the right of Z-bar with great views).

Great happy hour at Z-bar for plats.

Full breakfast.

It's a great hotel, enjoy!
You forgot the great value of the free speedboat transfers. Unlimited. These cost real $ for non Platinums. As a Platinum you just tell them when you'd like to go and they take you both ways. Great resort. Great for Platinums.

And you're correct. This thread is full of Platinum experiences.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
flygirlde,
If you need a more visual representation of plat benefits, there's a review published on thepointsguy about 4 hours ago.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: LH LT SEN, Bonvoy Titanium (former SPG Plat) + LTP
great, thanks for the hint; this helps a lot
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
You mean I might get it if I'm a dentist, but not if I'm a lawyer?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Don't expect an upgrade, apart from enhanced view/location.
Unless your speedboat driver is 15 minutes late and you act like a spoiled child. https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/the...uket-thailand/
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
Unless your speedboat driver is 15 minutes late and you act like a spoiled child. https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/the...uket-thailand/
Wow, I can't even imagine what kind of upgrade would have been due if he'd been driven and left at the wrong pier, as happened with me. It is a shame that hotels have to sometimes prioritize people who are obnoxious and difficult over more agreeable customers to keep things running smoothly.
remymartin likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: Marriott LTP
Does any have any experience with Platinum Benefits being extended to a second room? Also - would they charge kids for breakfast...?

I reached out to the property about the benefits, and they seem insistent that the breakfast is continental for 2 only, that you only receive one free speedboat transfer (not unlimited). They also don't mention any sort of happy hour, or any food discount...

Given that the email information seems to be substantially at odds with people's recent experience, I am wondering what to reasonably expect...

I was going on the premise that Platinum treatment would be substantially better at this property, but their underwhelming response is making me consider the Meridien, JWM or Renaissance instead.

Any thoughts from those more familiar with these 4 properties than I? I have read all of the Starwood and Marriott threads, but it seems that the situation has changed somewhat in the last year (Marriotts no longer giving breakfast etc.). Priorities for our family trip are beach, activities and pool, plus reasonably affordable food options. Quality of room is less important, as we will tend to do excursions, and get out an about.

Any advice for me? I'd love to hear it...

Thanks
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by smokie
Does any have any experience with Platinum Benefits being extended to a second room? Also - would they charge kids for breakfast...?

I reached out to the property about the benefits, and they seem insistent that the breakfast is continental for 2 only, that you only receive one free speedboat transfer (not unlimited). They also don't mention any sort of happy hour, or any food discount...

Given that the email information seems to be substantially at odds with people's recent experience, I am wondering what to reasonably expect...

I was going on the premise that Platinum treatment would be substantially better at this property, but their underwhelming response is making me consider the Meridien, JWM or Renaissance instead.

Any thoughts from those more familiar with these 4 properties than I? I have read all of the Starwood and Marriott threads, but it seems that the situation has changed somewhat in the last year (Marriotts no longer giving breakfast etc.). Priorities for our family trip are beach, activities and pool, plus reasonably affordable food options. Quality of room is less important, as we will tend to do excursions, and get out an about.

Any advice for me? I'd love to hear it...

Thanks
To be honest, if those are your priorities you and your family then Naka Island isn't the place for you no matter what the Platinum Benefits. Others may disagree but it's a quiet romantic couples getaway resort. The beach isn't great and you're pretty much trapped on the island unless you take the speedboat to the mainland marina. And that's nowhere near anything interesting. It's not the place for excursions and eating out regularly. From what you've said I'd choose Le Meridien with its private beach and proximity to Patong. In fact, I'm back at Le Meridien in two weeks time despite having an amazing (couples) holiday on Naka a few years ago.

