Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort, NV [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort, NV [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy LTT, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond
Arrow Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort (formerly Loews; Hyatt Regency Lake LV) [Master Thread]

Originally Posted by dankyone
Has anyone been since the changeover to Westin?
Was there the day after the changeover for 2 nights. All the signs were already changed, as well as all the linens & toiletries. They know all about Plat amenities at the front desk, including breakfast. Was upgraded to the top floor, best view, but it appears every room is a suite anyway.

The local golf course is still shut down, but they are watering the greens, so there is hope it may re-open at some point. The good news is that there are about 8 village restaurants open and serving good food. I can highly recommend "Sunset and Vines", as well as "Bernard's Bistro". There is a free shuttle to the village, otherwise about a 15 minute walk.

Overall a nice property, well-maintained and good facilities. Definitely nicer than your average Westin, an no comparison to the Westin just off the strip.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:01 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I have been here on 3 separate nights since it became a Westin. Quite a few teething pains for sure.

My first night was on the 11th of April. I arrived at 5 PM and valet says I can park myself or pay $15 for valet. In Vegas, pay for valet?! Anyway, I pay and head in, and a the front desk they tell me that my room was not yet ready. I asked about a suite upgrade being Platinum, but they told me that a big group had been there for 2 weeks and there were no suites to be had. My following 2 stays the group was still at the hotel and thus no suite upgrades either.

So, there I am at 5 PM, two tired young kids from driving all morning, and no room. They give us free drink coupons and tell me it can be used at the bar in the lobby area, but that it can also be used at the pool bar and it would be nicer to go out to the pool. So, we start the trek to the pool, get to the pool bar, and are advised it has just closed, at 5 PM! Why doesn't the FD person know this?!

So, I head to the lobby lounge and get some drinks. Kids want to go swimming, and it is around 5:45, so I go back to the FD and ask if the room is ready. Nope. So, ask where we can get changed, and they say we can get changed at the Spa. So, go get changed, get out to the pool at 6 PM, and.... lifeguard tells us that the pool is closing at 6 PM. What?! The sun doesn't even begin to set until 7 PM, but all the pools are closed at 6 PM.

So, head back up to FD to check on room and ask the FD guy about the pools closing so early. He is shocked that they are being closed, he said he thought they would be open longer. Tells me that the hot tub is open until 10 PM. Room is STILL not ready, but FD guy says if I don't care about an upgraded room they can put me on a lower floor. I tell them I will take the lower floor.

A guy takes us to our room, fills ice bucket, asks us if we need anything. We ask for towels for the hot tub (outdoor pool towel area is closed), he says he will have them sent right down. We wait 10 minutes, nothing coming, so we head up to the FD and see the guy that took us to our room. I ask him about the towels and he goes and gets them for us.

About 7 PM we head back in and I go to concierge to ask about what restaurants are in the hotel. He says they have two, the Cafe and a Sushi place. We head down to Cafe and.... its closed! So, we head back up to concierge to ask about it, and he said, "Oh, if its closed just go to the Sushi place, they offer the Cafe menu when the Cafe is closed". So, head back down to Sushi place, wait in line for 5 minutes as they seat other parties in front of us. Its our turn, I ask about the Cafe menu and the person there tells me they don't offer the Cafe menu there, but we can get the Cafe menu up at the lobby bar. So, head up to lobby bar and finally get dinner.

Head back to the room, get kids to bed, and I have to work for a few hours. The internet is "free" as part of the $22 resort fee. The downside to this is that the internet is complete CRAP!!! Extremely slow at times, but sometimes fast. But, apart from speed, there is some serious issues with the internet. On my computer almost every webpage requires refreshing 2-3 times before it loads, there is something in their router that causes web pages to just fail or stall in loading. It is extremely frustrating.

With all of the above I didn't get upset, I chalk it up to the first month growing pains. Everybody was apologetic and the hotel itself is very nice. The following morning there was a note under my door from the FD person that helped me apologizing for everything, giving me the 500 pts amenity on top of the breakfast I chose and waiving the resort fee. Funny though, the letter was on Lowes stationary!

That morning we went to the Cafe for breakfast. I asked about the Platinum breakfast coupons and the waiter said we can have the continental breakfast which includes juice, hot drink, yoghurt, and a pastry. Or, we could apply the value of the coupon towards anything on the menu. We opted to do that, and ordered from the menu. Halfway through eating, the waiter comes back and says he made a mistake, that we can't order from the menu and apply any credit. Of course I tell him we wouldn't have ordered from the menu if that was the case. He runs around and comes back and says he will take care of it.

When the bill comes he comped 2 breakfasts and charged for my 2 kids breakfast, but then gave me back both breakfast coupons. Not sure what to make of that, but I just went ahead and paid the $15 and kept the breakfast coupons. When checking out later in the day I noticed that the $15 on my bill had been comped, but the resort charge was still showing, which the FD proceeded to remove.

Things went quite a bit smoother on my 2nd stay, room ready on time and since I knew about the pools/restaurants I didn't get tripped up with early closings. But, on checkout of the 2nd stay they couldn't figure out how to print out my folio of charges and said instead they would email it to me.

Did I mention the hotel is very nice?

It is great for kids. 2 big heated pools, play ground, kiddie pool, hot tub, beach, pedal boats. I just wish it wasn't raining for 2 of the 3 days we are here.

With 2 young kids, when I find myself in Vegas I always stay far off the strip. Usually at Green Valley Ranch or Red Rock. The Westin will be my new go-to place when the family is with me in Vegas.

Originally Posted by Ubud
Was upgraded to the top floor, best view, but it appears every room is a suite anyway.
I don't know how you come to the conclusion that every room is a suite. All 3 stays I was in a regular room. I am currently in my room on the 9th floor (top floor), and looking at the map on the door, every room on this floor, except for the Presidential Suite and one other Suite, is a standard non-suite room.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by whimike

I don't know how you come to the conclusion that every room is a suite. All 3 stays I was in a regular room. I am currently in my room on the 9th floor (top floor), and looking at the map on the door, every room on this floor, except for the Presidential Suite and one other Suite, is a standard non-suite room.
Thanks for the report, whimike.

As pointed out in one of my earlier posts, I assume, based on my experiences at the property during the Hyatt days, that the junior suites will be in the suite upgrade pool.

If they did not remodel the rooms, we are basically talking about a junior suite barely bigger than the regular rooms, so really nothing to write home about.

I assume that they do not have a club lounge. The property had a Regency Club back in the days, which was very small, but better than nothing.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by FD1971
Thanks for the report, whimike.

As pointed out in one of my earlier posts, I assume, based on my experiences at the property during the Hyatt days, that the junior suites will be in the suite upgrade pool.

If they did not remodel the rooms, we are basically talking about a junior suite barely bigger than the regular rooms, so really nothing to write home about.

I assume that they do not have a club lounge. The property had a Regency Club back in the days, which was very small, but better than nothing.
Right across from my room is a door that says "Club" on it. My key didn't work and the door has a frosted window where you can't make out much of anything, but what little I could gather it looked empty/unfinished. I have no idea if they plan on remodeling/opening it, but I will make a point of asking the FD tomorrow when I check out.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: United 1K, Starwood Platinum
Re Westin Las Vegas not on the strip

Thanks for all the info re my OP.. I am looking for a place not on the strip, and
sounds like this hotel is pretty remote and relaxing. I will post after my stay and share my impressions re this hotel.
Thanks again
KarensuePDX
Old Apr 15, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Is three nights at this resort too much?

I planning to go there in early June with my wife, We're the kind of people that just love to sit by the pool and do nothing.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 8:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Category 3!

This hotel is starting out in SPG as a Category 3. Either the property has gone down hill a lot since its Hyatt days, or it is the best SPG points value in North America. The freakin' Element in Summerlin is higher at a Cat. 4!

Get it while you can. If this current year's revaluations are any indication, this property will be at Cat. 6 in lightening speed.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
This hotel is starting out in SPG as a Category 3.

Get it while you can. If this current year's revaluations are any indication, this property will be at Cat. 6 in lightening speed.
Or before it follows the same path as the Hyatt and Lowes before it and closes up, even the Ritz near by went belly up I believe thats the 1st Ritz ever to do so
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:21 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by christianj
Just an aside...Hilton just picked up the Planet Hollywood Westgate Tower adding another HH option in LV. Just don't get that *W can't get their act together on the strip.
None of the major hotel chains have a real presence on the strip because there are so many ridiculously opulent properties to compete with. I strongly doubt a W-branded hotel would be able to compete unless the building was completely unique (like W Barcelona).

Last edited by uxb; Apr 26, 2012 at 5:26 am
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:25 am
uxb

Originally Posted by KarensuePDX
Just booked res for the Westin in Vegas. Has anyone stayed there yet? Opinions? I'll be happy to share my experience after stay!
karensuePDX
The Westin Las Vegas is a dark, smokey dump that is off the strip by a block. Kinda dodgey. I wouldn't return unless I was desperate to stay somewhere cheap, but didn't want to get eaten alive by bed bugs. In short, it's a poor man's Trump Hotel, which is better because it is completely non-smoking.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:45 pm

-----------------
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by uxb
None of the major hotel chains have a real presence on the strip because there are so many ridiculously opulent properties to compete with. I strongly doubt a W-branded hotel would be able to compete unless the building was completely unique (like W Barcelona).
I think the poster was talking about Starwood as a whole chain.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 5:50 am
uxb

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
And I was responding about *wood as a whole. The only thing that could possibly draw people is a W on the strip, but it would cost lots of money to make it compete w/ the other properties already on the strip.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by uxb
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
And I was responding about *wood as a whole. The only thing that could possibly draw people is a W on the strip, but it would cost lots of money to make it compete w/ the other properties already on the strip.
Any of the new City Center properties could effectively be rebranded as a W. Aria, Vdara, etc... are all pretty "chic" and W-like.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by whimike
are all pretty "chic" and W-like.
All of the city center hotels are way better than any W in the world (without considering the resorts), except for Vdara maybe, the others are classy 5 star hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.