Judging by the write-up linked to further up the thread, the Platinum benefits have been drastically scaled back recently and this would drastically affect Naka as my choice of SPG resort in Thailand because it's one of the more expensive - alongside the Samui properties with their similar absence of Platinum value. I valued the free speedboat transfers whenever we booked them (not too many) and the Platinum happy hour at sunset was a highlight for me. I valued these benefits and it's one reason I booked it. If these benefits have now gone then me too. I'm not going back. The two Sheratons in Hua Hin still treat Platinums like we're valued so they'd get my business. Pranburi is another former Six Senses resort with private villas and once you're inside your villa the experience is the same as Naka at half the price. And they do happy hour for Plats.

In Phuket with your family, I'd go to Le Meridien.
smokie and remymartin like this.

Last edited by ftrichard; Jan 30, 2018 at 4:08 pm
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: HHonorsGold, MarriottPlat, BAEC Gold, FlyingBlue Silver
Underwhelming experience

Just returned from 3 nights at Naka Island and found it a rather underwhelming experience.
Check-in procedure took painfully long and basically they just keep you hanging around without any information what’s going on. Took us about 30 minutes for the process. Benefits were hastily explained when we were shown to the villa.
No upgrade, breakfast chosen as benefit. There’s no Platinum drinks, but you get a 50% discount on a package a Z Bar.
Overall service feels pretty amateur and “sorry for the inconvenience” was something we heard quite often. Food at Tonsai is mediocre at best and service is rather hectic. The Grill is better, but also has another price tag attached.
Check-out was yet again an experience, where they forgot to pick us and our luggage up at the agreed time. After a reminder phone call after 15 minutes another sorry and yet nothing happened. We then decided to leave our bags outside and walk to the reception building after 30 minutes waiting, where we had to wait to settle our bill. Sometime after someone came to pick up our bags that we left outside and then take us to the pier. A boat was meant to be ready for us,, but actually was only called when we reached the pier and had to come over from the Phuket Marina. I was glad we weren’t heading for flight....
Overall, with that price-tag there’s much better resorts around the island.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: SPG PLT, HH Gold
Silly question, but does anyone else think the the floors in at the property look really cheap, like concrete that you would see on the floor at Home Depot? Are the pictures they post bad, is the real, or maybe this is just a matter of personal taste?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:57 am

Seems like Naka Island added additional rooms, which are regular "Deluxe Rooms" and no suites.
So SPG should also adjust the limited SPG participation of the property... So far no points booking possible for the new room.
All rooms at The Naka Island, Phuket are villas; therefore, Starpoint Award reservations must be booked at a higher Starpoint rate through your local customer contact center.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:10 am

For those who have stayed here & asked your driver to stop at a 7-11 or similar, were you able to just make a general request that you wanted to stop in a store on the way, or did you give them a specific location of where to stop? Any recommendations on a transport company? It looks like the resort´s private transfers are quite a bit more than the other companies, is it worth it for convenience sake to just book with the hotel, or should I seek an outside company?

Also, with the speed boat transfers which are supposedly free/unlimited for plats - if we take the transfer for a day out, is there much to do around the area your dropped off, or would we also need to find transportation to an area with more activities?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Chellyx
For those who have stayed here & asked your driver to stop at a 7-11 or similar, were you able to just make a general request that you wanted to stop in a store on the way, or did you give them a specific location of where to stop? Any recommendations on a transport company? It looks like the resort´s private transfers are quite a bit more than the other companies, is it worth it for convenience sake to just book with the hotel, or should I seek an outside company?

Also, with the speed boat transfers which are supposedly free/unlimited for plats - if we take the transfer for a day out, is there much to do around the area your dropped off, or would we also need to find transportation to an area with more activities?
1.there are many convenience stores on the way and pharmacies and it is no problem asking your driver to stop for 5 minutes. I normally just use the hotel transfer because it is so convenient. I would otherwise take a taxi.
if you intend to visit other places in Phuket, you can also consider renting a car (that’s what I do on most trips). There is ample car park at the marina and then you can just go anywhere you want.

2.to be honest, the Naka is wonderful but it is not a good starting point for exploring the rest of Phuket. There isn’t much at the marina and the surrounding villages are residential. Suggest you enjoy Naka island and stay there or choose a different hotel and explore what Phuket has to offer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.